Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Monthly rental until your Model S is delivered?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok so I had to lemon my current vehicle and I'm P13306, so I wont be getting my Model S until sometime next summer. I was going to play musical cars with family members but all their cars have problems lol. One's got an electrical short, one doesn't start sometimes, another doesn't have heat, another shakes like the tires are going to fall off anytime you go over 60. And they all have REALLY poor gas mileage where I basically have to fill up every other day. I'm not driving any of those.

Where is the best place I can get a monthly rental until then? Has anyone else have experience doing this? Any thoughts or suggestions? I can't wait to get my Model S but until then I need to figure out a way to get a decent temporary car rental for 6 months or so.

Would buying a very old but still safe car be cheaper? The resale has already taken the big hit at that point.

I don't see how that's any different than driving around any of my family's cars for free that all have problems, lol. I was trying to rent something newer that is more reliable....

- - - Updated - - -

Perhaps you can swap into a lease. Here's a discussion of that option.

Hmm I'm fully aware of swapping leases. I considered doing that for my wife a while back. I hadn't considered doing that here since I drive about 2500 miles a month. However, maybe someones got 6 months and a lot of miles left....thanks for the suggestion! I'll take a look around. I already knew about swapalease.com and leasetrader.com , any other places you might suggest I look for taking over a lease from someone else?

Buy a ~100,000 mile used car. Most likely you will be able to sell it for almost as much as you bought it for, assuming it is still running. A bit of a gamble, but if you go cheap enough it will probably be cheaper than renting anyway.

Plus you will appreciate your Model S much more when it finally arrives.