Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moisture condensation in taillights, fog lights, etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
yes, take a picture of it and make an appointment with your service center, they will send a ranger or have you drop the car off. The reason for the picture is to show that the condensation exists. My model 3 had condensation on one of the tail lights when I parked the car outside for couple of days, but when I park my car in the garage, the condensation went away. But I had my tail light replaced anyway.

I notice this usually after going through the car wash. But I'm waiting to have them replaced, because I figure the replacement part quality is likely to improve with time. I'll get them swapped out as the bumper to bumper warranty is reaching its end, in other words.

I’d hold off getting this replaced and just have the service center note it or something because I don’t think the issue has been totally solved by Tesla. I had condensation issues in a rear tail light and both fog lights on a 6/18 build. I got all of them replaced which was a big hassle requiring 2 trips to SC (they broke clips on front bumper grill on first attempt). Anyway, my new lights have the same issue:mad: so either they have old inventory still in stock or they haven’t really addressed the issue yet.

All the condensation on my passenger side taillight is now gone, but I have a ranger set to come out next Thursday. Funny how my car was sitting outside in the heat yesterday and the light condensed. Now after a foggy day, it's all gone...

Same. Just got mine back from service. One of the things they did was replace one of the sections of tail lights due to condensation.

Next day, all 4 tail lights fogged up in the sun. Went away after the sun went down. Maybe they shouldn't have went with the low bid on these...

I have emailed service asking them to replace all 4 now. I don't want a car with fogged up tail lights, even intermittently.

Sorry for being back this old thread but there’re condensation on both of my outer taillight after I took the car to the car wash. I emailed Tesla raising the concern but now they’re saying it’s considered normal if the condensation goes away in 20-60 minutes. It did go away after about 2 hours but I mean come on. I’ve never have this issue on any of the cars I owned in the past 20 something years. The taillight is a sealed unit and nothing should be able to get in, period. I already had my left side taillight replaced once last summer because of the same problem. Thoughts?

I would also recommend holding off or contact them to see if they have a fix. All 4 of mine were fogging. They replaced all 4 and the new ones are still doing it. I called again and they said they will replace them again once they have a fix

0875C5E1-6B8F-4283-B218-4569BD12400D.jpeg
Just noticed this on mine 24 hours after a car wash at home. Dec build indicates they haven’t fixed this. Rear drivers light next to the charge port.

I've had two Model Ss and a 3. At times there is condensation in the rear tail lights. I figured the cars behind me can still see red when the lights go on, plus there are the high center lights, so it really doesn't affect anything. 3 years and 80K miles on each of the Ss, 10K on the 3. When the weather warms, it usually disappears, and it doesn't affect range or acceleration. So, what's the problem?

I guess if you don’t mind blemishes on your new car, which is what they look like on the tails, then you’re ok! Also, if you live in a more wet and/or humid climate, getting this level of condensation forming inside a light housing isn’t great.

This is set #2. On the inner one the entire inside is frozen. My concern isn’t cosmetic it ‘s that I can’t imagine how water in there won’t shorten the life of the LEDs and I’m betting it’s $1500-2k+ to replace all four tail lights.

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-20_7-12-3.jpeg
    upload_2019-2-20_7-12-3.jpeg
    468.5 KB · Views: 206
  • upload_2019-2-20_7-12-33.jpeg
    upload_2019-2-20_7-12-33.jpeg
    440.3 KB · Views: 204
This is set #2. On the inner one the entire inside is frozen. My concern isn’t cosmetic it ‘s that I can’t imagine how water in there won’t shorten the life of the LEDs and I’m betting it’s $1500-2k+ to replace all four tail lights.
That’s much worse than mine. Agree that you’ll have electrical issues. Sure hope tesla will replace again.

I've had two Model Ss and a 3. At times there is condensation in the rear tail lights. I figured the cars behind me can still see red when the lights go on, plus there are the high center lights, so it really doesn't affect anything. 3 years and 80K miles on each of the Ss, 10K on the 3. When the weather warms, it usually disappears, and it doesn't affect range or acceleration. So, what's the problem?
So as long as the car is drivable, it’s ok? I’ve seen cheapo aftermarket ricer light have better quality. If the unit is sealed properly, nothing should be able to get in. And now on a $50k car... It just blows my mind that Tesla can call this “normal”.
209E84FE-5559-4F61-BC28-82546AEAA1B8.jpeg 676EDB81-8D56-4980-AF6B-7DBAACED1E1F.jpeg

Reactions: SJC3
Scheduled mobile service for condensation in tail lamps. Tesla provided the following images, thought it was a bit strange that much condensation would be normal. It always dries fairly quickly, so no big deal, but I don't think other auto manufacturers would accept that as "normal". Thought I'd share.

Screen Shot 2019-04-19 at 9.46.24 AM.png

Screen Shot 2019-04-19 at 9.47.46 AM.png

• Informative
Reactions: C141medic and Tam
My BMW Z4MC had condensation in the front lamp assembly, probably to lesser degree than the "Normal" pictures here. Replaced under warranty without question. I do think there's an issue.

Here's more text from Tesla:
"Some condensation in the tail light is considered normal due to the atmospheric pressure and rapid change in temperature between the outside temperature and the inside temperature of the lights. This usually dries out in a couple of days and they appear more to be mist like. If you have water droplets in your tail lights and they do not go away for a week or more, we are able to address this and replace the light."