Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modified LR vs Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the stealth performance model (I don't track it). Track mode is worth the price of entry. I know everybody has said it but I don't think anybody has said why. It may be because they all know why and it is obvious but I will say it in case you don't know or on case anybody wants to correct me.

Track mode allows you to easily and in a granular fashion change the front/rear power distribution. Combine that with your modified suspension and a decent alignment then you can make this car behave the way you like. Separate from track mode but also important is the software's ability to modify how tight the steering is. The car is a blast to drive and I've never regretted making the leap to EV.

• Love
Reactions: DRThomas430
Yes, Track Mode is really the dealbreaker. I'm with you on all the stock wheel and suspension parts on the Performance. They're not worth anything because they'll be replaced anyway by anyone serious about handling and performance on the track. It's sad that we can't get Stealth Performance 3s anymore, though they also cost just as much as the Performance when they were offered (if I remember correctly). Anyway, since it does sound like taking it to the track is something you definitely are going to do and you don't want to mess with warranty-voiding hacks, I think the Performance is your best option. As pg62 said, I would skip the FSD, especially if cost is a concern at all.

If only Tesla offered Track Mode as a software unlock... :)

Not initially. Stealth was cheaper than the Performance by a few thousand initially. By the time I want to buy, the stealth was no longer offered but then they started offering it again at the same price as the Performance.

The more I think about it, the more I lean towards M3P and selling off the stock wheels.
If I were to go LR then add Boost, proper suspension, wheel/tire combo and whatever else I wanted right off, I would be close to the M3P price and have Track Mode.

Thanks everyone for adding perspective. With my new position at work and working hard to get finances going the right way for retirement, I can finally look to pulling the trigger and the insight has help me greatly.

But you still need to do suspension and tire/wheels on the performance also right?

Agree, the track mode software is big if you are tracking it.

But you still need to do suspension and tire/wheels on the performance also right?

Agree, the track mode software is big if you are tracking it.

At this point I am leaning towards the M3P and selling off the suspension and wheels once I can swing the setup I want. Track mode seems to be the definitive option that seals the deal for me. I would have to spend the extra $2000 for Boost, $1500+ on suspension to get similar feel and $1000+ to get similar brakes on the LR. That is close enough to justify the upgrade. Now I just have to convince my wife lol.

At this point I am leaning towards the M3P and selling off the suspension and wheels once I can swing the setup I want. Track mode seems to be the definitive option that seals the deal for me. I would have to spend the extra $2000 for Boost, $1500+ on suspension to get similar feel and $1000+ to get similar brakes on the LR. That is close enough to justify the upgrade. Now I just have to convince my wife lol.
Isn’t that always the challenge. i told mine it would keep me out of the bars and clubs if i had the Performance Model versus otherwise. Seemed to work for me.

• Love