Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Monument Valley Scenic Drive - in a Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The three mile road off 163 to the View hotel is paved and that's as far as I'm going. But thanks for the offer :) My route takes me out of Farmington, NM to Blanding, UT, and from Blanding through Monument Valley and then on to Page, AZ. When topped up, the S75 is showing around 240 miles but the first 20 miles or so burn off fairly fast. PV Trip Planner indicates I should be able to make it but the tool doesn't yet have the S75 w/19" wheels built in, so I'm using the data for the S70D, which should be pretty close. I was hoping to add a few miles in Monument Valley. I've sent the hotel an inquiry asking for an update of the availability of BEV charging during both on and off season. I'd prefer HPWC or J1772 charging capability, as 110v (even if available) would just be too long a wait IMO.

Any updates dauger? We would like to visit Monument Valley next year but hesitant due to the lack of reliable charging options and access.

Sorry I don't have any new information; no reply from The View. I don't yet see it on Tesla's Destination map either. Maybe others should join a letter-writing campaign as well?

I was told The View has a shuttle to and from an RV campground which has 14-50's, but I didn't look into the details because of how I structured my trip.

Despite the fact that Blanding is higher altitude than Tuba City, you can see from my website I consumed 220 miles of EPA range even including the Valley loop drive, so I would think it's possible in a 75. Be gentle with the throttle and keep to the speed limits (which the state troopers out there tend to enforce anyway). Before you go, practice efficient driving using longer and longer single-charge day trips. (See the link in my sig for how I learned.)

The Page SC is great to have, but Page-Blanding is longer than Tuba City-Blanding, so until a new charger in that region comes along a stay at the Moenkopi is a good choice. The Moenkopi's hotel is really very nice.

Rumor has it that a Supercharger is coming to Kayenta:
Supercharger - Kayenta, AZ

But no one has found a permit yet. That would be a great way to make it easy to visit that region.

As for switching to another vehicle, I could imagine needing to only if the weather was bad. Anyone can click on the pictures on my site to study the driving surface; that's a reason I posted so many. Once you raise the suspension and avoid the potholes and other irregularities, then if you know how to handle gravel and sand I think you'll be fine. Heck I used 21" wheels with only RWD.

@dauger

Thanks for the update. I have yet to hear back from The View hotel requiring my inquiry. Yes, for that area, a SC placed in Kayenta would be perfect.

Yes, each long drive I take in the 75 gives me a little more confidence over range anxiety. This past week, the wife and I drove from Solvang, CA to our home, a trip of 153 miles. I was still showing 90 miles of range left at the end, which really surprised me, as I'm not sure I could do much more than 230 miles. Keeping it at 65 mph, 80ºF, and 19" wheels, I can probably do 230. Working off a full charge from Blanding, UT, I would like to travel directly to Page, AZ after Monument Valley, which EV Trip Planner says is 194.2 miles. Guess I should be able to make it, I hope.

My S60 has been to / through Monument Valley twice this year.

The first was in March. Route was:
  • Scottsdale to Page via the Flagstaff Supercharger. We stayed at the hotel that now has a Supercharger, but did 120V charging overnight both nights we were there, plus a few hours at the RV park in Page to top up before heading to Monument Valley
  • Page to Monument Valley. We made this with no problems, but did drive the limit. We stayed at Goulding's (rented one of their houses) for 2 nights. Charged at Goulding's campground both nights.
  • Monument Valley to Winslow AZ via Chinle, Gallup Supercharger and Holbrook Supercharger. MV to Holbrook was right at my S60s max range, with no room for reserve; Gallup was a couple rated miles shorter (but meant doubling-back to Holbrook). We stopped in Chinle for a few hours to do a Canyon de Chelly tour, but there was no place to charge. Drove under the limit from MV to Chinle to preserve range, so we probably could have made it to Holbrook, but I played it safe and went to Gallup, driving mostly the speed limit. We made it to Gallup with 12 rated miles to spare. Supercharged at Gallup and Holbrook, then spent the night at La Posada in Winslow, which has a couple Tesla chargers.
  • Winslow to Scottsdale via Cordes Junction Supercharger.

