Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Monitoring non backup load?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

h2ofun

Aug 11, 2020
auburn, ca
I installed my EV charger lines in front of my gateway, so I guess this is called a non backed load? When we plugged in a tesla and charged it, I could not
see the 7kw pull. I saw it on my meter. So, is there any way to add something so that the tesla apps sees the total load being drawn?

I installed my EV charger lines in front of my gateway, so I guess this is called a non backed load? When we plugged in a tesla and charged it, I could not
see the 7kw pull. I saw it on my meter. So, is there any way to add something so that the tesla apps sees the total load being drawn?

Do you want your Powerwalls to be able to feed your stored ESS energy upstream (when the utility is operational) to help facilitate the car charging?

Or do you just want to see the current draw on the Tesla app, but you don't actually want your Powerwalls to do anything in response to EV charging?

Either way you'll need someone to run a CT upstream of your gateway(s) to see the EV charger loads.

Do you want your Powerwalls to be able to feed your stored ESS energy upstream (when the utility is operational) to help facilitate the car charging?

Or do you just want to see the current draw on the Tesla app, but you don't actually want your Powerwalls to do anything in response to EV charging?

Either way you'll need someone to run a CT upstream of your gateway(s) to see the EV charger loads.
Since it would not be easy to wire this subpanel past the gateway, all I would like to see is what is being pulled from the grid in my total tesla use display. So, can another CT be added around this new subpanel line and landed into the gateway and be configured to work in the total?

This is going to be very confusing because you have two Gateways. Normally, you would want to disable the Grid CT measurement in one Gateway and install a "Remote Neurio" to measure the power flow through the main breaker. This would capture the usage of the non-backup loads that land in the main panel as well as the grid usage of the backed up loads that are behind the Gateway.

With two Gateways, you need to make sure you have a place to put the CTs that will only measure the power flow along the branch to the non-backup loads and one Gateway. If you have two main breakers, then this should be relatively easy.

Once you make this change to your system, the Powerwall system will treat all the grid usage the same. In other words, if you don't want to discharge the batteries into the EV, you have to use Time Based Control to avoid the discharge to the rest of the house too. I don't think there is any way to show the usage of non-backup loads and NOT have the Powerwalls try to power them when the grid is up while they ARE powering the backup loads.

This is going to be very confusing because you have two Gateways. Normally, you would want to disable the Grid CT measurement in one Gateway and install a "Remote Neurio" to measure the power flow through the main breaker. This would capture the usage of the non-backup loads that land in the main panel as well as the grid usage of the backed up loads that are behind the Gateway.

With two Gateways, you need to make sure you have a place to put the CTs that will only measure the power flow along the branch to the non-backup loads and one Gateway. If you have two main breakers, then this should be relatively easy.

Once you make this change to your system, the Powerwall system will treat all the grid usage the same. In other words, if you don't want to discharge the batteries into the EV, you have to use Time Based Control to avoid the discharge to the rest of the house too. I don't think there is any way to show the usage of non-backup loads and NOT have the Powerwalls try to power them when the grid is up while they ARE powering the backup loads.
Yes, each GW has a seperate 200amp breaker. So basically it the setup acts like 2 houses.

Would I move the CT thats is there now, or put in another? Right now I believe it is hooked to the input line to the gateway. But this other subpanel is hooked before this gateway to feed the EV stations.

Yes, each GW has a seperate 200amp breaker. So basically it the setup acts like 2 houses.

Would I move the CT thats is there now, or put in another? Right now I believe it is hooked to the input line to the gateway. But this other subpanel is hooked before this gateway to feed the EV stations.
If you have Gateway 2, I think the Grid CTs are integrated into the input lugs, so you can't move them. I think you have to get a "Remote Neurio" and install that upstream of the Gateway and between the main breaker and EV loads. Then you re-commission the Gateway and tell it the Remote Neurio is the Grid CT and the built-in CT's are not used. How does the EV subpanel connect to the main? Are the breakers for the EV sub-panel and the Gateway in the same main panel?

Since it would not be easy to wire this subpanel past the gateway, all I would like to see is what is being pulled from the grid in my total tesla use display. So, can another CT be added around this new subpanel line and landed into the gateway and be configured to work in the total?
You would need a neurio feeding information back to one of your gateways that could then export power to your EV. I believe that the Gateway 2 can be configured not to use its internal CTs, but if you do that, the modified gateway will be misled about exports, which will probably cause problems with the other Gateway drawing from the modified gateway thinking it is doing a grid draw.

I am not sure that I would monkey with it, if it were me. If you charge during the day, the charging will be pulling excess solar, except for winter time, when you are a net importer anyway.

Just my $0.02...

All the best,

BG

Reactions: h2ofun
You would need a neurio feeding information back to one of your gateways that could then export power to your EV. I believe that the Gateway 2 can be configured not to use its internal CTs, but if you do that, the modified gateway will be misled about exports, which will probably cause problems with the other Gateway drawing from the modified gateway thinking it is doing a grid draw.

I am not sure that I would monkey with it, if it were me. If you charge during the day, the charging will be pulling excess solar, except for winter time, when you are a net importer anyway.

Just my $0.02...

All the best,

BG
I can see from my PGE report, tesla charging

Attachments

• tesla.jpg
    tesla.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 118
Yes, you want a neurio remote meter to measure the draw of the car charging both so you can see it and so you can self consume it when the grid is up and it makes financial sense to pull from the batteries and not the grid.

As was pointed out earlier, you will have to pick which of the gateway systems will be the one that sees this draw, do not put neurios on it from both systems as that will double count it. This meter could be either wired or wireless.