Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modifications

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have made new interior trim for the Model S. I used Tasmanian Blackheart Sassafras. Finished with Awlgrip's Awlwood - a marine exterior clear varnish. - 1 coat of primer and 7 coats of varnish. a LOT of work, plus new skills needing to be learned to deal with veneers....
photo.JPG

Amazing! When do we get to see them installed?
When they FINALLY deliver our vehicles to Australia!!

- - - Updated - - -

Keep going and you'll have fabricated a whole complete car before Tesla have even announced their Australian pricing:smile:
Are you taking orders?
Regrettably, no.
All i need are a few extra bits to bolt around these and i will actually have a car!!
Next project will have to wait until I get the car - a centre console, to match.
Had to do SOMETHING, to avoid going completely crazy!!

Those look like proper Right-hand drive trim pieces. Where did you get the base(s) to put on the veneer?
They ARE official substrates, and they are Right hand drive. They were sent out from the factory for the purpose. I wanted shop drawings but was told no, however they were prepared to let me have substrates. Just as well. The shapes are incredibly complex, not to mention the fixing clip positions and screw holes!

around 3 weeks, plus a week of research for adhesives and finish. Then testing and re manufacture of two parts because I stuffed up the first time.... Incidentally, the price charged by Tesla is not really as outrageous as I thought originally. The cost of materials was really up there!!

Dborn, these are lovely. If you ever want go into business, sign me up!

regrettably, Tesla willNOT help me to install them, despite the cost involved intending the substrates out, which they kindly did free of charge. Something to do with the crazy USA liability laws - these are not OEM parts!!! Crazy, huh? especially since the only non OEM part is a small bit of glue, a timber veneer, and a paint job (using an American made paint). A total of about 1mm in thickness or perhaps a smidge more!!

regrettably, Tesla willNOT help me to install them, despite the cost involved intending the substrates out, which they kindly did free of charge. Something to do with the crazy USA liability laws - these are not OEM parts!!! Crazy, huh? especially since the only non OEM part is a small bit of glue, a timber veneer, and a paint job (using an American made paint). A total of about 1mm in thickness or perhaps a smidge more!!
Well thank god for that, it would only add to the LCT component of the price! I'm sure that you'd have a number of after-market orders though:smile:

Yacht floor installed!! Still considering Dash install. That probably will be a pro job. A bit scared to do it myself, but will investigate further.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 875
  • FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 839
Last edited:
A signature thing. And you know, none of the available interiors appealed to me. Carbon fibre does not really do a lot. It is Matt, no,texture, and really probably easiest to work with in terms of veneering the plastic substrates, so I really don't know why it is so expensive. Carbon is the commonest element out there.