TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Mojio Car Diagnostic Port Device

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by JohnGarziglia, Sep 25, 2014.

1. JohnGarziglia

I am a very satisfied OVMS device user in my Roadster so I really do not need this, but this caught my eye this morning. It is a device similar to OVMS that purports to plug into any car's diagnostic port (1996 and later), and gives the car two-way connectivity through the AT&T cell network and smartphone apps: http://www.moj.io/

Would this work in a Roadster, or is the Roadster diagnostic port connection different than other cars? I will try it in my wife's (non-Tesla) car to start once it is shipped (it looks like it might be "black box" or vaporware for now). OVMS has given me an appreciation of what these types of devices might be able to do.

2. Chillout

Chillout Member

If it works through OBD, it's possible that it doesn't work, since the Tesla OBD port acts on 1mbps which isn't that common

3. TOBASH

TOBASH Member

This device is unlike the OVMS in that it does not have a GSM Sim chip, instead relying on an uplink to the company that you need to pay for month after month.

OVMS does up to a server also, but we can real-time contact it for free.

I would perhaps like the MOJIO if it allowed an option to insert my own SIM without a monthly charge.

Best,

T

4. Jackyche

Jackyche Member

#4 Jackyche, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014
    I'm fairly certain I saw that it does have GSM and uses AT&T network and thus the $5 monthly charge (first year free).

I'll listen to their ad again to make sure.

EDIT:

Yup, I remembered correctly. AT&T in US, and Telus in Canada.

Having said that, I'm tempted to buy one but still need be sure it'll work with Roadster.

5. TOBASH

TOBASH Member

If this is the case, I'm tempted but NOT for the Roadster...

My other OBD II cars will love this for security.

Wish the thing could also clear error codes... That would be a big improvement and attraction.

Best and thanks for correcting me,

T