Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Month in and...[model 3 new owner review]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After my first 6 weeks in my new M3LR I am really liking it. Lots of great positives. The following are observations and comments which would make the great car into My perfect car.

1) From a BMW M240 or BMW Z4 its a bigger car. Turning circle is way lower and still getting used to it. Size is now not an issue. I did drop down to a £400 ford KA for a 6 weeks while waiting. No care old car to a 50K plus car....

2) Headlights on all the time 95% other cars none on but my tes on only off if sun is out.

3) OK we are in not full imperial in UK Yes MPH and MPG but whats inches and feet. In the UK we use yards or cm so EU is KM and UK is mainl SI. So sat nav MUST be yards not feet, and parking cm, BMW does this perfectly. Just a UK thing but important.

4) Cruse control WHY cant we push stick up or press brake peddle to pause the current set speed and push down again to reinstate last set speed not cancel. I dont trust the speed set point as its fairly wrong a lot of the time.

5) Why is there not a way to scroll through menu from one of the steering wheel buttons. Have more control of the media than car.

6) The right button is as bad, yes can control the cruse speed, or activate voice which I really find stupid when people in car and not really used, or distance from car in front a point surly the latter is not a fixed distance but speed related 3 cars distance at 30 is a lot more at 80. and its really should be a sub menu.

7) Why cant I set the touch screens how I want them, smaller sat nav, info on KW/ mile. May be my top 10 used controls. I use a phone a lot so why is this in a sub menu

8) Menu on the left and to close its far top left x.... left come on Im having to physically move out of my seat to close the x really. and need several stabs.

9) The right screen with car, its constantly warning me on the left. In the UK we have narrow roads. so yellow or red and bings and bongs Or do I have an issue.

10) Trip counter. Found the cards buy swiping but really it also should be in a menu item as well. Also the cards are massive and dont remember my choice. I want either since last drive current trip and since charge all the time. what is watts per mile its miles per kw like mpg. kw its the cost unit. like gallons uk or usa gallons.

11) phantom drain. So I can be doing 200 w/ mile but soon loose 3Kw but tesla repots when the car is moving. NO

12) Phantom drain. I got the M3 on a friday ad drove on holiday on Sat. Unlike a petrol car it was draining the battery, arrived with 110 miles to find it dropped to 65%. NO If I have 30% in the tank its 30% 4 days later.

13) OK I have learnt but as above I was driving 240 miles Tesla told me to pop in a supercharge at 72% so I did and ended up at 110 miles with no local supercharger. Hindsight I should have ignored got as far as I can near and supercharged leaving me 250 miles. SO they need to change to ask what I want at the end. At home nit an issue as I have a charger.

14) when it alarms up its a small text. Come on make it bigger I am driving.

15) all alerts need to be available to be reviewed.

16) Mobile app is a bit flakey, couple of times its stopped needing the card to get in. couple of times its not locked the car.

17) lack of data from OEM teslafi is making up for it. Tesla should grab it and merge.

18) After charging in the morning I need to get phone our, log in to phone , open app, wait, unlock charge point, wait, to remove charger. Come on if my phone is near why is there not a button by the plug pint to release the plug if phone is near like the trunk.

As I say its just a list to improve on a great car

• Informative
Reactions: mcirish and KenC
A few comments on your comments:
Point 4: I totally agree
Point 5: Again, I agree. Sometimes it's just a bit too hard (and dangerous) to reach over to the touch screen, especially on narrow, twisting roads.
Point 7: A lot of people have brought this up in the past. You are not alone on this point.
Point 8: I'm not sure about this. Maybe it's only an issue in GB where you drive on the other side of the road
Point 9: Where I live in rural New England the roads are also narrow and I have the same issue, especially in winter when snow banks make the roads
even more narrow, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
Point 10: To see the trip odometer, just push the right button and say, "show odometer". I know you feel foolish using voice commands when you have
passengers, but it is the easiest way. And yes, the odometer is too big and in a bad place, blocking my view of traffic approaching from behind.
Point 16: I've had my car for 13 months and have had only 1 problem with the App. And that turned out to be my fault because I had inadvertently shut the
App down.

On point 16, you sometimes have to delete the mobile key and delete the BT profile and then add it back on again to be reliable. Software updates, both on car and the phone can create some issues so re-installing the key usually solves the issues.

Reactions: drdumont
Regarding reaching over to move things on screen as you are driving down narrow twisty roads...what exactly do you need to change/see while you are driving down these roads?

Re Points 11,12 & 13...doesn't seem to make much sense...can you go into more detail? Also, what was the 240 mile trip you were making...from where to where?

Last edited:
12) Phantom drain. I got the M3 on a friday ad drove on holiday on Sat. Unlike a petrol car it was draining the battery, arrived with 110 miles to find it dropped to 65%. NO If I have 30% in the tank its 30% 4 days later.

Are you saying that you drove it down to 65%, i.e., used 35% battery driving it 110 miles.

Then, 4 days later, it has dropped from 65% to 30% without any actual driving? That's some pretty serious drain (if that's the case), I see you mentioned TeslaFi, sounds like maybe it's making excessive calls to the car and/or you're running some other power consumers like Sentry, overheat protection, etc.[?]

