TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Modifications to your roadster

Discussion in 'Roadster 2008-2012' started by Bunnak, Mar 17, 2019.

1. Bunnak

Bunnak Member

Will be getting rims powder coated black—does anyone know which is closest to factory black rims? Choices are high gloss black; gloss black; semi-gloss black; and matte black.

2. X.l.r.8

X.l.r.8 Supporting Member

Attached Files:

3. MLAUTO

MLAUTO Member

The original 2.5 forged rims are just painted a gloss black (or an extremely cheap powder coat), as they chip if you breathe on them. If the high gloss black you refer to has an extra clear topcoat, I would just use the gloss black, as I have seen the clear both yellow and peel. It depends on the quality of the powder coat and its application.

4. Bunnak

Bunnak Member

Thanks. Looks like I’ll go for gloss black.

5. hanknum

hanknum Member

I'm in the middle of my wheel swap right now. I have swapped out the radio already...Roadster came with an Oxygen Audio headunit that required an IPhone 4 to operate. I'm going to be changing the speakers soon...is it difficult to R&R the speakers.

Lastly, what features are provided by purchasing/installing an OVMS?

6. slcasner

slcasner Member

The short answer is that OVMS allows remote monitoring of the status of the car and some remote control using an iPhone or Android phone. OVMS connects to a server using WiFi if available or 3G cell service if not; your phone connects to that same server to retrieve the status or send commands over the Internet using whatever communication path is appropriate. Most important to me is the ability to monitor charging while on a road trip without having to remain near the car.

7. hanknum

hanknum Member

Hi again Steve,

Thanks for the info on the OVMS. Talk to you more when I see you.

8. Bunnak

Bunnak Member

#28 Bunnak, Apr 11, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    3AA7CE9F-25E6-45B0-896D-29AB589CBB25.jpeg I got the rims powder coated gloss black...they look awesome! Thank you for the suggestion @DeedWest and @X.l.r.8 !

9. DeedWest

DeedWest Roadsters VP24 & 1462

Ahhh...just how the car was meant to look. So happy for you!

• Like x 1
  10. Bunnak

Bunnak Member

0322213A-EE39-435C-88F0-621D961D4B22.jpeg AF51E523-F058-437E-833B-09ADE8227022.jpeg Also got the Extend View Mirrors which was highly recommended on another post.

• Like x 1
  11. Bunnak

Bunnak Member

Then I got the custom Lloyd roadster floor mats as recommended on another post. It fits perfectly! E08BB305-F642-4778-BC2F-DC2F0891A8DF.jpeg I’d rather have the OEM mats but it was getting worn out.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  12. Bunnak

Bunnak Member

image.jpg image.jpg Then had @ExecMotorwerkz install new headlights since stock were peeling and visibility was bad. These are LED lights. So much better!

• Like x 1
  13. DeedWest

Post a photo of the headlights!

• Like x 1
  14. Bunnak

Bunnak Member

image.jpg @ExecMotorwerkz had one of last Tesla OEM carbon fiber lips out there. He asked if I wanted it...I obviously said yes.

• Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  15. DeedWest

All I can say to that is...WOW. You are very lucky.

16. Bunnak

Bunnak Member

Will be getting “Premium Visium” hardtop delivered next week and will post photos.

17. josh-io

josh-io Member

@Bunnak Can you post a link to the LED headlights? I'm just about to replace mine. I'm also curious what bulbs you're using for the little parking lights right next to the low beams.

18. Bunnak

Bunnak Member

Javier (@ExecMotorwerkz) former Tesla roadster tech did headlights upgrade/replacement me. He’s in Southern California but has done “ranger service” in the past.

Executive Motorwerkz - Javier
    14117 S. Western Ave. Unit C
    Gardena CA 90249
    (323) 577-9706