Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Molded Mud Flaps - Install Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my molded mud flaps today from TapTes. As expected, there are no directions included. There is one bag of plastic push pin things and another bag of metal screws. Can someone who has installed these please advise where the metal screws are used and which flaps go in the front/rear? Thanks in advance.

IMG_1675.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1675.jpg
    IMG_1675.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 88
The top pair are for the rear, to install the rear; remove the OEM pop rivet and the bolt on the bottom of car, put the mudflap on car making sure that the "hook" is attached to the car and replace the pop rivets with the ones that came with package then screw the bolt back in. Boom rear is done. SAVE THE OEM POP RIVET! For the front I would suggest buying some u-nuts from an autopart store, take the mudflap with you. The fixing screw goes through the top hole use the u-nut with the screw to attach the mudflap, the bottom two are for the pop rivets.
They sent extra pop rivets and screws so its ok if you have extras.
So the OEM rivets you replaced, look in the rear fender well. Do you see three holes that look like pop rivets fit inside them? Use the OEM rivets you replaced to fill those holes. I hope all this makes sense.
PM me and maybe we can facetime/video call when you install if you need more help.

Reactions: 355rockit
I got my molded mud flaps today from TapTes. As expected, there are no directions included. There is one bag of plastic push pin things and another bag of metal screws. Can someone who has installed these please advise where the metal screws are used and which flaps go in the front/rear? Thanks in advance.

View attachment 438937

“Asked and Answered“ in the “other” forum...

The top pair are for the rear, to install the rear; remove the OEM pop rivet and the bolt on the bottom of car, put the mudflap on car making sure that the "hook" is attached to the car and replace the pop rivets with the ones that came with package then screw the bolt back in. Boom rear is done. SAVE THE OEM POP RIVET! For the front I would suggest buying some u-nuts from an autopart store, take the mudflap with you. The fixing screw goes through the top hole use the u-nut with the screw to attach the mudflap, the bottom two are for the pop rivets.
They sent extra pop rivets and screws so its ok if you have extras.
So the OEM rivets you replaced, look in the rear fender well. Do you see three holes that look like pop rivets fit inside them? Use the OEM rivets you replaced to fill those holes. I hope all this makes sense.
PM me and maybe we can facetime/video call when you install if you need more help.

Do u-nuts just make for a sturdier install? I assume I need u-nuts that the fixing screw fits into? Also, what are these holes in the rear fender well? Couldn't I use the included extra pop rivets in these holes?

Do u-nuts just make for a sturdier install? I assume I need u-nuts that the fixing screw fits into? Also, what are these holes in the rear fender well? Couldn't I use the included extra pop rivets in these holes?
Yes, the u-nuts make the attachment to the front fender liner sturdier however the fender liner itself isn't so sturdy. The holes have been discussed in previous threads, some people have said that service or mobile rangers will pop in OEM pop rivets in to those holes, but Tesla engineers have determined that it isn't needed so some service centers don't or won't cover them up now. I say use OEM ones since the pop rivets that came with the mud flaps are a few MM longer and since there are three holes on each side and we replace three pop rivets its the perfect solution to a problem that may not be a problem.

Yes, the u-nuts make the attachment to the front fender liner sturdier however the fender liner itself isn't so sturdy. The holes have been discussed in previous threads, some people have said that service or mobile rangers will pop in OEM pop rivets in to those holes, but Tesla engineers have determined that it isn't needed so some service centers don't or won't cover them up now. I say use OEM ones since the pop rivets that came with the mud flaps are a few MM longer and since there are three holes on each side and we replace three pop rivets its the perfect solution to a problem that may not be a problem.

Are the three holes in the rear wheel wells? I don't know what the rear fender well is.

Honestly, if you can't figure out front from back should you be installing them?
Not trying to be a smart ass. These have to be the easiest mud flaps I've ever installed.
Hint: Only the Rear ones have a bolt on the bottom.
Each Flap is also labeled, FR, FL, RL, RR
Front top hole takes the screw.
Here is details of my install
Model 3 mud guards

@355rockit - Did you stick those HOV's directly on your paint or first on a 3M-type underlayment and then on your paint?

The HOV stickers were put on the 3M film from StickerKnight, trimmed off excess white border and applied to car.

In regards to the flaps, car seems to have less road noise... not sure if it is my imagination.

@S2000 Not sure of size for U-Nut. Was hoping someone would post the size. Drilling into the rubber is a necessity since trying to use self tapping into the rubber is futile. Had to go with a slightly larger hole than I initially did since the screw wasn't biting well.

I finally got mine on over the weekend. I think they look great on the car. The only minor thing is that I'm not a huge fan of how the front flaps are mounted. It just doesn't feel like a "solid" mount to me with the two pop rivets and the small screw. The rears mount great with the bolt.