Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modification to turn M3 trunk (w/ back seats down) into a dog crate?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently took delivery of a Model 3 and was able to implement my dog travel strategy: to push down the back seats and provide my dog, named Baby, with a bed to lay on. (Because, as much as l love Baby — and I love her a *lot* — she’s not allowed on the white seats!) It then occurred to me that she might prefer the bed to be in the trunk itself, which provides crate-like conditions of safety and security:

63EBAFC5-30A5-4AD2-849C-784AA55AF45C.jpeg

E9E5C959-5805-4A2C-8A21-18F7C38A0D50.jpeg

This arrangement also works well because the trunk door provides protection against any sliding if I were to accelerate at a high rate (you know...hypothetically speaking). Looking at these pictures, it occurred to me that it would be wonderful if I had a plastic gate to cover the opening into the main cabin. The gate could hang from the two notches used to secure the back seats up top, and could sit inside the gap between the back seats and the trunk at the bottom. It wouldn’t be 100% secure — if she really wanted to, she might be able to push through — but I suspect she’d feel safe and secure enough in there that she wouldn’t even attempt to escape.

With the ability to keep the climate on at all times, and leave a bowl of water in the trunk, this would convert the Model 3 into an ideal travel crate. You could travel with your dog and keep them safe if you needed to go shopping, or grab lunch, or even do tourist activities in places dogs aren’t allowed. In fact: if I had such a device, I think I’d employ it *while driving*, as (based on my limited experience in the M3) Baby gets anxious and walks around the back cabin, which concerns and distracts me and can divert my attention. I suspect that providing crate-like conditions might significantly calm her during the driving experience, making both of us better off.

So, I’m wondering: has anyone incorporated something similar to this? To the enterprising folks out there, and any vendors who find their way into this thread: is this possible? I suspect there would be a market for this product, as the trunk is large enough to work as a crate for dogs much larger than mine (she’s ~25 pounds). I’d certainly buy one, if this idea were feasible.

Reactions: MAYAND

Thank you for the link — I wasn’t aware that these types of devices were available.

I’m wondering: have you successfully used that particular device in a Model 3? Now that I know these things exist I suppose my question to the community is whether there is a particular existing device that people have successfully used in their M3.

Update after an internet search I should have performed before starting this thread:

There is a company that makes pet barriers for Teslas...but they don’t have one for the Model 3 yet. Link

After performing measurements inside the Model 3 trunk and checking the available products on Amazon.com, I believe this product provides the best solution. The advantage of this product, versus the device I proposed above, is that this shouldn’t interfere with the raising and lowering of the back seats, so you shouldn’t have to keep installing and uninstalling each time you shift the seats. While there’s nothing to attach the device on the top or bottom, I think it will attach fairly securely on the inside of the trunk by extending the sides:

9CA0B1C5-3D56-455F-BD2D-386193509F1A.jpeg

1E8BD933-7B14-4C74-935D-4C5541EEBE23.jpeg

I’ll try it out and will update this post after the fact. I’ve benefitted immensely from contributions made by others on this forum, so I’m hopeful I can help even one future owner with a similar problem down the road.

Lastly, I still think there’s a market for a pet barrier specifically fit for the Model 3, as the dimensions are of the Model 3 trunk are unique relative to the “one size fits all” products that are available (primarily because the height is only 18-19”). I’m hopeful such a product will become available at some point.

• Informative
Reactions: lukex4
UPDATE: Cheap, workable, imperfect solution

I decided against the device above, since it would require me to close the trunk with my dog inside it. Instead, I decided on this cheap ($18) option that works well enough and that I can install from the inside of the car as needed:

2B3AC945-6E2C-4101-8859-7B2E8A8A8F23.jpeg

It provides nearly the precise dimensions needed for the Model 3; I’d love it to be a half-inch taller, but it’s reasonably tight on the sides. Certainly not the best for security (in that any motivated dog could likely escape), but I’m hopeful it can provide a safe and secure environment for my dog while I’m driving (with respect to her anxiety, hopefully eliminating her motivation to escape). In addition, it neatly fits in the trunk when the seats are folded back up:

805F7039-16CC-4429-92BE-67EECE48E28B.jpeg

I’m still hoping a custom piece is made for the Model 3, but I’ll roll with this for now and provide any updates that might help anyone in a similar situation.

