TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Montana LLC

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by sdorn, Oct 19, 2016.

1. sdorn

sdorn Director of Awesome

Has anyone used a Montana LLC to purchase or lease their Model S? I just learned about this from a friend, and wanted to see if anyone has done it before with a Tesla?

Below is a website of a company that provides the service (forming and maintaining the LLC, registering the vehicle, etc.) for more information on what I am talking about.

How to register an exotic car in Montana TAX FREE

It looks like you could run into some real problems doing this (audits and insurance issues), but was wondering if anyone had any experience doing it.

https://thegarage.jalopnik.com/the-pitfalls-of-the-montana-license-plate-scam-1711216059

2. bonaire

bonaire Active Member

That kind of thing is mostly used for RV ownership by travelling "full timers".

3. bwanapete

bwanapete New Member

I'm a retired NY lawyer. I researched doing this, and would not do it for a car which is home-based in New York State.

4. cpa

cpa Active Member

^^^^ This. I am not a lawyer. But I know of residents in California who have gotten gobsmacked with delinquent DMV fees and penalties when CHP finds out their cars are not registered in California. CHP even has a toll-free number to call to report these people. My wife used to be in personal insurance, and she said that many companies refuse to insure autos if the owners live in one state but register their cars in another.

This seems like a penny-wise, pound foolish undertaking.