TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Modifications to your roadster

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by Bunnak, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Bunnak

Bunnak Member

Hi everyone, as of 2 days ago I’m a proud new roadster owner (#1339). I plan on doing the following:
    1) get minor road rash repaired 2) get rims powder coated gloss black 3) get XPEL installed on entire car 4) purchase premium hardtop version offered by My Fiat 5) get dash cam installed 6) get the headlights replaced (the clear coat is peeling) 7) get OVMS installed.

I’ve already made appointments/ordered for #1 through #4. But having hard time with the rest. Especially #5 and #7–don’t know who I should contact to trust to work on my roadster. Thanks for your help everyone!

2. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

On #7 the OVMS the instructions are good and so one can do it yourself like I did. If you are not handy you are fortunately located in Tesla country and so you might find an owner or shop willing to install.

3. Bunnak

Bunnak Member

Thanks. Where can I obtain/purchase OVMS unit? And besides being able to track the car's location what else does it do? also for headlights I remember reading somewhere on roadster forum that there are great aftermarket ones which are way better than what Tesla offers. do you know where I can purchase this?

4. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I think you can buy OVMS at this link FastTech - Gadgets and Electronics

For the headlights I purchased a Xeon bulb kit at DDM. If I recall they were about $50. Not quite as good as the new Tesla HID but it was 90% better at less than 5% the price. It took ma about 3 hours to install as I think the brake booster on the drivers side make for a challenging install.

• Like x 1
  5. Bunnak

Bunnak Member

Thanks. There is a former Roadster mechanic in So Cal. I'll reach out to him to install OVMS and headlights.

6. X.l.r.8

X.l.r.8 Supporting Member

I would ask here, I waited 10 weeks then gave up on it. Calling @markwj for the most reliable way to order, I think you will find it a great addition.
    #5 theres a few people who have independent shops that I saw way back. Hopefully they will chime in

7. DeedWest

DeedWest 2011 2.5 Sport - VIN 1462

@ExecMotorwerkz is the most helpful and trusted source to work on your Roadster in SoCal. He may be able to source a set of the Xenon Retrofit for your car. They’re pricey at $2,600, but it’s a new headlamp assembly that modernizes the car - as well as provides better clarity at night.

• Like x 3
  8. Bunnak

Bunnak Member

thanks. regarding #5 (dash cam) I'm very concerned about who installs it but hopefully someone here will point me in right direction. I've used independent installer (dozens of 5/5 Yelp stars, glowing reviews...worked on high end cars, etc) to update my infotainment system on my old 2010 Volvo XC90. 1 day after installation all kinds of lights came on during driving (check engine light, airbag light, etc, you name it). he came over multiple times to try to fix but to no avail. installing dash cam in the roadster I'm afraid worst things will happen.

9. ExecMotorwerkz

10. Bunnak

Bunnak Member

11. Bunnak

Bunnak Member

this cable for OVMS is now "discontinued". is it absolutely necessary for installation? do I need it?

12. X.l.r.8

X.l.r.8 Supporting Member

Yes, its what connects it to the can bus on the car (OBD2 on normal cars)

• Like x 1
  13. markwj

markwj Moderator, Asia Pacific

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 2
  14. Nvbob

Nvbob Roadster 1256

15. walla2

walla2 Member

Obviously there are lots of speaker upgrade options, but I went with JL TR400-CXi from a 2016 post on this site. Easy diy addition that cost next to nothing and significantly improved the tiny sound from the stocks.

16. slcasner

slcasner Member

Years ago I posted a thread Brake light indicator mod about installing an LED in the housing of the third brake light that shines out through the rear window. That LED is pointed at the rear-view mirror so I can see when the brake lights come on due to regenerative braking.

• Informative x 2
    • Like x 1
  17. backmost

backmost Member

Previous owner on my #209 installed a rearview camera which feeds into the JVC headunit, very helpful since rear visibility is basically nonexistent.

I have the upgraded custom brakes courtesy of titaniumdave which significantly improve performance compared to the stock Tesla rotors, which were also done by the previous owner.

And of course the best mod, I have the 3.0 battery!

18. Mark77a

Mark77a Member

some useful tips> Essential upgrades - all year car

My favourite mod: anything to stop the rear cooling fans vacuuming up dust and debris, directly from the road behind the rear wheels :rolleyes:... then sending all the cr*p directly to the most sensitive PEM electronics :eek:!!

There are several solutions. I'll plug mine :D ... as it uses large area filter, to avoid limiting air flow (air con filter from places like publix)
    Roadster Rear Blower Maintenance

19. Bunnak

Bunnak Member

wow! thx for sharing...