TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Moisture Intrusion Model S

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by Tezzzzla, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Tezzzzla

Tezzzzla New Member

Accepted delivery of my 2016 Model S a week ago. Last evening I gently sprayed the car with plain water, no power sprayer, just the garden hose. I observed moisture collected on the interior of the passenger front and rear windows at the body pillar on this side only. The tail lights had water inside the clear housing at the bottom. Anyone else experienced this problem?

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Moisture in the tail light housings is a known issue and there have been multiple threads about it in the past. The seals need to be replaced. Tell your Service Center.

That said, I am surprised to hear of that issue in a brand new S. Disappointing.

Moisture on the inside of the windows after washing is a new one to me. Tell your Service Center.

3. JeanDa

JeanDa Member

I got my new model S (refreshed) last Friday and washed it yesterday using a power sprayer.
    No trace of moisture inside the car or lights housings...

4. Joeski1

Joeski1 Member

the moisture will collect in the corners of the door weatherstripping.. but it should drain out and disappear through the holes provided eventually to dry......

are you SURE the water is INSIDE the rear lenses?? They will collect water between them and the body outside of the lenses.. it only appears it is inside.... at least on my car...

On another note.. I am taking my 2016 in for the door seal weatherstripping folding under at the headliner and floor... @ the top it has left an open gap about 3-4 inches long on my DS door pillar.. near the overlap of the roof headliner and pillar portion... the PS is also doing this... and at the floor its is out of place in two locations...

Attached Files:

5. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

If those photos are the extent of your seal problems, you can save yourself a trip to the service center and slide your finger under the seal to pop it out and back in place. Will take 30 secs.

• Like x 1
  6. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

I have had the same problem! I washed the car with a simple garden hose, no soap and the whole interior was wet. Seats, dashboard, center console! WTH! Should I close the windows next time I clean the car ?

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  7. Joeski1

Joeski1 Member

already done that about 10 times.... keeps popping back out.....also drivers side getting worse along the way... passenger side is pulling top and bottom....

car is going in for tire rotation.... service guy is already aware....

besides.. I've got a L/F fender defect or imperfection showing... either a crease or ripple in the paint.. a paint run?

they will inspect and take note...

8. Joeski1

Joeski1 Member

Once I left the both rear windows open about a ventilation inch in my Acura before going through an auto car-wash... I got a whole backseat full of foam and water.... when I wiped it all off.. the leather was as nice as could be... better than ever...

you might be on to something.....

I hand wash the Tesla.. no sprayer... not taking to any car-wash .. just me and the Tesla shop....

• Like x 1
  9. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

I like the car washes. Easier on the back :) I may have to change my ways though with the S :)

10. Joeski1

Joeski1 Member

the shop will wash and vac your S every time you go in for any service... at least they have on mine in Devon, Pa to date...

use my referral code if you haven't ordered yet.... 17 days left... Referral | Tesla Motors

11. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

Thanks, but I'm in the Q. right now :) Production should start in the next few days!

12. scottm

scottm Active Member

Your car is so new, let the rubber relax and flatten a bit and generally find its position in life. After a while the "recoil" of rubber gaskets away from headliner becomes less. And you'll learn to be careful getting in and out of the car so you don't rub there and pull it away from the headliner. Gingerly avoid touching the area. Yes it is sad there are no grab handles. But those would just bonk you in the head getting out because the roof is so low. The cost of looking cool!

Are you talking about just "moisture" as in maybe "dampness" or "humidity" or "fogging"? I mean streams of water running down into interior is one thing. But a droplet or two on inside of glass in a specific area only happens when spraying "uphill" with a hose.. is not a problem. If water streams in while driving in the rain, different level of problem.

These are frameless windows on the doors, it's a miracle they keep out water as well as they do!

Learn to love the fogging or droplets in rear tail lens. Right of passage for Tesla ownership. But if your hatch lid fills with water and pours out the grab handle when raised, you've got a seal issue on rear light assembly. This is a safety concern (potential brake light malfunction / not working due to electronic shorting) and Tesla will likely replace the assembly along with new seals around the assembly. They did both of my rear assemblies even when only one was leaking, as a precaution.

13. Joeski1

Joeski1 Member

#13 Joeski1, Jun 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    no repair available for my problem with this weatherstripping... no update as of yet on this poorly designed door seal .,..
    I've been informed by the shop to "run my finger along the rubber to reset this stripping" over and over again on a $107,000.00 vehicle until a re-design is implemented sometime later in the year..... put me on that list....

I will have to invest at least this "30 seconds" on each door opening several times a week.... have never had this problem with any other car or truck I've leased or purchased at less than 1/4 the price...

Loving it so far!!

14. scottm

scottm Active Member

it's a quirk of the best car on the road, they all have the issue

so so minor

15. Joeski1

Joeski1 Member

so minor it shouldn't happen at all?

16. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

I've noticed it only gets out of place on my vehicle if someone puts a hand on the door frame and uses it to lower themselves into the vehicle. Makes sense that using it as a handle/support would put it out of place (not that it should, but unfortunately does). Certainly not the most refined design -- hopefully they improve it in the future as they are always updating parts to improve things like that. Little niggles like that are certainly annoying.

• Like x 1
  17. scottm

scottm Active Member

Maybe they need it to be not-so-snug there so airbags can easily blow off the cover?

18. Joeski1

Joeski1 Member

let's not talk about the "missing" entry / exit assist handles ....I've already taken grief from a few riders for this obviously lacking feature...