Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modifying the meaning of turn signals

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The purpose of turn signals has always (in my understanding) been to notify others what your intents are. Now, when using NOA, I must use my turn signal to approve a required lane change or to cause a lane change. That additional function of turn signals assumes that those two intents are not incompatible -- but after some use I'm not so sure that is true.

Here is an example in my own driving. I5 North toward Portland, NOA transitioning me to Hwy 217. Right-most lane must exit I5 to 217. Next lane MAY exit I5 to 217 -- that's the one I want. NOA does the transition reasonably smoothly but does not signal until actually doing the slight turn to the right. My opinion and my normal use of turn signals would be to signal several seconds in advance of my intent to take the right exit. If I do that, NOA will, I assume, put me in the right-most lane where I don't want to be. I have actually tried that only once when there was light traffic and it was even worse: Got half way into the right-most lane and then swerved back into the original lane, probably due to the change to solid line (I guess).

Now I don't NEED to be in the optional exit lane but it is what I prefer and keeps me better with the flow of traffic. It seems like this case would be handled if Tesla simply started the turn signal a little before the turn. However, I am pretty sure there will be other cases where the two uses of the turn signal -- notification to others and commanding FSD -- will be incompatible.

I think your title is misleading. This doesn't have anything to do with changing the meaning of turn signals. It is simply an example of improperly implementing a function.

Tesla does not currently handle the described situation well. Not even considering turn signal function. My opinion.

• Disagree
Reactions: KerryOH
@airpor41, when you're in the optional exit lane and you put on your right turn signal, are you telling others you are changing lanes, or taking the exit? The ambiguity is already there; Autopilot didn't create it.

Hadn't thought of it like that. Thanks, that is exactly the kind of reply I was hoping for.

That said, my gut feel is that there will be other examples, possibly more valid, which I haven't experienced myself. Maybe somebody else here has.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr. J