Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

mooreslawbattery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

traxila

Supporting Member
Nov 25, 2012
NYC
Full page ad on the back of WSJ. New battery chemistry. Promises density advancement along Moores 'law'. Invite only reveal only to 500m plus public companies.

Bombshell for sure if even remotely true.

Anyone have a clue, cause I surely do not.

Skeptical.

If you go to their website, look at the deterioration of the energy density. The two materials they show (which are their 2 lowest density products to start with) demonstrate a loss of energy density of between approx. 40% and 50% with only 175 charging cycles, and the deterioration seems to be pretty linear, so probably would continue on that trend line for greater number of cycles. I would guess, given the presentation, that the higher initial density products show worse loss of density over time. I am not a scientist, but that looks problematic to me.

Still, for the sake of the environment, one can hope they truly have a new and workable solution.

Not even skeptical

The data in the one-page ad is not even up to today's state-of-the-art on energy density or cycle life. A little digging suggests a VC connection, by inference. Can't enumerate how many times I have seen people sucked in by claims like this.

Full page ad on the back of WSJ. New battery chemistry. Promises density advancement along Moores 'law'. Invite only reveal only to 500m plus public companies.

Bombshell for sure if even remotely true.

Anyone have a clue, cause I surely do not.

Skeptical.

If you go to their website, look at the deterioration of the energy density. The two materials they show (which are their 2 lowest density products to start with) demonstrate a loss of energy density of between approx. 40% and 50% with only 175 charging cycles, and the deterioration seems to be pretty linear, so probably would continue on that trend line for greater number of cycles. I would guess, given the presentation, that the higher initial density products show worse loss of density over time. I am not a scientist, but that looks problematic to me.

Still, for the sake of the environment, one can hope they truly have a new and workable solution.

Maybe they meant Murphy's Law!

• The domain is hosted on a shared server which belongs to SquareSpace, registered via GoDaddy, by a tiny marketing/web design firm in Texas (doesn't look like a new operation tho).
  • I've checked the background of the folks involved (and a bunch of other official records), don't see anything special.
  • If this was the real deal, I think said company would have used a service such as Mark Monitor.
  • The form on the website points to https://battery-meeting.squarespace.com, but there's no additional info.
  • It looks like they used a Mac (and Adobe ImageReady) to create some of the images, which were created by taking a screenshot of something on the 15th of February. So this was a rush operation for sure, and screams inexperienced.

This is either a marketing stunt (highly likely) for this marketing company, some sort of information gathering process for a report/ad campaign/investors, or another startup which thinks it figured out something new, but hasn't even figured out a way of mass producing it yet.

disclaimer: permission to reproduce any or all parts this post outside teslamotorsclub.com is explicitly denied.

Last edited: