Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Monroney stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just purchased a Model 3. After getting home, I found a Monroney sticker in the car that's lower than the one I was given prior to purchase by about $4500. This was a demo, so it's a few months old. Dealer says the MSRP must have changed after they got the car. Anyone else run into this? Never had this happen before and I know Tesla operates a little different than regular dealerships, so not sure if this is unusual?

Can you be a little more specific. Is there a difference in price on individual line items? Prices have not changed recently so at first glance this doesn’t sound right. If the configuration of the car does not match the window sticker they gave you that could account for the difference.

Reactions: PStewart
1. Does "Dealer" = you purchased this from Tesla directly?
2. Does the vin on the monroney match what you purchased?
3. What exact spec did you purchase ( all options, and what year vehicle, with how many miles)?
4. Is the car actually NEW on your purchase agreement (not what you think it is, not what they "told" you, but what is actually on the paperwork you were given.. is it NEW or pre owned?)

I know some pricing changed for this model, but I'm unsure of when and the specifics of it, and how that impacts the stickers. I received 2 copies of the Monroney. The configuration is the same, but the pricing is different.

Can you be a little more specific. Is there a difference in price on individual line items? Prices have not changed recently so at first glance this doesn’t sound right. If the configuration of the car does not match the window sticker they gave you that could account for the difference.

--The Performance line item is $4500 less. The configuration matches the car.

1. Does "Dealer" = you purchased this from Tesla directly?
2. Does the vin on the monroney match what you purchased?
3. What exact spec did you purchase ( all options, and what year vehicle, with how many miles)?
4. Is the car actually NEW on your purchase agreement (not what you think it is, not what they "told" you, but what is actually on the paperwork you were given.. is it NEW or pre owned?)

1. Directly from Tesla
2. Yes, it matches
3. 2020 Stealth Performance
4. New

I know some pricing changed for this model, but I'm unsure of when and the specifics of it, and how that impacts the stickers. I received 2 copies of the Monroney. The configuration is the same, but the pricing is different.

--The Performance line item is $4500 less. The configuration matches the car.

1. Directly from Tesla
2. Yes, it matches
3. 2020 Stealth Performance
4. New

The pricing on the performance stealth specifically changed. There was a point when the stealth performance was less than the performance with upgrade pack. With that being said, I dont know if you can do anything about it other than go back to them and "ask" since you already agreed to a price (and likely paid a price) that was more, AND because the stealth performance price WAS increased to be the same as the regular performance, so that is the truth.

The pricing on the performance stealth specifically changed. There was a point when the stealth performance was less than the performance with upgrade pack. With that being said, I dont know if you can do anything about it other than go back to them and "ask" since you already agreed to a price (and likely paid a price) that was more, AND because the stealth performance price WAS increased to be the same as the regular performance, so that is the truth.

So, how does that work w/the sticker? It was already on the lot being used as a demo when this price change happened. Is that typical that the sticker would change like that on a car that's already distributed?

So, how does that work w/the sticker? It was already on the lot being used as a demo when this price change happened. Is that typical that the sticker would change like that on a car that's already distributed?

I am not a lawyer, but as far as I know, the monroney sticker is not a legally binding price. Cars are sold below, and above any pricing on a monroney sticker all day, every day. The price of the car is what you and the seller agree on. If you are asking if you have some legal grounds to FORCE tesla to sell it to you for that lower price, or refund the difference, I dont think so.... but again, I am not a lawyer.

You would have to consult one who deals with this to find out.

I am not a lawyer, but as far as I know, the monroney sticker is not a legally binding price. Cars are sold below, and above any pricing on a monroney sticker all day, every day. The price of the car is what you and the seller agree on. If you are asking if you have some legal grounds to FORCE tesla to sell it to you for that lower price, or refund the difference, I dont think so.... but again, I am not a lawyer.

You would have to consult one who deals with this to find out.

No, wasn't asking from a legal perspective. Just wondering how these things work. I've never encountered this before and with Tesla changing prices, it's just confusing.

No, wasn't asking from a legal perspective. Just wondering how these things work. I've never encountered this before and with Tesla changing prices, it's just confusing.

If you are asking for opinion, my opinion is tesla changed the price on your car on the lot and forgot to remove the old monroney. Had you found that before you left the lot and brought it to their attention, you might have been able to get them to "do something about it". Since you have left the lot, and Tesla's "monroney sticker" is simply a piece of paper that is extremely easy for anyone with a word processor program to fake, it would be difficult to show it to them as any sort of real document.

