Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modification using the Front Camera Swich for video?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know this wont be a popular topic for some, but I was thinking that if we can add a front camera to the screen through the Front Video Switch Mod, would it possible to to create a cable to allow Video to be displayed in place of the rear camera on demand? I'm not into watching videos as I drive, but it would be nice to have the option....

Does anyone know if the back up camera camera uses a composite or digital signal?

I know this wont be a popular topic for some, but I was thinking that if we can add a front camera to the screen through the Front Video Switch Mod, would it possible to to create a cable to allow Video to be displayed in place of the rear camera on demand? I'm not into watching videos as I drive, but it would be nice to have the option....

Does anyone know if the back up camera camera uses a composite or digital signal?
Supposedly the signalling is at least partially, or perhaps mostly, proprietary. That's why artsci's camera switch requires a genuine Tesla camera in the front-mount position. You can't just hook up any old camera and have it work.

It is a LVDS signal. Not composite, not S-Video, not HDMI. Only the Tesla camera will work with the screen. In fact, artsci just tried connecting a composite video to LVDS converter to the screen to enable the inputting of a composite camera to the screen and it does not work.