The second was in August at the end of our big road trip this summer (hit 10 states and 1 Canadian province), as we were heading south back home. The last day of the trip was Moab to Scottsdale, and we could either stay Supercharger enabled by going Moab-Blanding-Farmington-Gallup-Holbrook, then cut down to Phoenix via Payson (where a hotel has a HPWC in case we needed a boost charge to get home), or we could significantly reduce the miles and driving time by cutting through Monument Valley to Flagstaff. Here's what we did:
  • Moab to Blanding Supercharger -- charged to about 99% before unplugging (Once we were adding < 1 mile every 2 minutes we unplugged -- at that rate, its the same as using the UMC time wise… We left Moab around 10am.
  • Blanding to Gouldings Campground in Monument Valley. We charged for slightly over 2 hours, adding about 50 miles range (the power was not clean and charging speed was reduced a couple times). We went swimming in the campground pool while waiting… We left Gouldings with 162 rated miles
  • Goulding's to Moenkepi Lodge in Tuba City. This hotel has 2 HPWCs, and we charged for just under 2 hours, adding just under 50 miles. We arrived with 64 rated miles and left with 111.
  • Tuba City to Flagstaff Supercharger. We mostly drove the limit, although we had a pretty strong headwind the entire way, so we slowed down to ~5 under for about 30 min at one point. We arrived with 15 rated miles
  • Flagstaff Supercharger to Scottsdale -- arrived at home around 11pm… Long day.

@ZBB

I'm working my way down from Blanding, UT through MV and then on to Page, AZ. I'm thinking I could really use a bit of power to make the trip without stressing out the last 50 miles. I really don't want to go down to the Moenkopi hotel in Tuba City if I don't have to. I'll lose a day in Page and Antelope Canyon. Last week, a guy on PlugShare complained that no NEMA 14-50's were available (for him?) at Gouldings. That would be a bummer if you were running out of juice. You'd have to stay almost an extra day to get enough power from a 100V outlet for an 60 miles. I'm either staying at Gouldings or The View but I will call to make sure I have a source for charging before taking that route. If push comes to shove, I need to see if I can make a last minute reservation at the Moenkopi.

I wouldn't think every NEMA 14-50 would be taken up by RVs at Gouldings by mid-October but maybe that was the case. The View has not responded to my inquiry I sent them last week. Guess they don't want to be bothered with potential BEV customers.

Sharkbait, I was just at Monument Valley last week with my X. We stayed overnight at the View but went to eat dinner at Goulding's restaurant. You have to go to the Goulding's RV campground and plug in to one of the 4 14-50's that are just about 100 ft to the left of the Campground store. They are in a slightly different area than the main RV campsites which are more behind the store. In the store they charged us $10 and were super friendly. They can call a guy in a minivan "the shuttle" , who will take you to the restaurant about a 1/2 mile away and then when you want to go back to the campground just tell the cashier at the restaurant and she will call the shuttle to take you back. After dinner we walked over and then watched a John Wayne movie in their little theater next to the restaurant. Worked real smooth. Got about 75-80 miles. You can plug into the 120V on the outside of the View hotel overnight. It is just by the door on the ground floor entrance at the middle of the hotel but the parking spot will probably be taken by an ICE. We had no problem getting to Page but if you want , you can stop in Zion and charge at the Visitor center. Good luck.

No time limit. It's 50 amps.I get 26 mph in my X. The sweet young girls that work the store may not be aware that the management allows charging. But there's even a charge code in their register for it. They can print you out a receipt. Just have them call their manager if they don't know about it. You won't have any problem. Be sure to check out Horseshoe Bend in Page.

Reactions: Sharkbait
Yes -- Goulding's does charge. Was $10 one time I was there, and $16 the other time. You could always call ahead and reserve a full spot, but see if you could charge in the morning for a few hours (although they may charge you for a full spot -- but be sure to ask for a 50 Amp outlet -- they directed me to a spare TT-30 one time (which are only 120V…). Once on a 14-50, I mostly was getting 25-26 miles per hour of charge, but there were voltage spikes when we were there in Aug, so the car bumped the amperage down a couple times (it was August, so the spikes could have been all the RV A/C units coming on/off…). No issue with spikes when I was there in March.

I just checked EV Trip Planner. At a 1.0 speed factor (technically the average speed, but should be close to the speed limit on the Navajo Reservation…), it shows you need 90 RM to go the ~125 miles from Gouldings Campground. If you leave Gouldings with ~120RM or so you should be fine making it to Page!

