TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Modified Tesla Model S Fog Lights: Chrome Delete + Amber Delete

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ucsbwsr, Jan 5, 2017.

1. ucsbwsr

ucsbwsr Member

Greetings TMC,

Wanted to share a recent project with the community. I am an automotive lighting enthusiast and enjoy tinkering, dissecting, and optimizing. I have a very intimate relationship with the Tesla Model S headlights and was curious what was possible with the fog lights. This may be of particular interest for those who are not fond of chrome and prefer the the look of black window and body trim.

For those interested you can see my headlight optimization here: Optimized Optics: High Performance Headlights, Improved Output & Improved Aesthetics

The goal with this project was to delete the chrome and amber from the fog light for a sportier appearance, this completes the look for those who have already blacked out their body trim and possibly their headlights. The fog light chrome was the last piece of the puzzle!

Cornering Light
    As some of you might know, I appreciate clean aesthetics but not at the expense of function so I carefully examined which reflective panels were functional for the cornering light, taped them off, and blacked out the surrounding chrome so with this mod the cornering light is 100% functional. The best part is I even painted the LED "shelf" directly above the reflectors so it often appears to be black as well since it is reflecting the color black, like a black chrome, I love how it came out.

Reflector
    Disclaimer: In the US cars are required to have orange reflectors on the front of the vehicle (red in the rear) so installing these is technically illegal and one must do so at their own risk. Just as talking on the phone while driving, going 67mph in a 65mph, not having a front license plate, and not wearing your seatbelt are all illegal; you do so at your own risk.

The orange reflector is an eyesore so I developed some alternatives, "clear" and "light smoke." Both are functional as reflectors and both allow the 2 small amber LED running lights to shine through and function properly at night. Personally I am a big fan of the light smoke as it retains all functions but the slight tint makes the reflector hide in the black fog housing, very stealth.

Accent Light Tube
    This light is kind of an oddity in my opinion since as far as I know there was no necessity for Tesla to have produced it. The Model S already has daytime running lights in the headlights and at night they still have those DRLs (dimmed) along with the amber marking lights in the fog light. The accent light is purely for looks which I find to be funny as it doesn't really fit into the design language of the Model S; the headlights are very sleek and sharp in their own design and the Model S overall features low, wide, and sporty design elements. This vertical "J" tube is very much a black sheep, the closest thing it resembles is the U-shaped LED clusters in the tail lights which is a stretch.

Before deleting it I took the opportunity to explore what it would look like stock (clear) vs frosted vs deleted. This can be seen below. The frosting finish itself looks slick but unfortunately when viewing the car from a distance the frost would offer greater contrast and make the accent light "pop" against the black fog housing.

LED Fog Light
    Functions 100% like stock.

On to the pics, let me know what you guys think!
    Evan

IMG_3143.JPG IMG_3132.JPG IMG_3115.JPG IMG_3137.JPG IMG_3139.JPG IMG_3142.JPG IMG_3135.JPG IMG_2979.JPG IMG_2978.JPG LBWI4186.jpg

• Love x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  2. prqpn

prqpn Member

Shut up and take my money!

• Like x 1
  3. Rich Meister

Rich Meister Member

sign me up for my X!

4. bradhs

bradhs Member

What does this look like on the car?

• Love x 1
  5. BestRadar

BestRadar Member

I would like to see a before and after on the vehicle myself.

• Like x 1
  6. benjiejr

benjiejr Technogeekextraordinaire

@bradhs and @BestRadar - I plan to take before and after shots on my car. I hope I can do a good job of showing off @ucsbwsr 's amazing work.

• Like x 1
  7. ucsbwsr

ucsbwsr Member

Honestly, it should look really good and visually clean up the front end especially if the car already has the exterior chrome and the chrome "blades" which run through the air ducting blacked out. The original chrome around the corner lights, the amber, and the vertical J tube; although not terribly obnoxious or in your face are still visual distractions.

In contrast the blacked out fog light should look refreshingly simple and blend into the dark surrounding area in the lower bumper. It will be almost hidden in the bumper and I bet look more natural on the MS. My guess is people who see these on Model S may say something like, "something looks different but I can't quite figure out what it is!" (in a good way, lol)

Evan

8. ucsbwsr

ucsbwsr Member

Just to show the function with the modded reflector and corner light...

Exposure is locked on all photos except for the one I specify.

Off
    IMG_3150.JPG

Running Light
    IMG_3149.JPG

Running Light Exposure Dropped
    IMG_3148.JPG

Cornering Light
    IMG_3151.JPG

Yes, it is still bright.
    IMG_3152.JPG

9. kdday

kdday Member

How do I buy it!?

10. purduelion

purduelion Member

Yup, yup, yup

11. jevan43

jevan43 Member

Looks good..will be interested in pricing..I have a white MS with full chrome delete...

12. Maximapolak

Maximapolak Member

How much and would it work on Tesla's which didn't come with fogs?

• Like x 1
  13. too much vtak

too much vtak what the frunk?!

I second that.

14. ucsbwsr

ucsbwsr Member

If your current oem fog housings came black from the factory with no cornering light, accent light, and LED fog light and you are inquiring about swapping them for units which have those lighting features, yes, it is possible but it depends on your particular dealer and if they are willing to activate that portion of the software. They may be apprehensive since it was part of a package and they might not want people side-stepping that. My understanding is the hardware and wiring are the same, it is only software which needs to be activated for the LED fog lights to work.

Evan

15. Peteybabes

Peteybabes redneck drivin' a tesla...

just install them and tell tesla that they aren't working or that the button disappeared from the screen. ;) i'm sure they will jump on getting it resolved. lol

16. hatman4731

hatman4731 Member

I'm interested in this as well -- how would the install work? Is it a DIY thing / we send you the stock to modify / we do a core exchange?

17. ucsbwsr

ucsbwsr Member

The easiest thing is to purchase a lightly used set of fog lights off eBay (make sure they have the same features/configuration as your current ones) and the extra set can be modified. Once complete the modified units can be swapped with your stock units.

For the actual install, it can be done in your garage with basic hand tools and an hour or two or work. With the bumper off the fogs can easily be swapped by removing a few screws and an electrical connector. Here is a DIY I made on the process:
    How To: Front Bumper and Headlight Removal

Evan

18. hatman4731

hatman4731 Member

do these instructions apply to the facelift models as well? How much would it cost to modify the used set?

19. ucsbwsr

ucsbwsr Member

I don't have first have first hand experience with the facelifted MS bumper so I can't confirm but I would assume it is very similar.

20. artsci

artsci Sponsor

I can attest that the nosecone bumper lamps can be transferred over the the facelift bumper with no problems.