Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modern Spare - Usage Report

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen some questions posted to see if anyone has had to use a Modern Spare. As (bad) luck would have it, I did on Saturday. I was traveling to Dallas from Denver and decided to detour a bit and spend the night at the hotel next to the Tucumcari, NM Supercharger. I hit a nasty piece of road debris about 10 miles from the hotel, which resulted in an instant flat tire (rear left, if that matters). Luckily I had purchased a Modern Spare kit back in October.

The jack itself was a little flimsy, as most scissor jacks are, and there wasn't quite enough clearance for a jack pad, but it didn't seem to need it. Otherwise, it ratcheted up fine, I was able to get the old tire off and the spare on. I did have to turn it a couple of times to find holes that lined up, as there are 10 on the spare, but only 5 lugs. All in all, it took me about 15 minutes to unpack, figure out the parts, and finish up.

Once I got to the hotel and put in a roadside ticket on my phone, checked in, and went upstairs. They called shortly thereafter and all they could do was tow me to the nearest Tesla service center in Santa Fe, MN, which was about 180 miles away. I was told that they would cover the first 50 miles, and I had to pay for the other 130. I was really hoping they could come repair the tire, or replace the entire wheel, but not in the middle of NM. I declined, as I had the spare, and needed some time to figure out what to do.

Without boring everyone with the details, I decided the best course-of-action was to try to head home and get as far as I could before the spare gave out. I detoured up to Las Vegas, NM where I could hit the Supercharger and look at the tire to see how it was doing. If not good, I was way closer to Santa Fe. No issues and the tire looked fine, so I pressed on to the Trinidad Supercharger staying under 65 and stopping every hour or so to let the tire "rest". Made it to Trinidad, tire still looked good, and felt fine in the back (no separation), so off I went. Ultimately, that spare made it 455 miles to my house and still looks like it can take more. I emailed Modern Spare about it and they commonly see 200-1,000 miles on their spares. Take that for what it's worth. The outside temps were between 40 and 60 degrees, which helped. I doubt the tire would have held up in summer temps.

I took it to the tire shop this morning and they found that the debris tore up the sidewall, so it wasn't repairable anyway. Luckily, I had just purchased a new set of tires a few weeks ago (after a PREVIOUS encounter with road debris), so it was a free warranty replacement.

I think I need to find some Fred Flintstone-style stone tires for the car....

... staying under 65 and stopping every hour or so to let the tire "rest". .... Ultimately, that spare made it 455 miles to my house and still looks like it can take more.
Did you have the spare at the front or the rear?
Did you check if the brakes were hot?

The problem with spare tires is when the outside diameter is not identical to the other tire,
because the traction control then try to slow one of the wheels using the brake.

Did you have the spare at the front or the rear?
Did you check if the brakes were hot?

The problem with spare tires is when the outside diameter is not identical to the other tire,
because the traction control then try to slow one of the wheels using the brake.
Left rear. I did not really have a way to check temps, but I was very careful to use regen braking as much as possible.

Speaking of which, I think I was suppose to make some traction control settings changes (in hindsight). I did not even think about it on the drive back.

Reactions: ArtK
I am also a believer of having a proper spare tire.
One problem I have is that Modern Spare takes forever to ship & deliver.
I ordered mine at the beginning of Jan 2022; I am still waiting.
It is amazing that I have my MY delivered before the spare tire....LoL

Left rear. I did not really have a way to check temps, but I was very careful to use regen braking as much as possible.

Speaking of which, I think I was suppose to make some traction control settings changes (in hindsight). I did not even think about it on the drive back.
I suppose you got the Model Y version with 145/85R18 Tire and 27.7” outside diameter.
The issue with the traction control was when using the Model 3 version with 135/80/R18 Tire and 26.5” diameter.

Reactions: ArtK
Maybe I missed something. Why didn't you just drive to a local tire shop in NM to replace the tire and continue on your trip? Instead of driving 455 miles home on the spare? I understand you had a new set of tires waiting for you at home, but a couple hundred dollars to replace the tire and continue sounds like a lot less hassle and worry then driving 455 miles on a spare.

Sorry you had to use yours but also congratulations on being prepared!

I considered the Modern Spare since I use my car primarily for roadtrips to enjoy the outdoors. I decided to go with just a plug kit and auxiliary 12v pump. Better than nothing; but, not as good as a spare.

Maybe I missed something. Why didn't you just drive to a local tire shop in NM to replace the tire and continue on your trip? Instead of driving 455 miles home on the spare? I understand you had a new set of tires waiting for you at home, but a couple hundred dollars to replace the tire and continue sounds like a lot less hassle and worry then driving 455 miles on a spare.
It happened Saturday evening and most nearby places were already closed and looked to be closed on Sunday, as well. Amarillo made sense and was on my way, but I only saw Firestone open on Sundays and I can't get them to work on a Telsa here in Denver. I didn't want to take that chance and then be further from either home or a Tesla service center if they couldn't/wouldn't fix it. I also didn't know the extent of the damage to the tire and, possibly, the wheel.

I am also a believer of having a proper spare tire.
One problem I have is that Modern Spare takes forever to ship & deliver.
I ordered mine at the beginning of Jan 2022; I am still waiting.
It is amazing that I have my MY delivered before the spare tire....LoL
Ordered mine in Jan also. Actually sent them a message last week asking the status. They said it should ship this week.

Reactions: bruce4000
Sorry you had to use yours but also congratulations on being prepared!

I considered the Modern Spare since I use my car primarily for roadtrips to enjoy the outdoors. I decided to go with just a plug kit and auxiliary 12v pump. Better than nothing; but, not as good as a spare.
I have (will) both. Plug kit would come in handy for easy repairs. Spare to get me and the family off the highway to someplace safe.

Reactions: Itsuo-DC
I sure hope when the Cybertruck comes out there are some better options for spares. Not panning Modern Spare, but I end up places where a donut type spare won't cut it. I probably shouldn't be taking the Model Y some of the places I do.