Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moisture condensation in taillights, fog lights, etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone else having this issue? The bad one is the right side. Tesla agreed to replace that one but not the left side which is not as bad.

Attachments

• 795C9536-DCE0-426E-B1E1-4EEA225D9085.jpeg
    795C9536-DCE0-426E-B1E1-4EEA225D9085.jpeg
    630.3 KB · Views: 163
  • 2698946A-F865-44FE-8195-975CDB5CA629.jpeg
    2698946A-F865-44FE-8195-975CDB5CA629.jpeg
    515.4 KB · Views: 152
It's a known issue. Last year when I picked up my Model 3 it was raining, the very next day I noticed water inside the tail lights. Tesla replaced them.

You might want to also take a flashlight and shine it on an angle into your head lights. There is a known issue for them too, where there are what appears to be moisture lines inside the lenses. Mine have been replaced 2 times for that, even though I've never actually seen water inside them. The Tesla Service Center that replaced mine said they saw it in the replacements and their entire inventory, so they called Tesla and was told they are aware of this issue too.

I’ve had this on almost every car I’ve owned. Some are just better at it then others.

the lights aren’t sealed on purpose. It allows expansion, cooling, and no pressurization where it might pop if broken.

all that being said, keep an eye on pooling water or major drops, then the housing isn’t venting properly.

Problem is car cost $50,000, not some cheap $15,000 car. And this isn't only problem with the car, occasional side camera stop working or rear camera stop working. And touch screen blacking out, and roof started to leak- lemon.

• Funny
Reactions: WarpedOne
A $60k+ Model 3 will have the same build quality as a $35k model 3. The main difference will be battery and motor along with a few minor interior features. So when stating that you’re paying $50k for the car, you’re just paying for the battery/motor/software, while retaining the $35k build quality.

Reactions: pk44FG
Problem is car cost $50,000, not some cheap $15,000 car. And this isn't only problem with the car, occasional side camera stop working or rear camera stop working. And touch screen blacking out, and roof started to leak- lemon.
Sounds terrible.

I'll offer $10k to put you out of your misery

Last edited:
I've never had this on any car I've owned. There is good reason for there to be air holes but they are either too big or some kind of water pooling and it's sucking in water.

Ive only had this happen to Teslas but I'm not selling it. I just got them replaced under warranty and hoping the next is better. No issues on the 3 but on the S with the lights.

Good luck OP and OP is true. Tesla service center is the worst place to be or communicate with and they treat your car like a beater.

Last edited:
Reactions: BulldogsRus
I’ve had this on almost every car I’ve owned. Some are just better at it then others.

the lights aren’t sealed on purpose. It allows expansion, cooling, and no pressurization where it might pop if broken.

all that being said, keep an eye on pooling water or major drops, then the housing isn’t venting properly.
Yeah, no:
How to Remove Water from a Tail Light

• Informative
Reactions: pk44FG
It's a known issue. Last year when I picked up my Model 3 it was raining, the very next day I noticed water inside the tail lights. Tesla replaced them.

You might want to also take a flashlight and shine it on an angle into your head lights. There is a known issue for them too, where there are what appears to be moisture lines inside the lenses. Mine have been replaced 2 times for that, even though I've never actually seen water inside them. The Tesla Service Center that replaced mine said they saw it in the replacements and their entire inventory, so they called Tesla and was told they are aware of this issue too.

This is not an issue.

The tail lights are LED's and there is no metal (steel )to rust in there. They will be fine.

I can't imagine that a service center would replace the light. They ought to know that there is a pin (breather) hole in the lights. <---just like the pin (breather) hole in each window of an airplane..
Now....if its enough water for a small bird to take a bath in there.....then take it to the service center.

Poor quality Tesla Model 3- Selling it today!