Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modify Existing Model X 2021 Refresh Color

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone had a Tesla on order and decided to change colors? I have a model x refresh on order. Ordered it in January and estimated delivery date on current order is September (yeah right). I chose the gray color but want to change to black now. Ideally I’d just call Tesla (is there even a number to call?!?!) or email their customer support (does this even exist?!) but i can’t find who to message or call. Anyone with experience on this and can offer some advice?

When I put my order in, an advisor from my closest dealership/service center reached out- there should be a way to contact through your designated delivery center or nearest service center if you did not get the “welcome” email after initial registration. I’m in CA so maybe things done differently from region to region.

I would contact the closest delivery center. I also have not decided my new Model X color yet and my contact at the service center said that I will eventually get a call from Tesla asking me that I need to finalize my order. A color change is always possible before this "final" call.

Has anyone had a Tesla on order and decided to change colors? I have a model x refresh on order. Ordered it in January and estimated delivery date on current order is September (yeah right). I chose the gray color but want to change to black now. Ideally I’d just call Tesla (is there even a number to call?!?!) or email their customer support (does this even exist?!) but i can’t find who to message or call. Anyone with experience on this and can offer some advice?
You should be able to make a change like that. Login to Tesla.com Click on Manage, next to the vehicle you want to change. Then in the text block on the right, you should see "Edit Design"

Here's the number to Tesla Delivery team: 510-946-6800. Give that a try.

Good luck!

Jose
Jose,

I called the delivery team and they were helpful. There's no "edit" button on my order like some others mentioned...Tesla couldn't figure out why it wasn't there either. In any case, they reached out to my local Tesla shop and changed the color for me. Thanks!

There is quite a bit of static on the other model threads that Tesla will not honor your old contract price if you make any changes to an order for a vehicle that has experienced a price increase. Even if a color change raises the price. Not sure where you stand on the $5000 increase date for the Model X long range versus your order change date. If it’s a Plaid order you have dodged the bullet. Might be worth a look at your price….

I wanted to change my model x wheel selection and also had trouble reaching someone. I eventually reached someone on an online chat and at the local sales/delviery office. Both told me that making a change would subject me to the new ($5,000 higher) MSRP, and may delay my delivery. I decided to stick with my original order so they never told me how to go about making the change. I felt like they were discouraging me from doing so.
On another note I also ordered in Jan 2021, with current delivery estimate of Sept 2021, and was told yesterday to expect April/May 2022!

There is quite a bit of static on the other model threads that Tesla will not honor your old contract price if you make any changes to an order for a vehicle that has experienced a price increase. Even if a color change raises the price. Not sure where you stand on the $5000 increase date for the Model X long range versus your order change date. If it’s a Plaid order you have dodged the bullet. Might be worth a look at your price….
I was told this too when I inquired about changing my model x wheel selection. I was also told it may delay delivery.

You should be able to make a change like that. Login to Tesla.com Click on Manage, next to the vehicle you want to change. Then in the text block on the right, you should see "Edit Design"

Attachments

• 7A75D804-FAC3-4E20-B627-9581CC3BDF98.jpeg
    7A75D804-FAC3-4E20-B627-9581CC3BDF98.jpeg
    168.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 7D0E1CB1-C317-4D93-9FE2-B71E369BD472.png
    7D0E1CB1-C317-4D93-9FE2-B71E369BD472.png
    374.9 KB · Views: 70
No option to edit order and a warning that “If you’d like to make a change it might affect your delivery date and you may be subject to a fee”
Your order is scheduled to be delivered this month (good luck w that :)). Mine is predicted for January. So the only thing you probably can do is cancel the order. But I would suggest not canceling until you have something else on order. My current order is $10,000 less than what it would be if I ordered now. (I’m still not sure I will take it. I’d have to give up FUSC and FSD).

that's because plaid price has never changed .
So i ordered both a plaid and a long range. I realize now that my previous post said a “plaid long range”. I was able to make changes on BOTH orders without any issues. I since have cancelled my Plaid order. after each change, no changes were made to my price or delivery date. I would suggest that anyone who wants to make changes should call their respective dealers. I think there is room for local dealerships to make changes if they want (or make it difficult if they want).