TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Modification using the Front Camera Swich for video?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by relagustin, Jan 28, 2015.

1. relagustin

relagustin Member

I know this wont be a popular topic for some, but I was thinking that if we can add a front camera to the screen through the Front Video Switch Mod, would it possible to to create a cable to allow Video to be displayed in place of the rear camera on demand? I'm not into watching videos as I drive, but it would be nice to have the option....

Does anyone know if the back up camera camera uses a composite or digital signal?

2. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Supposedly the signalling is at least partially, or perhaps mostly, proprietary. That's why artsci's camera switch requires a genuine Tesla camera in the front-mount position. You can't just hook up any old camera and have it work.

3. swegman

swegman Member

It is a LVDS signal. Not composite, not S-Video, not HDMI. Only the Tesla camera will work with the screen. In fact, artsci just tried connecting a composite video to LVDS converter to the screen to enable the inputting of a composite camera to the screen and it does not work.