Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modifying Tesla Wireless Phone Charging Pad for more distance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone attempted to modify their Tesla wireless charging pad? I had a Taptes pad that my phone would not fit on (Note 9) so when Tesla announced their wireless charging pad I jumped on it. My phone fits but does not charge with my case on, a thin Otterbox case. My phone charges on a stand style wireless charger at work, and one of those puck shaped ones on my nightstand so I know its possible to wireless charge my phone with this case on.

I'm wondering if anyone has modified the Tesla pad someway to allow for better charging, like maybe swapping out the coils or reducing the thickness of the pad somehow? Would be nice to be able to use the pad, but as of now I'm having to use a USB-C cable from the center console.

Last edited:
Did you try charging with your case off to make sure the pad is not defective? I have a Nomad wireless pad and have no issues charging my phones. Superior to Jeda and other brands I previously owned that scratched up and phone would slide around losing a charge.

Which Taptes pad do you have? They have a few versions of the wireless charging pads, maybe this one should work:
TAPTES Wireless Charging Pad for Tesla Model 3 Gen 2

I had the Gen 1 Taptes, the first version they came out with. Looks like that newer version fits way better. Makes me wish I'd just waited to get one and not went with the Tesla one.

I had the same problem. Try connecting your wireless charger to the 12 V plug using an USB adapter.

Will give that shot, been running it off the normal usb ports.

Did you try charging with your case off to make sure the pad is not defective? I have a Nomad wireless pad and have no issues charging my phones. Superior to Jeda and other brands I previously owned that scratched up and phone would slide around losing a charge.

Yeah if I take my case off it charges wirelessly, but slow. Above comment about running it off a 12v plug might be the winner, going to try that tonight.

Did you get the wireless charging pad that allows you to charge horizontally? I ran into the "not fitting" part on the vertical ones with my Note 10+. It fits fine and charges fine with a case when laying horizontal

Nah the Tesla one I have is vertical only.