Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modifications to car made since delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What i the HID lamp upgrade?

Just changed out the bulbs Steve, but it was a bit of PIA

- - - Updated - - -

Thats a pretty impressive list of mods artsci!

Was curious if you had posted previously about "Tesla parking sensor system installed by 3[SUP]rd[/SUP] party"? I imagine you are using the actual sensors, installed/drilled into your bumper, but what is the visual output? Is it integrated into the 17" and dash display just like from the factory? If so, did you have to pay Tesla for a firmware upgrade?

Yes, it was the Tesla system. My car had the wiring harness for it and once the sensors were installed all it required was a firmware upgrade by my SC. Everything works just like it was factory installed. But they no longer will cooperate, so even though all pre-August 2013 Model S's had the wiring already installed it's now impossible to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Very awesome artsci! I always read you mod posts with interest.

I don't remember ever seeing a post about your "120V inverter in frunk", would love some details on what you installed and how.

I'll post photos and info on the frunk installed 12v inverter this weekend.

- - - Updated - - -

My wheels are Soleil LXM 1.
I'm probably wrong, but the 21s that come with Tesla look like they're painted or finished.
With the Soleil's, the rims (that I have) are black interior with silver facing out.
And because the silver just looked like polished metal, I figured I could take a grinder to it.

The damage was only on the lip of the rim, so I used electrical tape to quickly tape off the tires and spokes..just a minimal amount that was very near the curb rash. Even so it was gnarly. It looked like an irritated beaver on meth started chomping on my rim.

The grinding disc that I used (a blue one from lowes) on the angle grinder was for stainless steel. It won't cut anything but it will level out marks and even gouges. I just took it slow and at a very gentle angle where the face of the grinder wheel was looking at the rim. The rash was probably a foot around one part of the rim. I probably took 4 or 5 slow passes around the rim, pushing just enough to see the abrasions start to lessen from gouges to marks to flatness. And within 5 minutes, I was done with that and you couldn't tell there was ever rash unless you looked very very close.

Then I got a polishing wheel that are typical on bench grinders, but can be found at some hardware stores and attached it to a regular drill. And I buffed it to a shine to blend it back with the undamaged area. Again, THREE wheelshops said the tires would have to be taken off and it would be probably $250. It cost me $10 for a polishing SS wheel and I just did it with the car in my garage. SORRY this is sooo long.

I've given up on solutions to curb rash -- none really do the trick, so I'm just living with it. When I change out my 21's for the winter I have them fixed. Some with the 20s when the come off the car in the spring.

- - - Updated - - -

A few more new mods:

Carbon fiber and tan leather steering wheel.

DSC_6373.JPG

Carbon fiber caps for the side view mirrors:

DSC_6119.JPG

Sound proofing foam in my 20" Pirelli tires:

DSC_6105.JPG

Rydeen 360 system

DSC_5989.JPG

3D logo center caps:

IMG_0270.JPG

Premium center console with tan sides and real carbon fiber panels

DSC_6356.JPG

Wife thinks I'm a genuine lunatic:)

I don't think AMAZING even begins to describe what you've done, Rick. It is truly impressive set of mods.

How do you like the Rydeen 360 system? Does it replace your front camera?

Frankly I don't think the Rydeen is worth it. I had hoped it would be a big help in heavy traffic, particularly in making lane changes, but the reach of the side cameras is not sufficient and the side images are very distorted. The images are rather grainy (perhaps I've been spoiled by the HD images on the touchscreen) and I still rely on my front and rear Tesla cameras. It's definitely not a replacement for the front Tesla camera, although it is a help some situations.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks again for posting these modifications Artsci...I promptly did of few of them myself, and am very pleased!TE]

That sill is great. Is that from ForMyTesla?

- - - Updated - - -

How could I forget the lighted rear appliqué?

IMG_0347.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Adjustable lowering links:

DSC_5833.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Carbon fiber B pillar

DSC_5279.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

120v inverter in the frunk.