Generally, without any waking up, the car should lose about 1% every 1-2 days or so (assuming all "active" systems are shut down).

Reactions: drdumont
Are you saying that you drove it down to 65%, i.e., used 35% battery driving it 110 miles.

Then, 4 days later, it has dropped from 65% to 30% without any actual driving? That's some pretty serious drain (if that's the case), I see you mentioned TeslaFi, sounds like maybe it's making excessive calls to the car and/or you're running some other power consumers like Sentry, overheat protection, etc.[?]

Generally, without any waking up, the car should lose about 1% every 1-2 days or so (assuming all "active" systems are shut down).

I personally ignore any talks of "phantom drain" unless the person confirms they are not using sentry mode, and / or have tried disabling any third party tool they configured and tested again.

Without either one of those, any talks of drain while not in use, I ignore, because at this point its normally one of those two things (or cabin overheat protection) / standby summon, so one of those 4 things I guess).

Reactions: MaskedRacerX
After my first 6 weeks in my new M3LR I am really liking it. Lots of great positives. The following are observations and comments which would make the great car into My perfect car.

1) From a BMW M240 or BMW Z4 its a bigger car. Turning circle is way lower and still getting used to it. Size is now not an issue. I did drop down to a £400 ford KA for a 6 weeks while waiting. No care old car to a 50K plus car....

2) Headlights on all the time 95% other cars none on but my tes on only off if sun is out.

3) OK we are in not full imperial in UK Yes MPH and MPG but whats inches and feet. In the UK we use yards or cm so EU is KM and UK is mainl SI. So sat nav MUST be yards not feet, and parking cm, BMW does this perfectly. Just a UK thing but important.

4) Cruse control WHY cant we push stick up or press brake peddle to pause the current set speed and push down again to reinstate last set speed not cancel. I dont trust the speed set point as its fairly wrong a lot of the time.

5) Why is there not a way to scroll through menu from one of the steering wheel buttons. Have more control of the media than car.

6) The right button is as bad, yes can control the cruse speed, or activate voice which I really find stupid when people in car and not really used, or distance from car in front a point surly the latter is not a fixed distance but speed related 3 cars distance at 30 is a lot more at 80. and its really should be a sub menu.

7) Why cant I set the touch screens how I want them, smaller sat nav, info on KW/ mile. May be my top 10 used controls. I use a phone a lot so why is this in a sub menu

8) Menu on the left and to close its far top left x.... left come on Im having to physically move out of my seat to close the x really. and need several stabs.

9) The right screen with car, its constantly warning me on the left. In the UK we have narrow roads. so yellow or red and bings and bongs Or do I have an issue.

10) Trip counter. Found the cards buy swiping but really it also should be in a menu item as well. Also the cards are massive and dont remember my choice. I want either since last drive current trip and since charge all the time. what is watts per mile its miles per kw like mpg. kw its the cost unit. like gallons uk or usa gallons.

11) phantom drain. So I can be doing 200 w/ mile but soon loose 3Kw but tesla repots when the car is moving. NO

13) OK I have learnt but as above I was driving 240 miles Tesla told me to pop in a supercharge at 72% so I did and ended up at 110 miles with no local supercharger. Hindsight I should have ignored got as far as I can near and supercharged leaving me 250 miles. SO they need to change to ask what I want at the end. At home nit an issue as I have a charger.

14) when it alarms up its a small text. Come on make it bigger I am driving.

16) Mobile app is a bit flakey, couple of times its stopped needing the card to get in. couple of times its not locked the car.

17) lack of data from OEM teslafi is making up for it. Tesla should grab it and merge.

18) After charging in the morning I need to get phone our, log in to phone , open app, wait, unlock charge point, wait, to remove charger. Come on if my phone is near why is there not a button by the plug

Regarding #15, you can review alerts. Under the service menu, there is a notifications button. That will show you alerts and error messages you received.

Thanks for replys

Just to confirm "phantom drain" point.
I had the car for 24hrs did not know that a car can loose 3kw in a day my petrol and dash cam on did not drain 15 miles a day/ 2l or petrol. I do now. same with all the other apps. I have only the tesla app. Teslafi I think forces the car to sleep faster. The trip I only had 110 miles left so in a few days was dropping like stone in a place I did not know how or where to charged the tesla.

The trip was from Derby to Tenby south wales and has only one 50kw point and a couple of 7kw. I came back via Swansea and Cardiff both have more points and cardiff has tesla and superchargers.

15)
Thanks Oh that is where I seen it once. If something pops up a i should be shown on the main screen top so you can view it instead of remembering the sub menus.

9)
My main drive to work through the derbyshire peak to dales through some narrow roads, oh I need to make a call or do anything on the screen then needs manual pressing the X on the far left to close a screen.

12)
The point is I was advised to top up at 78% and ended up at 110 mile range in a place with no superchargers and one 50kw. No home charger. Would be better to have a choice of full at destination or empty. If full I would have left the 78% charge and continue to Cardiff the last supercharger to top up. I would then arrive with 260 miles not 110 mile range.

