Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mold in Trunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
372A8A55-1156-4CAA-AA5E-9751C9664AB3.jpeg B4A8C457-3020-44E2-B2E2-CDBC2C06F8D5.jpeg
It rains a lot on Vancouver island but we park the car in a garage overnight. You can see a little mold in the first pic outside of the storage well, but a whole lot in the storage well.

They won’t send remote service for this and I don’t want to spend $200 on ferry rides for something I think is a warranty/design issue.

Anyone else face something like this?

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Well, the warranty terms make it clear that to get warranty service you have to take the car to them: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/downloads/tesla-new-vehicle-limited-warranty-en-us.pdf

Delivery for warranty.png

The only thing I think you could try to make a case is that the mold causes a health risk and that it isn't safe for you to drive it, therefore they should be "obligated to undertake towing." I'm not sure you will get very far with that argument, especially in these COVID times where you should be wearing a mask anyhow.

View attachment 619409 View attachment 619411
It rains a lot on Vancouver island but we park the car in a garage overnight. You can see a little mold in the first pic outside of the storage well, but a whole lot in the storage well.

They won’t send remote service for this and I don’t want to spend $200 on ferry rides for something I think is a warranty/design issue.

Anyone else face something like this?

What did you have in the trunk? I'd prob just clean it instead of paying $200. There is nothing on the other side of the carpet you can just lift it up.

The trunk seal is pretty beefy. Just look at it for gaps maybe. Push it in to make sure it's sitting right.

Why is there water ALL OVER the plastic inside the trunk? Both of those pictures appear to have it, and its clearly allowing the mold to thrive.

The water in there during the photos is from the rain happening while I was clearing out the back of the trunk. I was running items from the car into the house. We have a detached garage we park in and I didn't want to run the stuff through the rain. Took a little longer also because I was waiting form my wife to come out with a flashlight for a better photo.

What did you have in the trunk? I'd prob just clean it instead of paying $200. There is nothing on the other side of the carpet you can just lift it up.

The trunk seal is pretty beefy. Just look at it for gaps maybe. Push it in to make sure it's sitting right.

The only wet spot in the trunk when I first opened it seemed to be down the left side. You could see it on the items I had placed in there. When I started poking around, I saw the mold on the side, and then went further and opened up the storage well and found the mass of mold in there. I'm guessing water has been getting in for a while. Our garage has no mold issues, so I'm assuming its getting in while I'm driving as it does rain a lot here. I don't use the trunk often, so it must get in there, sit, and fester. I just wish it wouldn't get in there.

There are YouTube videos available on the process for removing the Trunk liner so you could see if this was something you're comfortable with.

If you're comfortable with it, I'd suggest removing the liner and checking for problems with seam sealer in the under trunk if you think the moisture is coming from underneath. Based on your picture and being in PNW, I'd suggest that maybe your water problem is coming from the top - possibly a weather stripping issue or maybe even from normal use having the trunk open loading/unloading on rainy days. Curious if you have the version of trunk weather stripping that allows water on rear window to run straight into trunk.

I hope this isn't the case, but chances are that your service visit will result in Tesla offering a $275 trunk liner installation along with a diagnostic fee and finding no seam or weather stripping issue.

I had serious mold problem with my MB S320 and Mazda5 before. Listen, first thing you need to do is to find the source and stop moisture coming into the trunk. My S320 had leaking tail lights, which cause the CD changer area flooded with water, after I fixed the seals and water problem, all the panels have to be steam cleaned to ensure no mold doesn't come back again. Mold tends to spread invisibly, if it comes back frequently, then you will have to spray the area with distilled vinegar 1: 6 water.

My Mazda5 does not have leaking issue, but the leatherette spread mold like crazy, again. I spray the interior with vinegar and keep a humidity meter inside the car.
20190620_222435.jpg

Pull your tai light off also. There is a small foam seal around the plug. If you are missing it water comes in.

Not only the tail lights, but the entire trunk seals, panels, tail lights should be reinstalled and tested. I have seen cars with water going from inside of the trunk lid entering the large plastic panel, then dripped water from the lock, even my aunt's brand new LR the lower plastic trim was not installed properly with the trunk seal inserted before the trim, it's pain to watch.

Last edited: