Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Molded Mud Flaps - Install Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I finally got mine on over the weekend. I think they look great on the car. The only minor thing is that I'm not a huge fan of how the front flaps are mounted. It just doesn't feel like a "solid" mount to me with the two pop rivets and the small screw. The rears mount great with the bolt.
U nuts from any auto parts store will help. It is still going to be flimsy, because the liner isn't too stiff, it will feel attached to the fender liner.

Before I install these I plan to lay down some XPEL ppf so any dirt getting caught between mudflap and paint will not damage the paint. I plan to have about 2mm of the ppf beyond the mudflap itself to make up for any potential shifting. Just need time to get to it but wont really rush until weather starts changing.

I got my molded mud flaps today from TapTes. As expected, there are no directions included. There is one bag of plastic push pin things and another bag of metal screws. Can someone who has installed these please advise where the metal screws are used and which flaps go in the front/rear? Thanks in advance.

View attachment 438937

These are the same mud flaps I bought for my new Model 3 and they look Great on the car! My set came with LF, LR, RF and RR letters molded into the inside of the flaps themselves. Some knock-off brands may not have these letters molded into the flaps. The directions that came with the set are a bit sketchy, but they do say to use the NEW push-pin inserts in the package rather than re-using the push-pin inserts that come with the car (there are two push pin inserts used at each wheel). I don't know why they sent a whole bag of screws because you only need two of them. The screws are used on only the front flaps and the directions say to screw the top of the flaps to the inner (plastic?) wheel well. I found that a 1/8" hole drilled through the flap and into the 3/8" wide lip of the edge of the fender actually secures them better than screwing into the wheel well.

These are the same mud flaps I bought for my new Model 3 and they look Great on the car! My set came with LF, LR, RF and RR letters molded into the inside of the flaps themselves. Some knock-off brands may not have these letters molded into the flaps. The directions that came with the set are a bit sketchy, but they do say to use the NEW push-pin inserts in the package rather than re-using the push-pin inserts that come with the car (there are two push pin inserts used at each wheel). I don't know why they sent a whole bag of screws because you only need two of them. The screws are used on only the front flaps and the directions say to screw the top of the flaps to the inner (plastic?) wheel well. I found that a 1/8" hole drilled through the flap and into the 3/8" wide lip of the edge of the fender actually secures them better than screwing into the wheel well.

You drilled the metal !! I'm sure it's a heck of lot stronger but no way I'd drill the metal. That is just asking for trouble. Especially if your roads are salted.

I think all these molded flaps that recently came around are all exactly from the same source.

By the way I could see rust forming on the screw after a few weeks (not bad yet, but it will be). I would replace with stainless.

Can I get a picture of where you secured the front mud flap to the lip on the fender.