Thanks for replys

I had the car for 24hrs did not know that a car can loose 3kw in a day my petrol and dash cam on did not drain 15 miles a day/ 2l or petrol. I do now. same with all the other apps. I have only the tesla app. Teslafi I think forces the car to sleep faster. The trip I only had 110 miles left so in a few days was dropping like stone in a place I did not know how or where to charged the tesla.

The trip was from Derby to Tenby south wales and has only one 50kw point and a couple of 7kw. I came back via Swansea and Cardiff both have more points and cardiff has tesla and superchargers.

15)
Thanks Oh that is where I seen it once. If something pops up a i should be shown on the main screen top so you can view it instead of remembering the sub menus.

9)
My main drive to work through the derbyshire peak to dales through some narrow roads, oh I need to make a call or do anything on the screen then needs manual pressing the X on the far left to close a screen.

12)
The point is I was advised to top up at 78% and ended up at 110 mile range in a place with no superchargers and one 50kw. No home charger. Would be better to have a choice of full at destination or empty. If full I would have left the 78% charge and continue to Cardiff the last supercharger to top up. I would then arrive with 260 miles not 110 mile range.

Teslafi does not "force the car to sleep faster", and a car with no third party apps, no sentry mode or cabin overheat protection will lose 1-3 miles a day.

Thanks for replys

15)

9)

12)
I still dont follow point 12! Do you mean Tesla app advised you to top up 'to' 78% rather than 'at' ?? I dont follow 'better too have a choice of full at destination or empty'?? Its always better to be as full as possible!

Thanks for replys

I had the car for 24hrs did not know that a car can loose 3kw in a day my petrol and dash cam on did not drain 15 miles a day/ 2l or petrol. I do now.

I'm still confused about correlating battery loss in a Tesla EV to an ICE vehicle ... ?

Definitely look into the voice commands. I regularly text my wife when I'm driving - push right button >> "send message to J" >> "blah blah blah do we need anything from the store ..." >> single click to send

I still dont follow point 12! Do you mean Tesla app advised you to top up 'to' 78% rather than 'at' ?? I dont follow 'better too have a choice of full at destination or empty'?? Its always better to be as full as possible!
Yes it told me to top up 40 miles from the start from 100% charge. It was 78% when I supercharged it and took way longer to charge to 100%. Did another 190 miles and ended up 110 miles left. I passed the last supercharger 40 miles from finish so I could have popped in so be full as possible but it did not plant it..

Man, the OPs grammar and spelling are rough to parse!

12: You're switching from rated range to SoC% in the same sentence, and it's difficult for folks in this thread to parse how much phantom drain you've experienced. I'm going to assume that you're experiencing temperature drops this time of year, and that can easily affect your range. Sentry mode also affects drain.
15: You can review all alerts, I forget exactly where it is but I think you can find it in "Safety and Security".
18: The mobile charger my car came with does have a button on it, and it allows me to remove the cable when I press it. Is your charger not from Tesla?

Yes it told me to top up 40 miles from the start from 100% charge. It was 78% when I supercharged it and took way longer to charge to 100%. Did another 190 miles and ended up 110 miles left. I passed the last supercharger 40 miles from finish so I could have popped in so be full as possible but it did not plant it..
Tesla did the right thing. It doesn't take into consideration where you end up..ie if you have access to a charger at your destination. It does not know you are going to be driving around at your destination nor can it take that into consideration. It would have sent you the other charger on the way back and you would have arrived home with less charge. It can't know what your driving plans are when you get to the destination.

Let's cut the OP some slack here. There are many differences in how the language is spoken/written between the USA and the UK. We should help as much as possible to improve the OP's knowledge and experience. That is what we all should be doing for each other.
I'm British and I am having a hard time understanding! I don't think English is the OPs first language. I think everyone is trying to help but we need to really understand the issues before that can happen...

Reactions: Mikey3LR
Man, the OPs grammar and spelling are rough to parse!

12: You're switching from rated range to SoC% in the same sentence, and it's difficult for folks in this thread to parse how much phantom drain you've experienced. I'm going to assume that you're experiencing temperature drops this time of year, and that can easily affect your range. Sentry mode also affects drain.
15: You can review all alerts, I forget exactly where it is but I think you can find it in "Safety and Security".
18: The mobile charger my car came with does have a button on it, and it allows me to remove the cable when I press it. Is your charger not from Tesla?
12 Sorry it should be 65 miles not 65% so it dropped from 110 miles to 65. It was due to having everything on as from factory as I only picked it up Friday and Saturday went on holiday 250 miles next day. It was not cold just the car not sleeping and CCTV stuff and me calling on the tesla app from the phone.
15 yes now I know but I did not from day one.
18 no button like a dedicated tesla charge lead. I have a myenergi zappi7Kw EV charger point Even today had issues with trying to unlock the point on the tesla app standing there waiting for the app to find the car then unlock, which it seemed to do but the plug was stuck and took a few attempts to release the plug. So it unlocks the car if I am near why cant I press a button on the car to release the charge plug.