Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modern Spare - Usage Report

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good info on your usage of the Modernspare kjwalker01. I’m glad to hear it’s so durable. Fortunately, I haven’t had to use mine yet except when I rotated my tires recently. I agree that the jack is a little flimsy. But I really liked the quality and convenience of the ratchet used to operate the jack and I especially liked the lug wrench.
I read on another thread that the MY is stiff enough to jack one corner of the car and lift an entire side of the car. But since the jack looked a little flimsy and my jack puck started to distort I got nervous after I removed the rear tire. So, I attached the spare at that location and then moved the jack to lift the front tire.
For those interested, I posted last October how I stow the Modernspare under the “floorboards” in the cargo area with pictures. If I knew how to insert a link to that post I would LOL. But it’s entitled Modern Spare Finally Arrived!

Resurrecting an older post.

Just this morning, I finally took the time to try to install my Modern Spare on my 2021 MY. I was shocked to see that the ModernSpare hub opening is considerably larger (3"?) than the MY hub (2 1/2"?)

Maybe this is old-school thinking, but it has been my understanding that any wheel should fit snugly around the hub itself, so that the HUB is supporting the vertical stress of the wheel, and that the lugbolts/nuts simply hold the wheel on the hub.

Am I missing something here, or is the ModernSpare not designed properly for our rather heavy Tesla MYs?

Resurrecting an older post.

Just this morning, I finally took the time to try to install my Modern Spare on my 2021 MY. I was shocked to see that the ModernSpare hub opening is considerably larger (3"?) than the MY hub (2 1/2"?)

Maybe this is old-school thinking, but it has been my understanding that any wheel should fit snugly around the hub itself, so that the HUB is supporting the vertical stress of the wheel, and that the lugbolts/nuts simply hold the wheel on the hub.

Am I missing something here, or is the ModernSpare not designed properly for our rather heavy Tesla MYs?
Absolutly, ModernSpare should have included a Hub Centering Ring,

I got my spare from BimmerZone and the following 74mm - 65mm ring was included.

I like better the BimmerZone design of the wheel, with only 5 holes notches
with precise drilling manufacturing, and the included ring to center the wheel.

The BimmerZone Model 3 spare wheel, with a Maxxis T155 70 R18 (112M DOT Speed Rating) tire,
seems safer than the Model 3 ModernSpare with a T135 80 R18 (104M DOT Speed Rating) tire.
The Model Y ModernSpare tire is T145 85 R18 (103M DOT Speed Rating).

M3 Spare Inside Rim.jpg

Last edited:
Would be cool if they had a spare tire holder one could connect a full spare to their hitch when they needed for longer road trips.

I assume few have bothered with runflats on the Tesla due to wear, road noise and road manner?

BimmerZone? Which wheel did you purchase?

Well, BimmerZone used to have spares for the Model 3 / S / X.

BimmerZone still has has the Model S available:

Is it appropriate for the weight of the MY?

I don't know, I believe the Tesla Model 3 was using the BMW M5, see below:

To know if a spare will be compatible, check the following steps:

- 1. Check the bolt pattern: The Tesla Model 3 / Y use 5-114.3mm (5x4.5")​
- 2. Check the closest outer diameter diameter of the spare tire to the Model Y : 255/45R19 - 255/40R20​
- 3. Check the spare Tire Load Index

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Bikeman