Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Montreal-Quebec: Tesla M3 SP+ RWD or M3 LR AWD - Which one to buy?!

If you were to buy used C43 AMG Coupe or Tesla LR AWD, which one would you go for?

• Mercedes-Benz C43 AMG no incentives, more fuel and maintenance costs!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've got an sr+ in december and we live on north shore of Montreal, typically we always get around 200km range unless it's brutally cold outside like the -25 we got 2 weeks ago. That day I got around 160km range driving 120kmh on highway blasting cabin heat at 26c...

I don't have any regrets not buying the LR as the price difference with the incentives is quite steep...

Wife drives the car 80% of the time, while she was totally in love with the car before ordering it I had to reason her that the car was rwd only and could potentially be less "great " on snow and ice. Finally we are both surprised at how great it is in winter with good tires...

Even in cold weather if you don't go out in the woods there are several superchargers around montreal, I took the plunge on the 700$ chademo adapter as the circuit electrique has a lot of dc fast chargers available, makes the charging opportunity much more convenient...

If you are about to order don't forget to ask someone driving a Tesla for their referral link so you and them get 1500km free supercharging
Thank you! that was some good insights. As you mentioned, the price difference and the incentives make the SR+ very attractive choice.

Hi @gearheadDigest

I live in Ottawa. I picked up a LR AWD in September 2018 and have run 38,000 km. I've driven through 2 winters here. I've also done several road trips, one to Florida, and another to Mexico > California > home (12,500 km).

There are pros and cons to either option of course, but I'd recommend the AWD / LR for our weather - both to avoid not being able to get up hills, and for range in very cold weather. I'm driving from Ottawa to Montreal many weekends right now, and I'd say you will not be able to reliably drive that 2+ hours in less than a LR in cold weather. I planned to buy AWD SR originally, but they never released it. I bought LR because I needed AWD to get into our cottage in the Gatineau Hills - no 2WD will get up our hills. I don't regret it! If you plan on occasional road trips, you'll appreciate being able to drive 3.5 hours at a stretch (stopping once or twice per day) vs. 2.5 hours at a stretch (and stopping up to four times per trip).

My $0.02 worth based on experience.

This was really helpful! Thanks for sharing your experience.
I definitely don't want the range anxiety. I am trying to justify $15000 price difference (losing $5000 Fed Incentives, and the LR AWD is $10000 more).

We've got an sr+ in december and we live on north shore of Montreal, typically we always get around 200km range unless it's brutally cold outside like the -25 we got 2 weeks ago. That day I got around 160km range driving 120kmh on highway blasting cabin heat at 26c...

I don't have any regrets not buying the LR as the price difference with the incentives is quite steep...

Wife drives the car 80% of the time, while she was totally in love with the car before ordering it I had to reason her that the car was rwd only and could potentially be less "great " on snow and ice. Finally we are both surprised at how great it is in winter with good tires...

Even in cold weather if you don't go out in the woods there are several superchargers around montreal, I took the plunge on the 700$ chademo adapter as the circuit electrique has a lot of dc fast chargers available, makes the charging opportunity much more convenient...

If you are about to order don't forget to ask someone driving a tesla for their referal link so you and them get 1500km free supercharging

HI I'm from Montreal, really confused If I can get a Model 3 SR+, its little more than what I can afford but still looking at m3 sr+. real question, I dont have a garage but I've a charging point across the st that I can use. Would that be any problem? and I'm new to montreal too and with this traffic and weather, how is the range loss? can i expect 70% of what its shown in winter?