Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modifications

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
image.jpg
or anyone interested, here is the letter T on a centre cap of a wheel. Obtained through this web site.

Well, i did get some instruction finally on how to go about dismantling the dashboard to install my trim. Tesla Australia have been extraordinarily helpful, and while they would not actually do it for me, told me in detail what was required and how to go about doing the job. A LOT more complicated than i was expecting, but i did NOT land up with any extra screws, so THAT is a plus. So here goes... I elected not to install the armrest piece as it did not come up as well as the rest.
I may have some carbon fibre panels for sale, but still want to think about that. The pieces around the central screen came up very well indeed. I was worried about the fit around the hazard button and glove box button, but all is good. I have also made a centre console, which is currently being upholstered. Its deck does match and has a tambour door. In the meantime, my yacht floor is a match.

I do have just the dash trim substrates, 3 pieces, that anyone who wants to do the same, is welcome to have. PM me. I was sent out duplicates in case i stuffed up.....

FullSizeRender 2.jpg
FullSizeRender 3.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Reekdog
You've done a fabulous job, Dborn. It adds real character - much better than the OEM choices, in my opinion. You must be VERY satisfied with the result.
Thank you. Yes i am really happy. Doesn't look much like the Tasmanian Black heart Sassafras that it is, but that is because it is finished in a high quality marine exterior varnish that used a yellow stain to start which adds UV resistance.

I installed those - dead easy and work well. They actually assist with reversing at night because they assist in providing extra illumination for the camera. They are also robust and look as though they won't fail as some of the el cheapo's from China do.

I installed those - dead easy and work well. They actually assist with reversing at night because they assist in providing extra illumination for the camera. They are also robust and look as though they won't fail as some of the el cheapo's from China do.

Hey wow, we seem to think alike.

I got wheel bands, you had gators.
I want to fix the centre console problem, you already have.
I got the rear LEDs, you already had them.

I'm seeing a pattern here...

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Finally decided to provide additional lighting for the boot. I used some of the advice provided in Tesla Tap. Purpose here is to provide local content and suppliers. First up, it is a relatively easy mod. The car can be returned to factory easily. The existing light fittings are the same as the door puddle lights and are situated left and right at the rear of the boot. There is a large hole on both sides just back of the parcel shelf support. The boot liner partially pulls away from under the rubber trim surrounding the boot opening easily. The plug on the loom which supplies the lights is not standard, and Tesla cannot supply these separately. After a bit of research, Jaycar electronics at Greenwich supplied everything I needed for around $40.00. You do need to be able to solder. Catalog numbers and products are in the photos.
Pop out the light fittings and connect them up with the products. To pass the wires for the self adhesive LEDs, I used a plastic strip which at one time in its life was the tongue in the edge of chipboard flooring. It is fairly rigid and flexible at the same time. Pass it up from the opening for the removed light fitting and grab it through the partially removed boot liner. Then feed it up easily to the aforementioned hole. From there it takes all of 5 mins to install the whole. The key to this job was the pin/wire/socket supplied by Jaycar, which allowed reconnection of the existing fitting and splicing into for a power supply to the new LEDs which are then stuck under the parcel shelf support. End result is that the new LEDs are hidden and the original fittings are back in their original positions and working.

- - - Updated - - -

Should read Finally decided. Could not edit??

Last edited:
[ The existing light fittings are the same as the door puddle lights and are situated left and right at the rear of the boot. There is a large hole on both sides just back of the parcel shelf support. The boot liner partially pulls away from under the rubber trim surrounding the boot opening easily. The plug on the loom which supplies the lights is not standard, and Tesla cannot supply these separately. After a bit of research, Jaycar electronics at Grenwich supplied everything I needed for around $40.00. You do need to be able to solder. Catalog numbers and products are in the photos.

I'll have to look into this - my car only has the light on the tailgate and its pretty useless