TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Modifying the accelerator for more right leg room

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by zylstra, Jan 25, 2012.

1. zylstra

zylstra Member

Has anyone here modified the accelerator for more leg room? It looks like it's possible to get 2 more inches.

2. PV4EV

PV4EV Member

In the past I have asked my local friendly racecar-engineering company if they could fit a power steering rack assembly , and at a different time, move the accelerator + brake pedals forward slightly (This was years ago, not a Tesla).

They politely refused to do either job, stating that their insurance indemnity (or some such) would not cover them for certain modifications to key parts of road cars, especially if there was one day a serious claim for a major accident possibly linked to incorrectly modified linkages vital to the cars handling. So, If I wanted a 600 BHP turbo upgrade, revised gearing, bigger 6 pot brakes etc - no problem. Pedal box moved forward ?? = instant no no.

At the time I asked other companies if they could do it, and got more or less the same answer, along with a few 'we'll do it for cash, and you sign something to say you did the work yourself and we merely supplied the bits'.

I don’t know if this kind of legal reasoning applies to car mods in the USA, but its worth thinking about.

3. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Check the Lotus forms.

Also we had a thread about the dead pedal being moved.

4. zack

zack Member

The dead pedal was very easily removed in mine (built 1/1/11). Two socket head cap screws. I installed a block velcro-ed to the floor and firewall to rest my foot several inches further on.

5. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator