Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modified my phone dock to accommodate a Samsung Galaxy S7 in a case

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was really excited to see that there was an easy phone docking solution for my new 75D, but was very disappointed when I actually tried to put it to use with my cased phone.

There were 2 problems
1. The charger plug didn't protrude far enough to make a connection with my cased phone.
2. The included dock spacers were of no use. The large ones were meant for a tiny phone, and the ones for my phone were juuuust ever so slightly too small.

I took out my Dremel and modified the lower part of the dock as shown to allow the plug to protrude the extra 3/16-1/4" I needed, and used some of a rubber grommet between the dock and retainer bracket to shim it up in place. I also dremeled away a bit of each side piece to allow them to work with my phone.

20170906_195126.jpg

All good? No. Although the guides worked and the phone plugged in, a new problem emerged - the portions of the spacers I dremeled away we're actually meant to wrap around an uncased phone and keep it from flying back under hard acceleration. To remedy this, I bought a 96mm wire drawer pull in brushed chrome.

20170912_181806.jpg

I hacked away about 1/2" from each end, drilled a hole in each spacer block, and glued it in place. Now the phone has a really good guide into the dock, and the retainer holds it in enough where a hard gas press won't throw the phone.I'm not concerned about the phone glass breaking because the case has an integrated raised rubber bumper on the front.

20170912_182537.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Yes, the placement is a couple mm off but I'm not worried about it. And the drawer pull matches the MS interior nicely.

20170912_182333.jpg