Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Month old 90D won't start.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately it looks like this problem has reared its ugly head again. Door handles and other accessories work, but no life from either of the two screens. And this time it happened while I'm out of town visiting my girlfriend.

Two incapacitating failures in less than one month - disappointing.

Have you tried pulling the fuse for the displays and seeing if they come to life after sitting or for 30 seconds?

Here is some reassurance!!

All cars fail. My 2013 Mercedes GL had a leaking transfer case. I almost slipped on the fuild in my garage. Then a seat handle broke, then the sunroof 3 times(still not fixed), seat massage system failed, broken wiper mechanism, there is more I can't remember it all.

My 2012 Audi R8 had a back firing problem that had to fixed with software, and it had a spare electrical connector on the carpet when it was delivered and one time, ONE TIME it failed to get me laid.

My 1995 Porsche 911 Targa had a roof that made crunching noises under flex, a webasto engineer on a flight told me the fix.

Every car I have owned that cost more than $70k new, failed. Except for my GTR, but I did not like that car.

As consumers we give a pass to huge brands, and hold new brands to some insane standard. I notice it in my own field as well.

You have an incredible car and Tesla will warranty it for you. And they will probably do even more to help that the letter of their warranty. Congrats on owning the coolest product I have ever seen.

Unfortunately it looks like this problem has reared its ugly head again. Door handles and other accessories work, but no life from either of the two screens. And this time it happened while I'm out of town visiting my girlfriend.

Two incapacitating failures in less than one month - disappointing.

Sorry to hear. Hard to imagine it was the DC DC again. Keep us posted.

Service center said it may be a wiring fault behind the center screen. Will post again once I receive more updates.

Trying to not let these issues dampen my enthusiasm for the car and the brand. At least the service center has been excellent to me so far!

Picking up my car today! Apparently there was some kind of issue with the center display, so they've replaced the entire unit. No issue this time with the 12v battery or related systems it seems - after receiving my car, they got it to start after pulling a fuse to perform a hard reset.

Technology can be a finicky beast. Hope you guys don't have to go through anything like this!

Turns out it was a faulty DC to DC converter that ended up killing the 12v battery. They replaced both the converter and battery, and all seems to be well now. Props to the SD service center for fixing my car so quickly!

On a side note, having a P85D loaner for a few days really makes my 90D feel slow in comparison.
This is all part of Tesla's evil plan... your car has a "breakdown", they give you a faster loaner, you get hooked and have to upgrade :).

A copy of your service invoice line item would be appreciated.

Are you referring to this?

LineItem.jpg

Got my car back and so far everything seems okay!

...except that my car originally came equipped with LTE, and now I only have 3G internet access. :frown: Oi...
Are you referring to this?

View attachment 98924

I imagine they accidentally installed a display without the LTE upgrade. Hopefully not, but if so, they will need to open up your dash again to swap out the cellular daughter card.

I imagine they accidentally installed a display without the LTE upgrade. Hopefully not, but if so, they will need to open up your dash again to swap out the cellular daughter card.

It sure looks like that's the case. Still waiting to hear back from the service center.

I feel like I've spent more time in a loaner than in my car this month. Not a particularly fussy customer, but I wouldn't mind getting some floor mats or whatever for all the hassle :wink:

It sure looks like that's the case. Still waiting to hear back from the service center.

I feel like I've spent more time in a loaner than in my car this month. Not a particularly fussy customer, but I wouldn't mind getting some floor mats or whatever for all the hassle :wink:

I dont think thats fussy or unreasonable... They should have some kind of policy in place like that really. 3 visits in one month would be enough to break my spirits. I'm assuming in 3 years you wont even really remember this, but man that initial enthusiasm which can be so exciting surely has been dampened. I hope it all works out for you after this fix

I know exactly how you feel. I bought my car in May and I couldn't really drive it until August. It just had to have one thing after the next fixed up. At least the loaners help and once it is all done, you'll love your S!

Thanks guys, really appreciate the support! This has been quite frustrating but I'm trying to not let it get to me.

Cyclone, I remember your thread about all the issues with your car! Hopefully everything got resolved to your satisfaction :eek:

Glad to hear service is so on top of keeping you aware of what is going on. I'm also glad to see they provided you with a Tesla loaner. My biggest disappointment in finally being able to afford Porsche GT car has been that they would not even provide me a Porsche loaner when the car had issues. I do believe that after this many service issues in such short time, that they would offer some time of simple gesture of thanks for your continued patience [one month of your loan/lease paid for you, floor mats, free dual charger, free center console, or something].