_DSC4889.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Alcantara roof crossbar and coat hangers:

DSC_6107.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Adjustable rear camber links:

IMG_0066.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

Tan leather lined parcel shelf:

DSC_6016.jpg

Truly amazing Rick! Will you ever run out of things to do to your S? I might have missed the detail on this but are you able to switch the stock front and rear camera video to the 17" screen or did you use a third party cam for the front?

Truly amazing Rick! Will you ever run out of things to do to your S? I might have missed the detail on this but are you able to switch the stock front and rear camera video to the 17" screen or did you use a third party cam for the front?

Thanks. SUPRKAR is my inspiration. He and I talk all the time about things we can do to the car. He's just more modest and private about what he does:) But I've learned a lot from him. For example, he soundproofed his entire car then told me about it, which led me to do the same. And he found a source for the adjustable camber links. He also told me about the parking sensor update and how it could be done. He's not afraid to tear the car apart to find new things.

As for the front and rear camera, collaborating with WhiteP85 (who's in the electronics business), we developed a camera switch that worked with a Tesla rear camera placed on the front of the car. One could switch at will from one to the other, with both front and rear views showing alternately on the touch screen. We sold 100 kits then stopped making them. And Aaron.S suggested lighting the TESLA letters on the rear appliqué, I found a way to get it done but then another owner, Danal, took it to a whole other level with his his neopixel design and bluetooth controller.

When I think I've run out of ideas, somehow another one comes bubbling up, often with the help of another owner. Next will be a billet aluminum rear appliqué which another owner and I have been working on. In fact, we're meeting at the Newark, DE supercharger tomorrow night to light up the prototype. It's in the style of Tesla's new appliqué but we'll have them manufactured on our own, so we don't have to rely on Tesla's very tight supply chain.

We have an extraordinarily talented and resourceful owner group, with expertise that makes it possible to do creative things with the car. And the car itself is a joy to work on. No heat, offensive odors, grease, oil stains, toxic materials and other legacies of the fossil fuel powered soon-to-be antiquities.

Last edited:
Reactions: Langhorne
Two more major mods -- headlamp replacement with new projectors, lamps, and black insides, by Evan Patak. And wheel spacers to move the wheels flush with the exterior. Next up the Karstyle bumper replacement to replicate the facelift style front.

Before:

DSC_6886.JPG

After

IMG_0848.JPG

Wheel spacers

DSC_7258.jpg

DSC_7295.JPG

And how did I forget the lighted rear applique?

Last edited:
Great thread, Artsci, thanks so much. Fun and inspirational.
That illuminated rear applique is amazingly sophisticated! Cylon / KITT indeed! I really love your dedication to sharing.
The front camera mod looks interesting but i don't know where to start- I'll chase up your other threads!
Thanks again.

• Additional door presentation antenna in rear quarter panels (photos to come)
Can you share more info on this? Service center replaced my fobs and batteries and says presentation is norma, that I have to get closer to the front of the car. Would be great for door handles to present when approaching from rear.

• Additional door presentation antenna in rear quarter panels (photos to come)
Can you share more info on this? Service center replaced my fobs and batteries and says presentation is norma, that I have to get closer to the front of the car. Would be great for door handles to present when approaching from rear.

I bought two of the antenna from my service center and installed them the left and right rear quarter panels under the liftgate so they're out of sight. Wired them to the two antenna in the front of the car (in the left and right sides of the dash, accessible by popping out the triangular pieces on the dash sides). Now when when I approach the rear and rear sides of the car the handles extend. I'll try to post some photos this weekend. Just extends the signal range in the rear.

Two more major mods -- headlamp replacement with new projectors, lamps, and black insides, by Evan Patak. And wheel spacers to move the wheels flush with the exterior. Next up the Karstyle bumper replacement to replicate the facelift style front.

Before:

DSC_6886.JPG

After

IMG_0848.JPG

Wheel spacers

DSC_7258.jpg

DSC_7295.JPG

And how did I forget the lighted rear applique?

Your aftermarket mods look amazing! The black headlamps look great as well as your carbon fiber accessories. What other modifications are you considering?