Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Molded mud flaps arrived

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered and installed the Amazon Basenor mud flaps - best mod i have done yet. Ordered Tuesday, received Saturday. They we very easy to install, match perfect, and give a "factory finish" appearance to the car. They do not stick out beyond the side tire profile, in fact they match exactly. It's obvious that these were designed specific for the Model 3, and not a generic product - link below.

https://www.amazon.com/Tesla-Model-Flaps-Splash-Guards/dp/B07V36S77Y

As mentioned earlier, the front flaps require creating a hole in the plastic fender well material. Once mounted, I simply used an ice pick, centered in the flap hole, and pushed it through the fender well material. This creates a small pilot hole for the supplied mount screw to bite, and thread in. There is nothing directly behind the material, at least for several inches. Screw in snug, but no so tight as to strip out the fender well material (~1/16" rubber/plastic thickness). The rear flaps require removing and reinstalling the lower mount bolt, which is 10mm.

The wheels do not need to be removed, but turn the front wheels for better access. The supplied mounting expansion tabs are a two part composite. While the outer expansion tab inserts easy enough, the separate center plastic "spline nail" piece require a significant amount of force to insert, and access is limited. I used a 1"x1" wood board, about 2' long to seat one end on the center piece, and struck the board with a hammer while holding the outer end by hand. Basically, used the board as a striking lever for access between the tire and fender well.

Highly recommend this addition, don't know why they were not included with the car, or at least as an add-on option.

Ordered and installed the Amazon Basenor mud flaps - best mod i have done yet. Ordered Tuesday, received Saturday. They we very easy to install, match perfect, and give a "factory finish" appearance to the car. They do not stick out beyond the side tire profile, in fact they match exactly. It's obvious that these were designed specific for the Model 3, and not a generic product - link below.

https://www.amazon.com/Tesla-Model-Flaps-Splash-Guards/dp/B07V36S77Y

As mentioned earlier, the front flaps require creating a hole in the plastic fender well material. Once mounted, I simply used an ice pick, centered in the flap hole, and pushed it through the fender well material. This creates a small pilot hole for the supplied mount screw to bite, and thread in. There is nothing directly behind the material, at least for several inches. Screw in snug, but no so tight as to strip out the fender well material (~1/16" rubber/plastic thickness). The rear flaps require removing and reinstalling the lower mount bolt, which is 10mm.

The wheels do not need to be removed, but turn the front wheels for better access. The supplied mounting expansion tabs are a two part composite. While the outer expansion tab inserts easy enough, the separate center plastic "spline nail" piece require a significant amount of force to insert, and access is limited. I used a 1"x1" wood board, about 2' long to seat one end on the center piece, and struck the board with a hammer while holding the outer end by hand. Basically, used the board as a striking lever for access between the tire and fender well.

Highly recommend this addition, don't know why they were not included with the car, or at least as an add-on option.

Pictures? Yes, good fit.

Did yours have a toxic smell when you opened the box? Mine sure did! Must have passed through Elizabeth NJ, or something... :p

Ebay order - does anyone elses flap(s) not fit flush to the car?

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190813_201040.jpg
    MVIMG_20190813_201040.jpg
    378.2 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20190813_201031.jpg
    IMG_20190813_201031.jpg
    468.8 KB · Views: 112
Ebay order - does anyone elses flap(s) not fit flush to the car?

I think you may have forgot to hook those rears on the quarter panel lip. On the rear flaps you will a little 3/4" tab for this purpose. As for the fronts, you need to press the flap to the car before inserting the top screw. Best to drill a pilot hole while doing the pressing. Easy to miss, but an easy fix! :)

• Informative
Reactions: UnicornDriver
I think you may have forgot to hook those rears on the quarter panel lip. On the rear flaps you will a little 3/4" tab for this purpose. As for the fronts, you need to press the flap to the car before inserting the top screw. Best to drill a pilot hole while doing the pressing. Easy to miss, but an easy fix! :)

Agreed, might not be easy if the new hole is to close to the old hole.

But it might be resolved with one of those fender clips.

Oh, and don't press to hard against the flap when drilling pilot hole, it might cause to flap to "roll" around the corner in not sit flush against the body if the hole is to far into the wheel well.

Just hold the flap snug to the body when predrilling. And do that hole last.

• Informative

That's the front passenger flap. Back flaps look flush.

I bought these on Amazon for $16.99 on July 30th. They increased to $17.99 a few days later, and now they are $18.99:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VH6WHK6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They came from China, but there wasn't a bad odor, as some others have reported. This is what they look like on pearl white:

View attachment 441710 View attachment 441711 View attachment 441712 View attachment 441713 View attachment 441714
The amazon page doesn’t have the image of them being twisted like all the eBay sellers....is the product flexible like the rest or is it different?

The amazon page doesn’t have the image of them being twisted like all the eBay sellers....is the product flexible like the rest or is it different?

There are two materials used. The flexible ones and others selling hard ones. Not sure what place sells what version, but they look the same. I bought mine from Amazon, Prime two day shipping. Not sure if they are hard or flexible, but they are not rubber.

Last edited:
So many links! Bendy ones, rigid ones / some with hollowed out 'cups', some without / amazon, ebay, etc.

Is there a consensus yet on which fit the best?

Also, I have wheel spacers on my wheels, so my aero wheels are completely flush with my fenders. Does anybody also have these? Or do you at least have aftermarket wheels that are flush with your fenders? If so, do the mud flaps even still work? Or are the wheels wider and still make a huge mess of the sides of your car?