Additionally, you already accepted the price of the car and completed a contract. Anything they would be doing for you would be a " good will" gesture, and I doubt anyone at any level in a delivery center has authority to authorize a 4500 "good will" gesture.

If it were me, I might drive down there and show it to them, and tell them you want to know why the price you were charged is so much more than the price you found on this monroney sticker, and that it makes you very disappointed and you feel somewhat taken advantage of (in a "politely insistent" way), but my expectation would be they would say some version of " Oh, we are sorry about that, the price changed, and someone forgot to remove the old paperwork. There isnt much we can do about it... would you like a free wall connector to make up for it?" (or some such). If you go in "fire and brimstone", I would expect no offer of anything to make it up to you at all.

Thats just a guess though... my own opinion.

If I’m reading this correctly it sounds like Monroney sticker showed the price of a Stealth Performance Model 3 back when it was a $2K upgrade in price over the LR AWD model, as opposed to now when it costs the same to buy a Stealth Performance car versus the Performance with the PUP upgrade package.

Tesla has virtually stopped selling Stealth Performance cars now that there is no cost savings versus taking the upgrade package. Was there a reason you wanted a Stealth car given that you could have had the full Performance version for the same price?

If I’m reading this correctly it sounds like Monroney sticker showed the price of a Stealth Performance Model 3 back when it was a $2K upgrade in price over the LR AWD model, as opposed to now when it costs the same to buy a Stealth Performance car versus the Performance with the PUP upgrade package.

Tesla has virtually stopped selling Stealth Performance cars now that there is no cost savings versus taking the upgrade package. Was there a reason you wanted a Stealth car given that you could have had the full Performance version for the same price?

I suppose, but I don't know what the pricing was at the time. It lists Performance option for $15,000 as opposed to $19,000.

18" wheels & it was in stock w/out having to wait 8 weeks or so :) I wasn't specifically looking for Stealth, I kind of stumbled on it while looking at current inventory.

I suppose, but I don't know what the pricing was at the time. It lists Performance option for $15,000 as opposed to $19,000.

18" wheels & it was in stock w/out having to wait 8 weeks or so :) I wasn't specifically looking for Stealth, I kind of stumbled on it while looking at current inventory.

Tesla sold thousands of Stealth Performance cars last year when they were priced at $2K over the AWD model. You got the acceleration of the Performance model without being stuck with the fragile 20” wheels and the upgraded brakes and suspension that make the car ideal for the race track but less practical for everyday driving use.

But after a while Tesla realized they were stealing sales from the full Performance models by offering the Stealth for such a low price. To complicate matters further they offered a $2K acceleration boost on the AWD model which increased the performance of the AWD to about half way between AWD and Performance. So it made no sense for Tesla to continue offering the Stealth car. For a short period of time they offered it at the same price as the Performance model, and then they just eliminated it completely when it became clear that nobody was going to buy it at the same price as the Performance configuration.

It sounds like you found a Stealth car that was sitting in inventory after the price increase when most people stopped buying them. I don’t know if having known all of this would have changed your decision to buy this car since as you said it was in stock and there was a long lead time for a custom order. If you bought it less than seven days ago you might still have the option of returning it if you would prefer either an AWD model or the full Performance model.

Tesla sold thousands of Stealth Performance cars last year when they were priced at $2K over the AWD model. You got the acceleration of the Performance model without being stuck with the fragile 20” wheels and the upgraded brakes and suspension that make the car ideal for the race track but less practical for everyday driving use.

But after a while Tesla realized they were stealing sales from the full Performance models by offering the Stealth for such a low price. To complicate matters further they offered a $2K acceleration boost on the AWD model which increased the performance of the AWD to about half way between AWD and Performance. So it made no sense for Tesla to continue offering the Stealth car. For a short period of time they offered it at the same price as the Performance model, and then they just eliminated it completely when it became clear that nobody was going to buy it at the same price as the Performance configuration.

It sounds like you found a Stealth car that was sitting in inventory after the price increase when most people stopped buying them. I don’t know if having known all of this would have changed your decision to buy this car since as you said it was in stock and there was a long lead time for a custom order. If you bought it less than seven days ago you might still have the option of returning it if you would prefer either an AWD model or the full Performance model.

Ok, that helps clarify. This stealth, as configured on the sticker, came to $52,000. So it sounds like this may have been at the time when they were pricing it at the $2k over AWD. Although, this one was manufactured this year.

I don't know either how it would have affected my decision, but it just sat funny since they emailed me one sticker and then I found another.