Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modifying the Tesla Center Console for phones in cases (Pictures Included)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for this post. I made the same modification as xy46 - just cutting a bit of with a stanley knife, and placing a small piece of plastic to raise the USB connector. Now I'm able to charge my iPhone with the case on.

I personally think this is just a terrible design (not the OP's mod, the phone "holder" in general). Holding the phone in place via the charge connector in a moving vehicle is just asking for trouble, IMO. Seems like it wouldn't survive long... especially if performing some Insane or Ludicrous launches, or hard turns.

• Disagree
Reactions: gnelson
I personally think this is just a terrible design (not the OP's mod, the phone "holder" in general). Holding the phone in place via the charge connector in a moving vehicle is just asking for trouble, IMO. Seems like it wouldn't survive long... especially if performing some Insane or Ludicrous launches, or hard turns.

Agreed.. That might also explain that new phone holder thing in the X...

I installed a center console, but made a modification to the dummy connector block that comes with the console to fit a straight iPhone connector. This allows the connector to protrude from the base and allows charging without removing the case. Tesla should make an option like this, since most folks have a case on their phones, right? Please see photos

Attachments

• iPhone Connector Closeup.jpg
    iPhone Connector Closeup.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 540
  • iPhone with Case in Place.jpg
    iPhone with Case in Place.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 489
  • Modified Connector.jpg
    Modified Connector.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 508
I'm currently going through the same hardships with this. I was able to cut through the plastic part to get the cable to stick higher, but when I put it back I realized that not only it wasn't straight, but also that the phone wouldnt rest on the back, instead being supported solely by the connector. Anyone had this issue?

I'm currently going through the same hardships with this. I was able to cut through the plastic part to get the cable to stick higher, but when I put it back I realized that not only it wasn't straight, but also that the phone wouldnt rest on the back, instead being supported solely by the connector. Anyone had this issue?
Maybe I was lucky but my iPhone 6 in a Pelican case measured like it would lie flat against the back plane, and it does. I was very careful in machining the groove so that its "floor" of the groove is parallel to the backplane.

I have the console and have not an issue with my Android phone (my case must be especially thin), but these are clever solutions.
It is sort of amusing, though, to think that people are modifying their high-tech Model S cars with toothpicks, don't you think...!

I had the same issue. See post #6 in this thread to see the things I did to solve for this, including a variation of the modification using toothpicks.

A far simpler solution is to get the USB version of the connector and then buy one of those USB to lighting adapters that add about .3 inches of extra height.

That said, the phone always falls back when I accelerate so I use a rubber band to hold it in place.

A far simpler solution is to get the USB version of the connector and then buy one of those USB to lighting adapters that add about .3 inches of extra height.

Did you bother to read my original post before posting the above? I know my post was long, detailed, and thorough, so I'm guessing you did not.

If you had, you would have seen that I addressed your "solution" in that post. Here is what I wrote, over a year ago:

Also, before we get into the modification I actually did, let me show you something else that you might expect to work, as I did, that really doesn't, for a couple of reasons. I told you I was intimidated at the thought of having to take my console apart. I was intimidated enough that I had purchased one of these, hoping to completely avoid any modification work:

View attachment 82623

(The first of the following two problems would apply equally well if you purchased an equivalent device for micro USB.)

There were two problems with this. Neither were insurmountable, but both were annoying enough that I wanted a better solution.

The first issue is that it is not possible to leave this little adapter attached to the Tesla docking area and also close the console cover. Because when the cover starts to fold, it would make contact with the adapter in such a way that either the door or the adapter would break. There is very little clearance between the door and the top of the Tesla adapter as the door is folding. So if you were going to use one of these you would have to choose between leaving the console door open all the time, or removing the adapter whenever you wanted to close the door.

Which brings me to the second problem. As it turns out, removing the adapter wouldn't be an issue. The adapter winds up staying in the phone when the phone is removed from the dock, rather than staying attached to the dock.

@Andyw2100 I misread your post and didn't read all your other threads. The Model X clears the adapter just fine when you close the cradle/door.

2016-07-15 08.38.24.jpg

I would take a pic with the phone in there, but alas my camera is my phone. This setup works great and your phone doesn't flop backward with a ludicrous acceleration. I recommend the adapters sold by Apple as they aren't as long as the cheap third party ones.

@Andyw2100 I misread your post and didn't read all your other threads. The Model X clears the adapter just fine when you close the cradle/door.

View attachment 185482

I would take a pic with the phone in there, but alas my camera is my phone. This setup works great and your phone doesn't flop backward with a ludicrous acceleration. I recommend the adapters sold by Apple as they aren't as long as the cheap third party ones.

Glad to hear that it works in the X, and is working for you. I also had the issue with the adapter staying in the phone instead of on the console part of the adapter when I took the phone off it, which I found annoying, so I found modifying the little piece of the console easy enough. But to each his own!

Take care!

14726900451050.jpg
14726900727151.jpg
14726901251322.jpg
The phone dock seems to be a little different on the refresh Model S where the toothpick trick won't work.
I was able to get my dock cable to work with my Android phone case buy using a different technique.

1) remove phone dock from center console
2) remove cable from phone dock
3) use scalpel or razor to shave off some of the wire insulation at the inside of the 90 degree bend (see attached photo)
4) replace cable into dock
5) use rubber or any thin object to new space created behind cable back and T holder. I used a piece of grey rubber I cut off some kind of big O-ring i found (see photo)
6) Replace dock into center console

View attachment 192378 View attachment 192379 View attachment 192380 The phone dock seems to be a little different on the refresh Model S where the toothpick trick won't work.
I was able to get my dock cable to work with my Android phone case buy using a different technique.

1) remove phone dock from center console
2) remove cable from phone dock
3) use scalpel or razor to shave off some of the wire insulation at the inside of the 90 degree bend (see attached photo)
4) replace cable into dock
5) use rubber or any thin object to new space created behind cable back and T holder. I used a piece of grey rubber I cut off some kind of big O-ring i found (see photo)
6) Replace dock into center console

Good info, I was able to shave off some of the wire insulation, but mine didn't come with that T holder. Is that something you added, or did that come with your car?

Attachments

• IMG_4191.JPG
    IMG_4191.JPG
    255.2 KB · Views: 279
Andyw2100, this is an extremely helpful thread. Although the newer consoles have a slightly different configuration (funky "L" shaped metal piece holding the charging adapter inside the curved casing), the principle is the same. I simply took your idea and cut some small pieces out of one of flat wooden medical splints. It worked like a charm!

Reactions: Andyw2100