Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modifications

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The end result at night.

- - - Updated - - -

image.jpg
image.jpg

The end result. Picture taken at 6.30 pm in a closed garage with an iPad and no flash or other artificial lighting.

Your boot lighting upgrade is very impressive, David. Totally practical and dead simple to do. Thanks for the details.

- - - Updated - - -

I just bought these:

Review: LED License Plate Bulb Kit for the Tesla Model S - TESLARATI.com

So that plus my Wheel Bands makes for the second aftermarket purchase on my Tesla even before I have received my VIN.

But I have always loved LEDs.

I hate the insipid, yellow glow of regular number plate lights. These are a great idea - I'm putting a kit aside for the impending arrival of my Tesla. My Number plates deserve no less. :)

A signature thing. And you know, none of the available interiors appealed to me. Carbon fibre does not really do a lot. It is Matt, no,texture, and really probably easiest to work with in terms of veneering the plastic substrates, so I really don't know why it is so expensive. Carbon is the commonest element out there.

I believe the carbon on the interior isn't 'real carbon' anyway (confirmed by a Tesla employee), it is just a vinyl copy (which you can buy on eBay for as little as AU$5 per roll).
The only genuine carbon is the trunk/boot lid spoiler (as far as I know).
GH

Next modification completed today. I installed lifting cables for the parcel shelf. It beats me why something so simple and basic is not included. It is a real nuisance leaving the parcel shelf up. Happened to me so many times and blocks even further the very limited view out the rear window.
Used boating parts. Eyebolts and snap shackles, and, seriously over-the-top 2.5mm stainless steel cable. Reason was, i had some in stock, and i have a swaging tool. You need the snap shackle so you can easily disconnect to remove the parcel shelf if necessary (for tall objects for instance). The alternative, had i not had the gear would have been to use fishing trace wire and miniature swages. (you can get those at Kmart i think or any fishing store.) Braided nylon fishing line also would obviously work. As it is, it has worked out great.
Need to be real careful drilling the window surround. There is a lot of clockwork buried under there!!

Next modification completed today. I installed lifting cables for the parcel shelf. It beats me why something so simple and basic is not included. It is a real nuisance leaving the parcel shelf up. Happened to me so many times and blocks even further the very limited view out the rear window.
Used boating parts. Eyebolts and snap shackles, and, seriously over-the-top 2.5mm stainless steel cable. Reason was, i had some in stock, and i have a swaging tool. You need the snap shackle so you can easily disconnect to remove the parcel shelf if necessary (for tall objects for instance). The alternative, had i not had the gear would have been to use fishing trace wire and miniature swages. (you can get those at Kmart i think or any fishing store.) Braided nylon fishing line also would obviously work. As it is, it has worked out great.
Need to be real careful drilling the window surround. There is a lot of clockwork buried under there!!

Looking forward to the photos, David. I purchased the Abstract Ocean kit to do similar - will let you know how it goes.

Looking forward to the photos, David. I purchased the Abstract Ocean kit to do similar - will let you know how it goes.

Yes please MangroveMike. I considered that and thought it looked too complicated and besides no one else was speaking about it. But now I shall reconsider based on what you and Dborn say. So don't forget to send your pictures too. In fact it would really help if you snapped a few as you install it to show us what to do. I'd really love that.

Parcel shelf lift photos

Using marine fittings. The Mercedes rubber tray is a hang over from my last car. No point in wasting it for a very expensive Tesla equivalent. The underside of the eye bolts is protected with dome nuts so the thread won't catch or scratch.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    815 KB · Views: 232
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    750.7 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:
Hi Mike, i didn't know they had such a kit. Checked the web site and it is out of stock. Would be interested to see what the kit consists of and how easy it is to install. Please post photos.
The major issue is what is behind the surround. Using trim pulling levers (plastic), one can get a look in there without too much difficulty. I used a 1cm bolt and washer that, with the thickness of the cable and the plastic itself means that the intrusion into the space will be minimal.
The spot I chose to penetrate is much the same as Artsci, who is the head guru on car mods (see interior and exterior on this site). It does lead to a short cable length, which, when the boot is closed, means that the cable is not looped but lies straight. It won't rattle by touching other parts of the car. the amount i have it lifting seems to me to be just about right (for me). I don't have the boot lid lifting all the way up, to protect it from my garage door.
Incidentally, since i posted my photos, i chose to wrap the swaged ends of the cable in self amalgamating tape. Quite useful stuff and you only need a very short length of it. It covers the crimped swage (looked a bit ugly) and also the cut wire ends further reducing the possibility of scratching myself. it did tidy the job up.
The bolt does not appear to be significantly impacting the rubber boot seal, although it does impact on it.

I ordered the Abstract Ocean parcel shelf kit (along with their license plate LED kit)
I just installed it a few minutes ago.

It consists of a pin that gets pushed into the side of the parcel shelf, a hook that loops over the back of the plastic trim on the hatch, and a wire that goes between.

You also get a "shim" that you can use to temporarily lift the trim away from the hatch enough to get the hook over.

Installation took around 10 minutes, and that was me being very cautious.

20150605_100455.jpg
20150605_100536.jpg
20150605_100552.jpg

Wow, thanks. that looks interesting.other than the connectors top and bottom, they have used equipment for fishing. Trace wire and upper snap shackle with swages. The top then uses a screw eye, but i have no idea where that hook comes from. the lower end uses two screw eyes swaged together. Not sure about the pin. The whole looks like it works very well. As i said, my solution was seriously over the top in therms of strength. probably a safety factor of 1000%!! I only did it that way because i had the equipment in stock.
Can i suggest you tidy top and bottom ends with self amalgamating tape? You can probably get it elsewhere but i got mine from a ship chandlery same as the other equipment.

Last edited:
Have been thinking about it - One further comment about the Abstract Ocean unit - That is a lot of metal at the upper end and i would be worried about damaging the boot seal.The snap shackle in particular has sharp projections and may tear the rubber. I was actually worried about the amount of protruding metal in my solution, which is why i chose a dome head bolt.
Is it possible to switch ends with the cable? that is, with the shackle at the lower end?

Wow, thanks. that looks interesting.other than the connectors top and bottom, they have used equipment for fishing. Trace wire and upper snap shackle with swages. The top then uses a screw eye, but i have no idea where that hook comes from. the lower end uses two screw eyes swaged together. Not sure about the pin. The whole looks like it works very well. As i said, my solution was seriously over the top in therms of strength. probably a safety factor of 1000%!! I only did it that way because i had the equipment in stock.
Can i suggest you tidy top and bottom ends with self amalgamating tape? You can probably get it elsewhere but i got mine from a ship chandlery same as the other equipment.

Good idea with the self amalgamating tape.

I did my installation today. Same result as MDK (including position of top eye). It took about 5 mins. Very easy.

Neither top or bottom connections get close to rubber seal and the wire trace seems to lay well for me.

Hey that new bumper looks RADICAL!! They have really matched that signature red paint - I know you thought that might have been tough once.

It looks like a new car. I mean an AP2 car. In fact I doubt any one would even look at the car sideways - except maybe the Tesla service people. What did they say??? Did they threaten you with any warranty voiding? Or did they commend your pride with your car?

Hey that new bumper looks RADICAL!! They have really matched that signature red paint - I know you thought that might have been tough once.

It looks like a new car. I mean an AP2 car. In fact I doubt any one would even look at the car sideways - except maybe the Tesla service people. What did they say??? Did they threaten you with any warranty voiding? Or did they commend your pride with your car?
They all came out to look at it and were impressed. Absolutely no suggestion of any warranty issues.
Thanks for your kind comments.