Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Monel Y Single Motor RWD Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any news out there on when RWD production and deliveries will start? My current vehicle lease ends in mid-December and I'm planning on getting the Y RWD. Of course, not available to order yet. Getting a little antsy about this as I thought ordering would open by now for December or January deliveries. Really want/need to save the $4-$5k over the AWD version. Not to mention the sub $50k price (after taxes) will allow me to get a state (Mass.) $2,500 incentive.

Any news or rumors that people know of would be appreciated. Also, if you want to convince me to go for the AWD version please give it a shot. I can be convinced...probably! :). Thanks!!

Reactions: nhoover
If you need to get the car by mid December I would place the order now and pray it comes in time.
Not hugely important in terms of timing. 12/13 is my lease end date. But I can extend least 1-2 months at a time for up to 6 months. I expect to extend for at least one month. My question is more looking for thoughts on when RWD Model Y will be available. Thanks!

Noone knows, but you obviously need AWD in Boston, MA anyway for all the snow. I know some will say that RWD with snow tires is sufficient, but they are all wrong and you really need the AWD. Convincing enough? :)

EDIT: It would be shocking if the RWD isn't available by March at least.

From what Elon has said the next variant shipping is the 7-seat configuration. Production of those is supposed to start in November, with deliveries in December. So I wouldn't expect the RWD variant until sometime in the first half of 2021.

Noone knows, but you obviously need AWD in Boston, MA anyway for all the snow. I know some will say that RWD with snow tires is sufficient, but they are all wrong and you really need the AWD. Convincing enough? :)

EDIT: It would be shocking if the RWD isn't available by March at least.
I disagree on the AWD. I feel that I'd rather have RWD with snow tires than AWD with all weather tires. But I have driven mostly AWD cars in the recent past so am not saying that from personal experience, more from what I've read and been told. Looking to lease to keep monthly costs lower (yes, I know, long term it is much, much, much cheaper to buy, but can't afford to do that with a $50k car). Well, I've got something to think about I guess. Ugh.

Reactions: seangoggin
I disagree on the AWD. I feel that I'd rather have RWD with snow tires than AWD with all weather tires. But I have driven mostly AWD cars in the recent past so am not saying that from personal experience, more from what I've read and been told. Looking to lease to keep monthly costs lower (yes, I know, long term it is much, much, much cheaper to buy, but can't afford to do that with a $50k car). Well, I've got something to think about I guess. Ugh.

Well, yeah, snow tires on RWD beat no snow tires on AWD, but you can get snow tires on your AWD and beat both!