Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Montana Tesla Owners Club

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
hello all, my name is Joshua and I am a new Tesla owner - Model X Plaid - in Missoula Montana. This is my first Tesla after years of investing and trading the company. My previous vehicle was a Porsche Cayenne. I didn't expect the Tesla to be SUCH an overall upgrade. I love the use of tech, the excellent performance, interior, ease of supercharging. I've already met a few Montana Tesla owners on the road at Super charging stations, but would love to meet more!

Reactions: back9 and PACEMD
Hi,
We are in Bozeman and have ordered a model Y currently listed for delivery at the end of March.

I was wondering how getting a Tesla to Montana works.
We were told at the Spokane Tesla center that our Tesla would be delivered to our nearest Tesla Service Center (not sure if this is Spokane or Salt Lake City) and it would be up to us to pick it up there. But, if we could not pick it up, that for a $700 fee it could be delivered to our house.

Is this the way it works?
How was your delivery made, and how did it go?
We are leaning toward the $700 home delivery fee, but are a bit concerned about getting any defects fixed.
What would you recommend?

Gary

^Last time I was at Spokane, it was full of MT-based Teslas for service. Because SLC is probably very busy, they may try to spread the workload. Also, maps shows Spokane is just slightly closer than SLC, so I would expect your service will be there. As for driving or home delivery, I chose free delivery back in 2015 and it was a big deal, lack of communication and errors in phone numbers made it impossible to know when the carrier would arrive. Today I expect it will be worse. Unfortunately, it’s winter, and your drive could be much worse. Today, I would pickup in Spokane, then spend the money on hotels until the weather clears, but that’s just me (with 8 years experience with Teslas.

There is also a center in Boise but Spokane is the easier drive and I like the folks there. We live in Billings but I just hopped on a plane and picked mine up in Bellevue. I have not needed a service center visit yet at 60k miles. I have had the rover/ranger, whatever we call them now, do some minor work at my home. Anyway, home delivery or local pickup, whatever works for you. Do you want a chicken or an egg?

Thanks guys.

Our delivery date has been put off to late April to mid May, so, at least the weather should be better.

Gary
In that case I would do the drive. Maybe fly (or drive if you have someone with you) in the night before so you can pick up in the morning. That will give you some time to check things out and drive it around Spokane to see if there are any issues you want to address. Also, you should stop and supercharge in Spokane to be sure your account is set up properly as you will definitely need to use the superchargers on the trip.

Driving a few hundred miles with charging stops is as good a way as any to familiarize yourself with the car.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
Hi,
We are scheduled to pick up my Model Y in Spokane on May 2. We live in Bozeman, MT.

A couple questions for other MT Tesla owners...

- Is there any problem with paying sales tax with the delivery taking place in WA?

- Do they provide the paperwork needed to get the MT registration and license?

- Any other things to watch out for?

----------

We are planning to drive the old car over to Spokane and trade it in at Carmax the day before. Does this seem a bit to risky? Anyone had a bad experience with Carmax? Their offer is $7K more than the Tesla trade in offer.

We will have insurance arranged before hand.

Thanks - Gary

Hi,
We are scheduled to pick up my Model Y in Spokane on May 2. We live in Bozeman, MT.

A couple questions for other MT Tesla owners...

- Is there any problem with paying sales tax with the delivery taking place in WA?

- Do they provide the paperwork needed to get the MT registration and license?

- Any other things to watch out for?

----------

We are planning to drive the old car over to Spokane and trade it in at Carmax the day before. Does this seem a bit to risky? Anyone had a bad experience with Carmax? Their offer is $7K more than the Tesla trade in offer.

We will have insurance arranged before hand.

Thanks - Gary

I picked mine up from Spokane in June of 2021.

There should be no sales tax at all.

They will give you a bill of sale and a temporary travel permit. This is only valid for about 3 days. You will need to go to the county car registration place to get your temporary tags that last longer.

Tesla will FedEx you the packet of papers you need to actually register it and get plates. In the summer of 2021, mine took a while and I needed to get an extension on my temp tags.

You MUST have insurance started on your new Tesla to pick it up.

Thanks Sriehl - very helpful.

We got the insurance card this morning.

Does Tesla FedEx the package before pickup, or after you have the car back home?

Decided to do a one way car rental over to Spokane to pick up the Tesla rather than taking a chance on CarMax - may do the CarMax later.

Gary

You won't get that packet for weeks. A lot of dealers send the paperwork directly to your county MVD, tesla does not. You just bring it when you get the new plates.

When I got my temporary tags, I didn't need an appointment or to take a number. There was a separate window, I think something about title work? I live in Billings and did it in Kalispell since I was on a vacation. You just need the bill of sale that you get when you pick up your car.

Reactions: GaryRR
Hi,

I've had the Y for a few days now, and have to say it puts a smile on my face every time I drive it :)

I'm trying to decide how to deal with mounting the front license.

The solutions I'm aware of are....

- Use the Tesla provided plastic plate holder held on with double sided tape.

- Use one of the metal holders that fastens to the grill like the Slipstream

- Don't put a front plate on and risk a ticket

- Attach the plate directly to the front face of the Tesla with double back tape

I don't like the standard holder that Tesla supplies either aerodynamically or aesthetically.

Same for the clip in the grill ones, but nice that you can remove them.

I'd like to just not use a front plate - is there any experience with doing this in MT and how often police object?

The idea of just attaching the license plate directly to the nose of the Tesla with double back tape is appealing. There is a nice spot to do this where the plate fits with very little curvature. It seems like the this method has the least aero and visual affects?
I'm a bit concerned about whether it can come off without leaving a mess, but I've read that some of the double back tapes can be removed.

So, I'm just wondering what people think of the various solutions and what people are doing?

Gary