Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modified Model 3 added to A Street Prepared in latest SCCA ruleset

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So as of the 11/19/19 fasttrack, SCCA classed a modified model 3 in ASP. Not too unreasonable given that it says "A Street Prepared (ASP) – AWD turbo sedans and medium performance coupes and sports cars."

PAX is slightly easier than BSP, but not nearly as lenient as STU (where I hoped they would put us)

some relevant rules

1. we are allowed to add aftermarket spoilers / splitters
2. Can modify the fenders for clearance
3. Can run hoosier A7s
4. alternate brake rotors
5. shock absorbers allowed
6. Any sway bar changes

However where I get really confused is 15.8 in the rules for suspension

some relevant extracts:

15.8.C : If the standard bushing accommodated multi-axis motion via compliance of the component material(s), the replacement bushing may not be changed to accommodate such motion via change in bushing type, for example to a spherical bearing or similar component involving internal moving parts

does this mean that pretty much every camber arm and other arm sold by MPP, UP, SPL are not allowed? Since they replacing bushings with spherical bearings? This paragraph also mentions offset bushings, what are those anyway?

15.8.F :
The following allowances apply to strut-type suspensions: Adjustable camber plates may be installed at the top of the strut and the original upper mounting holes may be slotted. The drilling of holes in order to perform the installation is permitted but the center clearance hole may not be modified. Any type of bearing or bushing may be used in the adjustable camber plate attachment to the strut.

do we even have a "strut type suspension"? This contradicts 15.8.C that any bushing is allowed, but technically we install arms not plates

15.8.H On double/unequal arm (e.g., wishbone, multi-link) suspensions, only the upper arms OR lower arms may be modified or replaced, but not both. Non-integral longitudinal arms that primarily control fore/aft wheel movement (e.g., trailing arm(s) or link(s) of a multi-link suspension) may not be replaced, changed, or modified.

MPP just came out with lower rear camber arms, and SPL has them as well. Sounds like we aren't allowed to use both?I believe the model 3 has a double wishbone suspension in the rear.

15.8.L
Suspension components may be replaced with aftermarket components in order to improve durability and reliability. Any replaced components are subject to the following restrictions:
1. Replacement components may not be lighter than the original component.

a lot of the aftermarket parts are lighter since made of aluminum. Is that not allowed?

Tagging @MountainPass , @SD_Engnr , @MasterC17 , @kbecks13 , @beastmode13

At nationals this year the winning model 3 ran a 66.182 and a 66.363 on the two courses. The winning ASP was a 2006 Mitsubishi Evo 9 RS (in fact 5 of the top 6 were). They ran a 62.129 and a 62.837. So about 3.5 and 4s faster on hoosiers. We'll have to see if putting hoosiers on the Tesla + the suspension changes can make up that much!

does this mean that pretty much every camber arm and other arm sold by MPP, UP, SPL are not allowed? Since they replacing bushings with spherical bearings? This paragraph also mentions offset bushings, what are those anyway?

Yes i believe that means they aren't allowed with spherical bushings. Also offset bushings are ones where the through-hole is off-center and you can rotate them to slightly adjust positioning of the attachment point.

do we even have a "strut type suspension"? This contradicts 15.8.C that any bushing is allowed, but technically we install arms not plates

Nope they mean a suspension kinda like this where the attachment point for the shock defines camber since there isn't an upper control arm.

a lot of the aftermarket parts are lighter since made of aluminum. Is that not allowed?

Yep i think that we might have to glue some lead weights to the parts to make them legal :D

Yes i believe that means they aren't allowed with spherical bushings. Also offset bushings are ones where the through-hole is off-center and you can rotate them to slightly adjust positioning of the attachment point.

Nope they mean a suspension kinda like this where the attachment point for the shock defines camber since there isn't an upper control arm.

Yep i think that we might have to glue some lead weights to the parts to make them legal :D

I was talking with the MCS/AR Autosports guys on suspension work and he thinks spherical should be legal since we are only replacing single axis bushings and not the type that rule is meant to stop replacement of (ones where rubber is used on multiple axes)

also hoping the links are close enough but definitely can't use that cool spring tray MPP just came out with!

So I think I might give ASP a shot next season!

1. we are allowed to add aftermarket spoilers / splitters[/USER]
Keep in mind you can do a spoiler NOT a wing. And there are strict rules on size for spoilers and splitters.

Correct that the camber arms currently available are NOT legal. Borg Motorsports is currently working on offset delrin bushings for the front. For the rear don't we already have camber and toe adjustment from the factory.

MPP just came out with lower rear camber arms, and SPL has them as well. Sounds like we aren't allowed to use both?I believe the model 3 has a double wishbone suspension in the rear
Correct that you can replace the upper OR lower arm.

15.8.L
Suspension components may be replaced with aftermarket components in order to improve durability and reliability. Any replaced components are subject to the following restrictions:
1. Replacement components may not be lighter than the original component.

a lot of the aftermarket parts are lighter since made of aluminum. Is that not allowed
If the rules say somewhere else that you can replace a control arm then you can replace a control arm. In instances where it doesn't say that you can replace a control arm you can use that allowance to add a stiffer heavier arm for the sake or reliability. Does that make sense?