Yes, I find EV Trip Planner a good resource and pretty accurate. The S75 doesn't appear in the configuration box, so I use the data produced by a S70D. It's on the safe side. Slowly getting over range anxiety as I get use to the power consumption of the S75. I think I can get 230 miles on full charge. Even though I'm conservative, I use a 1.1 speed factor for extra buffer (again range anxiety).

After driving through Monument Valley, my family had lunch at the restaurant at The View. It looks like a nice place, but it would be so much easier than going down to the RV camp if they had official Tesla charging. So I wrote the attached letter.

View attachment 193787

I'm trying to make a clear business case for them to do it. If I'm asking there's 1000 other Tesla owners after me who could have patronized their business but didn't. I realize now that the $20 entry fee precludes putting a Supercharger at The View, but Destination Charging seems just right. After my car finishes charging overnight, I'd like to wake up to see sunrise in Monument Valley.

I also cc-ed this letter to the Tesla Destination team, telling them I felt there is a hole in both their Supercharger and Destination Charger maps in this region. My guess is the fact that area is the Navajo Nation has something to do with it, such as, simply slower adoption. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems Moenkopi's Tesla chargers are literally the only Tesla chargers inside the Navajo Nation outer boundary. When I check Tesla's map, Tesla's chargers are just around the periphery of the Navajo Reservation boundary, except Moenkopi.

Maybe Tesla is perceived as a high-tech outsider, making the Navajo Nation reluctant to approve any deal with Tesla? Any insight from those of you who live nearby?

P. S. I began researching charging locations in early 2016, so if I saw The View on Tesla's map back then, I'm nearly certain I would have booked it.

2 years later, i just submitted another request for them to add a destination charger. It's kind of amazing they don't have it. I ended up dropping $65 on charging and food at Goulding's instead.

An extra 10kwh would've been perfect for my shorter range car. or if you don't want to wait for a 100% charge at Blanding UT. Theoretically i could've made it to Page AZ without it but that would've required a bit of hypermiling

Even many Day's Inns have chargers at this point, its a bit surprising to see a destination hotel like that without it.

Last edited:
We've just come back from Monument Valley over Thanksgiving [2021]
We really did have big concerns about charging availability as we drove to Monument Valley from Sedona, the last Supercharger on that route being 150kw's in Flagstaff in the parking lot of a Marriott.

Although somewhat weary of being 'definitive' [recommendations/status can date quickly .. , and often they're prime troll-bait 🙄 ] here's my experience /recommendations, and 'TL-DR' it does blend charging experiences with travel recommendations:

1: Unless you're in an RV [hmm.. then this is all irrelevant...] , stay at The View Hotel [this may seem ironic after you read 2: ]. For starters, that includes your permit into the visitor center/prime photography spot, and you have the option of a pretty supreme balcony room which has wonderful views of the 'Big 3' Butte's and more, depending on where you're room's situated along the length of the building parallel-is to them.

Don't despair if you can't get a balcony room, adjacent to the Hotel [think maybe 100-200 feet] is a supreme viewing area right by the "Visitor Center" [not to be confused with the 'Welcome Center' about 2 miles away ], for photography. Definitely prone to all elements ! But, pareto principle...

Gouldings' location around 5 miles away does have its own views and more options for how you want to accommodate yourself, but nothing like the views at the View Hotel, and, unless on a commercial tour [see below] you'd end up being in the queue of the single lane road approach to the permit booth any time you wanted to take photos or go on the 17 mile drive or the variations of that with a guide [the only way to go off-track]. I'd rate Gouldings' staff very helpful & friendly too.

[Our Charging request/needs were familiar to them [see 3:], although in peak season you might not be able to get access to any kind of [30 or 50amp] site so, beware !]

That entry wait time could be anywhere from 5-10 minutes, to perhaps hours in peak time, and, you might miss out altogether if you wanted to do the 17 mile drive since they shut off access at 2pm, or, whenever they reach 'peak capacity'. The Visitor Center connected to The View Hotel opens at 8am for new 17 mile drive permits , so, you're automatically ahead of that potentially huge traffic line - the permits state an entry timeframe of around 15 minute slot to the 17 mile drive, and you're allowed only 2 hours to complete it , which is quite difficult if you stop at most/each and want to take better-than-cellphone quality pictures with your DSLR etc..&/or if you encounter a lot of traffic.

