Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Monthly Parking in Manhattan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Galve2000

May 20, 2013
NYC
I am considering getting a monthly space in Manhattan and a lot of garages in my neighborhood (near Columbus circle) are running promotions as low as $159/month + tax.

of course, as soon as I inquired about these rates I was told that "Teslas pay an extra $200/month for insurance reasons"

so I am wondering, how many of you with a monthly parking space in Manhattan pay some sort of extra "exotic" rate on top of the usual parking rates?

to add insult to injury.. was told that if I wanted to use the Tesla destination chargers at one of these locations, it would be an extra $50/month.

All told I was quoted a $600/month rate inclusive of taxes which is way more than I wanted to spend. I already have a monthly spot near my workplace where I can store my car when if and when I am travelling. so this would be a second garage to avoid parking on the street at home and is therefore a bit of a splurge.

I have a monthly spot at 230 W 55th St that my employer pays for to the tune of $450. There is no exotic rate charge for my Model S P85D and while the advertised rate for using their HPWC is $10, I have never paid $.01.

It is a Champion garage and I know the owners of the company who are installing as many chargers throughout the city as they can.

Most garages I've parked don't even consider Tesla oversized or exotic so I pay the base rate.. across about 5 different garages run by different companies.

They are just trying to get out of honoring their "special".
Probably a scam they never actually let anyone get that price.

Reactions: Galve2000
They are just trying to get out of honoring their "special".
Probably a scam they never actually let anyone get that price.

I suspect that this is exactly what's going on. This is an Icon garage (although it used to be managed by Quick Park -- I think they recently merged.) When I used to park with Icon years ago (at a different location) I was still driving a Volt which is considerably smaller than the Model S and much cheaper to repair in the event of any damage.

At some point at a 3rd Icon garage closer to my office the garage manager invited me to get a monthly spot for my Volt (mentioning that that my car "was not too big" and they would have no trouble finding space for it. They were sometimes turning away daily parkers at the time due to lack of space.

I'm going to wait until the new year to decide what to do. honestly if there were Destination Chargers or Supper Chargers at the big Battery Parking Garage I would continue to wing it without a spot at home b/c I could just get my charging done while at work.

It's tragic that the Battery Parking Garage doesn't have charging - I'm downtown, and I've parked my other cars there for years up until recently. Never an issue.

I'm getting quoted between 900-1000/mo for the Tesla at Icon. Charging is included with that. Downside is they're definitely quoting me the "exotic" rate. The choices here in NYC are pretty grim - the BPC garage needs to modernize. Love that garage.

Fortunately the parking rates in Williamsburg are much much lower ($225-300/mo) however the current lots with charging are too far to be convenient to me. They are bunched up on the North side near all the towers on the water that went up during the last boom..

Hoping that 325 Kent / Domino comes through on the charging their staff says is being considered.

There is a significant amount of rate variability, so definitely check multiple times. In garage they can usually quote you M-F during the business day. Calling the garage management company (e.g. Icon, Central, Laz, etc.) is probably the lowest quote. Then in some cases, there are automatic online quotes (e.g. you can apply for monthly parking online) but be prepared for them to kick back your application and give you a line about "exotic cars".

For Manhattan residents, don't forget you are parking tax exempt ... you can drop your parking tax liability by 8% (from 18% to 10%) by applying here: Manhattan Resident Parking Tax Exemption

It's tragic that the Battery Parking Garage doesn't have charging - the BPC garage needs to modernize. Love that garage.

I stopped into that garage today to update my billing info and was told by the long-time manager that they are looking into installing "around 20" charging stalls on the second floor of this garage. I asked if they were Tesla chargers and he said yes.. although he seemed unsure of himself.

I think it is too good to be true.. but I am hopeful... I have been lobbying them for years for something like this.

from what the manager mentioned, it sounds like they will add a mix of destination chargers and SuperChargers -- which suits me just fine as my car is parked here all day long 5 days a week. he mentioned that the "fast chargers" cost roughly $65,000 a pop and obviously the destination chargers are a fraction of that.

The $65,000 figure scares me a bit b/c it sounds like it could be some sort of EVgo SAE/ChAdeMo solution.. but the "20 stalls" sounds more like something Tesla would do. can anybody comment on the rough install prices of urban type SCers?

it is too bad that they chose the second floor b/c it is often difficult to get a parking spot there and i expect ICEing will be a problem. Perhaps they will put these stalls in the "annex" section of the parking garage which is slightly less prone to overcrowding.

I also know from personal experience that they are quick to put boots on cars that are abusing the parking for whatever reason. The lot is run by LAZ but owned by the city or by the MTA so while not exactly a municipal lot, it is sometimes run like one. Which partly explains the lag in getting any type of chargers installed here.

I wonder how they will price the charging as that seems to be very random.

I have monthly parking in a garage without charging.
Additionally I've used several garages by the hour w/ superchargers at which I pay for parking, and pay Tesla for the supercharging.

I was calling garages in Brooklyn with L2 chargers for some hourly/day parking rates and most of them wanted an (high) flat fee to charge.
The prices were all over the place really.

Examples within a 1/2 mile of each other -
Garage 1 $22/evening or $25/day to park but "$25+tax to charge" (seemingly flat fee)
Garage 2 $26/10hr or $40/day to park but only "$10 to charge" (again quoted as if it was a one time flat fee)
Garage 3 $20/10hr or $45/day to park and "charging is free.. I think but you gotta call in advance so we can park you near charger"

At those rates its more convenient to pick the cheapest/convenient option and just supercharge elsewhere.

Reactions: Galve2000
I think supercharging should be free if there is more of than a $5 fee to park at the supercharger.

There are garages in jersey where it’s $2.50 to park at the supercharger and I think the one in Yonkers is $4-5... personally I’d pay up to $10 in addition to supercharging fees. But if I had to pay more than that (which is generally the case in nyc at least) I would not want to pay for charging regardless of what kind of car I had.

The parking fee is enough of a deterant keep people from abusing the (free) supercharger.