Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Moisture condensation in taillights, fog lights, etc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's BS. This isnt' by design. I've never seen or owned another vehicle that says this is by design.

Bottom line. Water shouldn't be getting in.
Fully agree. Only time I see condensation in tail lights on the road are usually old beaters or with cracked housings... Not a brand new 2019-2020 car... And then told by the mfg to wait and see if the moisture dries up over time...

Here’s my car today. 48F out, very wet/rainy, car was in garage prior to driving it for 25 mins.

This happens on pretty much all cars these days. That’s why there’s the pinhole in the light, to let the condensation out. Google it - BMW tail light condensation, headlight condensation, VW Golf condensation etc. All these cars will experience this sort of thing given the right conditions.

FAB69064-1663-4820-A0BF-CC186ADA9C27.jpeg
31F07D79-D703-49E8-8516-8923B65B6500.jpeg

Last edited:
Sorry trade for BMW and got $44K for the car, that’s about $48K with sale tax benefit. I got this car on fire sale Friday night CPO deep discount.

What BMW did you trade the Model 3 for?
I also do notice some quality issues on my Model 3 but I will never let it go for that. It's too good and fun of a car. Sometimes it's more fun then my F80 M3 because of the crazy acceleration.

Here’s my car today. 48F out, very wet/rainy, car was in garage prior to driving it for 25 mins.

This happens on pretty much all cars these days. That’s why there’s the pinhole in the light, to let the condensation out. Google it - BMW tail light condensation, headlight condensation, VW Golf condensation etc. All these cars will experience this sort of thing given the right conditions.

View attachment 487612 View attachment 487613

This condensation disappeared half an hour later. Then I went out for 20 minutes and it came back. This doesn't surprise me. It's gone again, now. Just that time of year/weather condition. You'll also see it often after you wash a car, too.

I jammed a paint stick covered in a microfiber towel down the back windshield to get the third brake-light condensation out. Positive = I got the condensation out. Negative = I busted the seal. It's a foam stripping and it ripped where I jammed the stick down. I didn't think it was a big deal, until I was driving to work this morning and the brake light glows up the back window now (from the inside of the car). Need to get another piece of foam to tuck down there and it will be fine.

Yeah my Model 3 fogs just about everywhere: The front-camera housing, the fog lights, the external tail lights, and the b-pillar cameras. Both my fog lights looked like this last night.

Tesla clearly did NOT test these vehicles extensively in high-humidity areas like Seattle. I know Tesla will say this is normal, but it definitely feels like excessive in these cars compared to my other cars.

693AFC6F-3620-418E-8D26-416444D84614_1_105_c.jpeg

Reactions: super20g
Yeah my Model 3 fogs just about everywhere: The front-camera housing, the fog lights, the external tail lights, and the b-pillar cameras. Both my fog lights looked like this last night.

Tesla clearly did NOT test these vehicles extensively in high-humidity areas like Seattle. I know Tesla will say this is normal, but it definitely feels like excessive in these cars compared to my other cars.

View attachment 492077

Seattle has high humidity?

I live in a comparably humid climate (Hawaii.) I picked up my model3 SR+ this past weekend. I have noticed water getting into fog lights, tail lights and due to sagging/generally piss poor weather sealing, in all doors when I wash it with a regular water hose. I am going to put in a service request for these issues. In such humid places I can see corrosion problems happening far quicker than they would without such water intrusion.

I live in a comparably humid climate (Hawaii.) I picked up my model3 SR+ this past weekend. I have noticed water getting into fog lights, tail lights and due to sagging/generally piss poor weather sealing, in all doors when I wash it with a regular water hose. I am going to put in a service request for these issues. In such humid places I can see corrosion problems happening far quicker than they would without such water intrusion.

The fog light and tail light fogging is EXPECTED, unfortunately. It does just seem to be worse with the Model 3 than other cars, but you can google just about any manufacturer of car and it's to be expected. It just seems that much worse with the Model 3. Either way there are breather holes for this reason.

IMG_20191218_145547.jpg
Just got mine last week ... both lower lenses are already foggy, they said this is normal :(.

Mine is a SR+ and they are orange, not fog lights, I can't really figure out what the orange lights are or when they come on?

What I have figured so far ...

They come on when in Park if you manually put the "park" lamps on.
They flash when you lock/unlock the car.
But they don't seem to come on with the headlights when your driving? At least as far as I can tell from reflections (the car of course shuts off as soon as I get out of the driver seat to get out and check)

View attachment 492285 Just got mine last week ... both lower lenses are already foggy, they said this is normal :(.

Mine is a SR+ and they are orange, not fog lights, I can't really figure out what the orange lights are or when they come on?

What I have figured so far ...

They come on when in Park if you manually put the "park" lamps on.
They flash when you lock/unlock the car.
But they don't seem to come on with the headlights when your driving? At least as far as I can tell from reflections (the car of course shuts off as soon as I get out of the driver seat to get out and check)

You don’t have fog lights anymore on the SR+ as I recall.

They *should* have gone with sealed parts because it’s obviously a problem. I’ve had two headlights and taillights replaced due to large water droplets inside. Fog lights just have the fine mist so not replaceable according to Tesla. Taillights are fogging up again.

From what I've read, if it's just a little fog on the front that goes away quickly then no. If large water droplets are forming inside it, or it doesn't go away for a day or two then yes.

I get about the same amount as in your pics if I'm driving in the rain with the fog lights on and it's colder out. It clears up about 15-30 min after I park.