Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modifying the Tesla Center Console for phones in cases (Pictures Included)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a way to keep the included side spacers/guides in place when the phone is removed and the top cover is closed? Every time I close the top cover, the side spacers fall into the cup holder area. The phone sits fine on the connector and leans against the back but it is a pain to put back into place especially while I am driving and can't look down. The spacers/guides would make inserting the phone onto the connector much easier. Hope this makes sense :)

dock_fae60c2e-2bb9-488a-948c-3ad047ce550c_1024x1024.png

I am referring to the 2 pairs of spacers shown above next to the base for the connector

Is there a way to keep the included side spacers/guides in place when the phone is removed and the top cover is closed? Every time I close the top cover, the side spacers fall into the cup holder area. The phone sits fine on the connector and leans against the back but it is a pain to put back into place especially while I am driving and can't look down. The spacers/guides would make inserting the phone onto the connector much easier. Hope this makes sense :)
I had that problem when I first got the Console. I was really disappointed with the set up, the spacers felt loose and fell out easily. It turns out I had not put the spacers in correctly (the instructions are very vague).

The bottom of the spacers need to go into a slot you cannot see from above. It helped when I shined a flash light into the hole and saw the where the bottom of the spacers was supposed to go.

It has been rock solid ever since.

Last edited:
Reactions: joebiker25
I installed a center console, but made a modification to the dummy connector block that comes with the console to fit a straight iPhone connector. This allows the connector to protrude from the base and allows charging without removing the case. Tesla should make an option like this, since most folks have a case on their phones, right? Please see photos
Any pictures or Explaination as you how you modified the mount to accommodate a straight lighting plug/cord?

Thanks

I had that problem when I first got the Console. I was really disappointed with the set up, the spacers felt loose and fell out easily. It turns out I had not put the spacers in correctly (the instructions are very vague).

The bottom of the spacers need to go into a slot you cannot see from above. It helped when I shined a flash light into the hole and saw the where the bottom of the spacers was supposed to go.

Thanks Liuping! I never noticed the slots at the bottom. Its perfect now!!!

Andyw2100, this is an extremely helpful thread. Although the newer consoles have a slightly different configuration (funky "L" shaped metal piece holding the charging adapter inside the curved casing), the principle is the same. I simply took your idea and cut some small pieces out of one of flat wooden medical splints. It worked like a charm!

Glad to hear that this thread is still helping people!

Hello all - I just designed and 3D printed a replacement for the cable holder component of the 2016 (maybe other years too?) version of this dock and posted the design to Thingiverse. Requires removing one screw to replace the part, and then putting the screw back. No permanent alterations to the dock.

Tesla — Quick Connection Phone Dock Fix for thin case by slamzee

I made this to fit my wife's 6. & another to fit my 6+ takes 2 seconds to switch. Also keeps phone in place & guides it into the connector

Attachments

• IMG_0846.JPG
    IMG_0846.JPG
    392 KB · Views: 204
Because of the various sizes for phones and cases, Tesla's strategy of supplied some fixed guides will never work with many phones customers want to use.

If someone could come up with an adjustable guide solution - that would handle different phone widths and thicknesses, there could be a lot of customers who'd be willing to buy it...

Until then, for those people with access to a 3D printer - they can design something that fits their specific phone & case.

Or - a very, very simple solution is to apply Velcro to the back of the phone (cloth side) and console (plastic hook side). This provides enough friction to keep the phone in place during acceleration and turns. And if I change phones or someone comes out with a better solution, the Velcro is easy to remove...

Hello all - I just designed and 3D printed a replacement for the cable holder component of the 2016 (maybe other years too?) version of this dock and posted the design to Thingiverse. Requires removing one screw to replace the part, and then putting the screw back. No permanent alterations to the dock.

Tesla — Quick Connection Phone Dock Fix for thin case by slamzee
can you post pictures of the part installed in the holder? the pic you have just shows the plug higher in the car, i would love to see where it actually installs in the car.

dock_fae60c2e-2bb9-488a-948c-3ad047ce550c_1024x1024.png

I am referring to the 2 pairs of spacers shown above next to the base for the connector

Where did you get the instructions?

All I got was a plastic bag with a bunch of pieces and spend a while figuring out how to get the iPhone charger in the car now it won't charge since the connecter slides down.
Saw the 3D printed part but need a printer

Ernie
2017 90D