TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Monthly rental until your Model S is delivered?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by yobigd20, Dec 3, 2012.

1. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

Ok so I had to lemon my current vehicle and I'm P13306, so I wont be getting my Model S until sometime next summer. I was going to play musical cars with family members but all their cars have problems lol. One's got an electrical short, one doesn't start sometimes, another doesn't have heat, another shakes like the tires are going to fall off anytime you go over 60. And they all have REALLY poor gas mileage where I basically have to fill up every other day. I'm not driving any of those.

Where is the best place I can get a monthly rental until then? Has anyone else have experience doing this? Any thoughts or suggestions? I can't wait to get my Model S but until then I need to figure out a way to get a decent temporary car rental for 6 months or so.

2. Robert.Boston

Robert.Boston Model S VIN P01536

Perhaps you can swap into a lease. Here's a discussion of that option.

3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Would buying a very old but still safe car be cheaper? The resale has already taken the big hit at that point.

4. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I don't see how that's any different than driving around any of my family's cars for free that all have problems, lol. I was trying to rent something newer that is more reliable....

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm I'm fully aware of swapping leases. I considered doing that for my wife a while back. I hadn't considered doing that here since I drive about 2500 miles a month. However, maybe someones got 6 months and a lot of miles left....thanks for the suggestion! I'll take a look around. I already knew about swapalease.com and leasetrader.com , any other places you might suggest I look for taking over a lease from someone else?

5. kevincwelch

kevincwelch Active Member

Public transportation!

6. sublimaze1

sublimaze1 8Dec2012 / Leeroy Jenkins

Your father's F350 because he is old and retired and can't see well at night.

7. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

Buy a ~100,000 mile used car. Most likely you will be able to sell it for almost as much as you bought it for, assuming it is still running. A bit of a gamble, but if you go cheap enough it will probably be cheaper than renting anyway.

Plus you will appreciate your Model S much more when it finally arrives.

8. KenEE

KenEE P1937 Reward Excellence!

Get the loaners fixed. It's often not that expensive and the doner's (of the loaner's :) ) could use the repair as well.

9. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

I too would get the cars fixed or soldthe as why take up garage space with unreliable cars. I would bet most can be fixed for a few months rent.

10. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I also would go for getting one of those cars fixed. The problems you mentioned sound like shade tree mechanic work (well besides a simple wheel balance/front-end alignment).