2: Yes, the View Hotel remains woefully inadequate in terms of charging capability, and unlike Gouldings', their own campsites are 100% 'dry' [no hookups of any kind]

We made multiple phone calls to The View ahead of booking , and were told 'just show up and we can sort you out with something if you have the cables'.
In reality , this is what happened:
  1. We showed up & immediately asked where to plug in,
  2. they asked if we had an extension cord [in addition to the Tesla charging cable kit], we didn't , and none were available unless we drove 60 miles and crossed our fingers we found a hardware store etc
  3. and then pointed out that the only spaces remotely near a single standard outside 110v socket, were already taken, ie even if we'd brought an extension cable for ~ 3-6 MPH charging, still SOL.
So, unless you want to roll the dice..majorly.. here's what I'd recommend/our experience:

3: Gouldings [you must ask for the Campground area when you call, note that they close the office there 8pm] was supremely helpful.
We called up and got allocated a 50 amp site just for charging and we ate at their restaurant there [which was the only nearby option as The View Hotel closed their restaurant even still, due to Covid].
You'll need to request a free shuttle from the Campsite Area to the Restaurant, and back to your car too. Easy enough at either site's cashier.
Gouldings already had a cash register-SKU enabled for 'Smart Car Charging' which was $20.
We got 24-27 MPH charging rate anytime we used it during our 3 days there with our 50-18 adaptor.
Round trip to/from The View Hotel to Gouldings' Campground area - about 9 miles [IIRC]

4: How to charge your car for more than just 90-120 minutes while at the Gouldings' restaurant? Assuming you're in the area for a few days, and going on one of the half/full-day tours only available to permitted Navajo Nation commercial operators [ie that take you off the 17 mile drive] , you can arrange to be picked up/dropped off at Gouldings after you've plugged in.

A *huge* caveat on that pick up/drop off plan though: The commercial tour operation scene in MV is a hornet's nest - you may find that for example Gouldings will not let rival guided tour operators pick up passengers within their 'borders' , [the View Hotel apparently also restricts that based on ... well who knows what] although I would explicitly check with the tour operator you choose to verify. And check with Gouldings too.

We literally experienced our own tour operator being actively sabotaged by a Welcome Center employee [we were scheduled to be picked up there] who told us that our tour guide was operating illegally and to immediately call our credit card company for a refund. In reality, they had a full permit and that Welcome Center employee clearly had a strong motive [$$$ - ???] to lie outright to us & try to convince us to switch to another tour operator. No joke!

5: Lastly, the 'can I drive my Tesla on 17 mile drive ?? ' question.

Well, we took our precious Model S & its 21"'s on it 1 day after a light rainfall.
It's both STEK Dynotek covered 100%, and Ceramic Coated.
The infamous 'red dust' definitely tested that, but, it all rinsed out the next day at a coin-op carwash facility [high pressure rinse only - no lousy dishwasher-quality grey water suds ever go on my baby !]
We did put it in 'highest' suspension mode especially when pulling over at one of the designated landmark spots [ the speed limit for the road is less than 20mph anyhow] , and there was only maybe 2 or 3 places where we double-checked as a precaution to avoid mostly rocks as opposed to holes.

Made it out alive, all ok, no damage, no drama, just great memories.
[Not sure if the "Wholefoods-Parking-lot-judder bars- necessitates-Range-Rover-ownership" crowd ;) had similar concerns or experiences]

The irony of the most-of-year extreme heat/sunlight @ Monument Valley, & yet no [solar enabled] EV chargers etc .. yes remains a frustration, especially since so much care is put in place to preserve the area from over-use and pollution, but who knows what politics & conversations have precluded this thus far. Our Navajo guide told us that in summer, the locals living on the reservation each make up to 3 , 70 mile round-trips per day just to fill up their water tanks, in their pickup trucks.

I personally/selfishly don't see a downside to chargers there, we were in the area 3 days of Thanksgiving Week & didn't see any other EV's there at all, perhaps due to the anticipated hassles. Just a very full parking lot full of 18mpg ICE SUVs .
The only 'coverage' we experienced worse than convenient charger availability, was T-Mobile or Verizon .

Hope my experience/recommendations are helpful !