Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Montreal Road Trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello from the US! My family and I are looking to do a road trip in my new Model 3 to your beautiful city sometime at the end of July and looking for suggestions on where to stay, eat and experience. Our kids are 4 and 2 so need to take that into account.

How hard is it to drive around Montreal or would you suggest getting around in the subway/metro?

Hello from the US! My family and I are looking to do a road trip in my new Model 3 to your beautiful city sometime at the end of July and looking for suggestions on where to stay, eat and experience. Our kids are 4 and 2 so need to take that into account.

How hard is it to drive around Montreal or would you suggest getting around in the subway/metro?
I would suggest using the metro. You can get day passes for unlimited rides for the adults and your kids can ride free.

I would suggest using the metro. You can get day passes for unlimited rides for the adults and your kids can ride free.

It also partly depends what you want to do and how much you like to have your car. If you’re going to the Olympic stadium / Biodôme etc there is tons of parking. I was in Montreal last weekend and had no issues driving around - it’s nowhere near as congested as some of the larger US cities.

Great thing in Montreal is LOTS of superchargers! Not so great thing is all the road works. Another Tesla driver I talked to mentioned that AP doesn’t do well with cones and things - beware if you’re thinking of using it there.

Reactions: jtpassat
These days it's pretty tough getting around in Montreal unfortunately, with all the roadwork going on.

But the new navigation is pretty darn smart and appears to be aware of roadwork so it should route you correctly to your destination.

Once you've parked, stay parked and use public transit, you should be fine.

Lots and lots of places to visit.

Bring your kids to the old port or Six Flags La Ronde and watch the fireworks festival, that's a classic for sure: Program | La Ronde

Dining: great food places everywhere, but my own suggestion is a MTL classic smoked meat restaurant: Schwartz's Deli:Schwartz's Deli

Enjoy your stay!

Where are you planning on going?
In general, there are a lot of Circuit Électrique curb side chargers in the downtown area and nearby. There aren’t many metros which have public parking. If you are going to use the Circuit Électrique network? Be sure to create an account

5FF54706-3E1D-4D9D-999E-D78B9198BB3D.jpeg B80307BB-D24A-40B4-AF18-11A34CB88268.jpeg I second the thought of ‘park for the day and use the Metro’. I was up there a couple weeks ago and some areas near the highway construction were really choked.

If you’re near, have a look at the waterfront near the Old Port of Montreal. They had a lotta carnival stuff there for Victoria Day, hopefully a lot of it’s still there.

The zip line will be there for sure, maybe not the best for a 2year old , there is also a big Ferris wheel you can ride on. You can park at the Complexe Chaussegros-de-Léry or at the Centre des Sciences de Montreal but expensive parking: 25$/3 hours. Both have chargers. This might interest you: behind the zip line in vawlkus’ photo, there a big rope park. It’s basically on a pirate ship and you can play on different walkways, oh I don’t know how to say it! I think your 4yr old would enjoy

I

I looked at the chargers near me on Plugshare and decided to get a Flo card, and eChargeNetwork card.

No need to get both since their networks are interoperable. Actually, a 3rd network. the Electric Circuit, is a better option. It works with the first two networks and the fee for the card ($10+tax is cheaper than the $15 price for the others).

It's fairly easy to move around Montreal at the end of July, a lot of people are on vacation. I would suggest to use Waze for your movements on the Montreal island. The city has partnered with Waze and is entering roadwork directly in the app.

For hotels (both with destination charger) I would suggest depending on budget
- Alt Hotel
- Saint Sulpice

Restaurants I like (but not sure about young kids)
- Mangiafoco
- Tapeo
- Joe Beef
- Au pied de cochon
- Lucille
- Park

Things to do with kids
- La Ronde
- Biodome
- La Grande Roue de Montreal
- Montreal Science Center
- Parc Jean Drapeau

Most of the good restaurants I know are in the north end, but some good ones that I can still remember are
- No#900 Pizzeria (also good for kids)
- Schwartz (a CLASSIC)
- Kesté Pizzeria (really good)
- bunch of good restaurants on the Plateau Mont-Royal
-
Ok I am not very creative but there are all sorts of possibilities for eating here, I would suggest checking out TripAdvisor or Google Maps.
Also, I would add to Buzz’ fun list by adding:
- The entire area around the Biodôme ( <= is closed this year): Planetarium, Botanical Gardens, Insectarium, Parc Olympique
- Vieux Port
- Place-des-Arts (where the jazz fest will have just finished)
- Mont-Royal park
- cultural zones like: Little Italy, Quartier Chinois, etc.
- Lots More!

• Informative
No need to get both since their networks are interoperable. Actually, a 3rd network. the Electric Circuit, is a better option. It works with the first two networks and the fee for the card ($10+tax is cheaper than the $15 price for the others).
Actually it’s a good idea. When I did my run up to Montreal I ran into a couple of chademos that flo wouldn’t activate (app or card, I had both) so I grabbed their app and had to use that.