Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modified S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Patrick W

Mar 17, 2015
SLC, UT
Saw an S at the local supercharger today with a couple of modifications. Rear view mirrors had been replaced with aft facing cameras and some wheel covers I'm not sure how to describe.

Maybe made to reduce drag?

Attachments

• 0rearview.JPG
    0rearview.JPG
    424 KB · Views: 193
  • 0wheel.JPG
    0wheel.JPG
    485.5 KB · Views: 174
Early IC "thick" trim style suggests this is a 2012 / 2013.

I had thought about doing a side mirror delete and replace with cameras like this.... but after seeing it. Too weird. Or done like that is weird (to me). I would have deleted the mirror arm completely and put a flush panel in its placed and pushed the cameras right into the door so just lens was "bumped" out a bit.

Maybe that extra screen sitting in front of the IC is the side views? But really strange to obscure the main IC views.

But this dude is on the right track for the hypermiling game.

One thing I have done is fill the body gaps between panels with rolled rubber (black silicone, actually) gasket weather stripping. Adhered with self-stick on the inside / unseen parts of the panels, of course. Side benefit of that is reduced wind noise, and water entry between panels. Didn't really do it for improved aerodynamics, but that's also little benefit too, I'm sure. Car looks like it should have come this way, definitely more finished appearance.

Last edited:
Reactions: nagerseth
One thing I have done is fill the body gaps between panels with rolled rubber (black silicone, actually) gasket weather stripping. Adhered with self-stick on the inside / unseen parts of the panels, of course. Side benefit of that is reduced wind noise, and water entry between panels. Didn't really do it for improved aerodynamics, but that's also little benefit too, I'm sure. Car looks like it should have come this way, definitely more finished appearance.
I would love some pics/details on that.

I'd also like to hear more about this & see pictures.