• Informative
Reactions: MorrisonHiker

I decided against the device above, since it would require me to close the trunk with my dog inside it. Instead, I decided on this cheap ($18) option that works well enough and that I can install from the inside of the car as needed:

View attachment 365084

It provides nearly the precise dimensions needed for the Model 3; I’d love it to be a half-inch taller, but it’s reasonably tight on the sides. Certainly not the best for security (in that any motivated dog could likely escape), but I’m hopeful it can provide a safe and secure environment for my dog while I’m driving (with respect to her anxiety, hopefully eliminating her motivation to escape). In addition, it neatly fits in the trunk when the seats are folded back up:

View attachment 365085

I’m still hoping a custom piece is made for the Model 3, but I’ll roll with this for now and provide any updates that might help anyone in a similar situation.
You were soo clever to find that! I’m posting from the UK and it doesn’t seem to be currently available in the US or in the UK at all. i have a 5 year old Model S and didn’t buy the 3 because of my dogs. bought a used S instead for the same price whilst waiting for the Y. But no Ys in the UK yet and no dates. So this evening I bit the bullet and placed an order for a nearly new 3. And I have one dog now instead of two (😢). or it simply wouldn’t the possible. So grateful for your post and I’ll try to find something that will do the job in the UK! Thank you,

View attachment 365084

View attachment 365085

Brilliant! Just wish I could find one in the UK! Just about to trade my older model S in for a 3. We are not going to get the Y in the UK any time soon it seems..... given up waiting and now down to one dog (😢) which has made the 3 possible.

@Jivas - Brilliant solution! I just traded my M3 for an MY and soon realized it doesn't accommodate 2 crates for my mid sized (50lb) Australian Shepherds. I found this post for a barrier to keep them from jumping from the cargo compartment into the seating area: Dog Barrier for Model Y? But how to keep them from leaping out when I open the hatch? It would work if your dogs will reliably wait until you tell them it's OK to jump. But your idea is better for my "wild child" pups.

Found this by accident (I was searching “turn model three into hatchback”) and read into this… there is a reason that people—adults, children, babies—wear seatbelts or sit in car seats. Not only does any loose object in the back seat turn into a missile when you hit the breaks hard enough, or in a collision, but I don’t think your beloved pet will appreciate having their body pushed through that grate and turned into a few pounds of bony goo or scrambled like an egg in its shell when first responders open the trunk. Please consider looking at and supporting

I only put my bunnies back in the trunk. Sometimes I put the back seats downs.

But can dog mode (AC) work while seats are down? I assume AC should reach the trunk.

Kind of wish I had a Model Y for bunnies. Taking stroller & their carrier takes up the entire trunk and don't really have room for other stuff.

I recently took delivery of a Model 3 and was able to implement my dog travel strategy: to push down the back seats and provide my dog, named Baby, with a bed to lay on. (Because, as much as l love Baby — and I love her a *lot* — she’s not allowed on the white seats!) It then occurred to me that she might prefer the bed to be in the trunk itself, which provides crate-like conditions of safety and security:

View attachment 364544
View attachment 364545

This arrangement also works well because the trunk door provides protection against any sliding if I were to accelerate at a high rate (you know...hypothetically speaking). Looking at these pictures, it occurred to me that it would be wonderful if I had a plastic gate to cover the opening into the main cabin. The gate could hang from the two notches used to secure the back seats up top, and could sit inside the gap between the back seats and the trunk at the bottom. It wouldn’t be 100% secure — if she really wanted to, she might be able to push through — but I suspect she’d feel safe and secure enough in there that she wouldn’t even attempt to escape.

With the ability to keep the climate on at all times, and leave a bowl of water in the trunk, this would convert the Model 3 into an ideal travel crate. You could travel with your dog and keep them safe if you needed to go shopping, or grab lunch, or even do tourist activities in places dogs aren’t allowed. In fact: if I had such a device, I think I’d employ it *while driving*, as (based on my limited experience in the M3) Baby gets anxious and walks around the back cabin, which concerns and distracts me and can divert my attention. I suspect that providing crate-like conditions might significantly calm her during the driving experience, making both of us better off.

So, I’m wondering: has anyone incorporated something similar to this? To the enterprising folks out there, and any vendors who find their way into this thread: is this possible? I suspect there would be a market for this product, as the trunk is large enough to work as a crate for dogs much larger than mine (she’s ~25 pounds). I’d certainly buy one, if this idea were feasible.

We've done this in previous cars with a panel of chicken wire. We cut out around the seat fastening brackets, and use cable ties to fasten to suitable anchor points. We only drop one seat and that way we can still take passengers in the rear, the dog can go behind the seat for a little more den-like security when she wants, and the upright seat back helps hold the wire in place (the panel we got was wide enough to reach right across the boot). I hope that makes sense. I'll try find a photo to attach.