TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

mooreslawbattery

Discussion in 'Battery Discussion' started by traxila, Feb 23, 2016.

1. traxila

traxila Member

Full page ad on the back of WSJ. New battery chemistry. Promises density advancement along Moores 'law'. Invite only reveal only to 500m plus public companies.

Bombshell for sure if even remotely true.

Anyone have a clue, cause I surely do not.

2. Johan

Johan Took a TSLA bear test. Came back negative.

Maybe it's Nunzio La Vecchia (from NanoFlowcell Quant) who's behind this? Seems like his style.

LOL.

3. lance p

lance p Member

Skeptical.

If you go to their website, look at the deterioration of the energy density. The two materials they show (which are their 2 lowest density products to start with) demonstrate a loss of energy density of between approx. 40% and 50% with only 175 charging cycles, and the deterioration seems to be pretty linear, so probably would continue on that trend line for greater number of cycles. I would guess, given the presentation, that the higher initial density products show worse loss of density over time. I am not a scientist, but that looks problematic to me.

Still, for the sake of the environment, one can hope they truly have a new and workable solution.

4. phigment

phigment Member

Like April 1st?

5. YBT

YBT Member

My first thought as well. Sounds like the kind of bombastic fantasy scam Mr. La Vecchia likes to throw out every few years.

6. brianb

brianb New Member

Not even skeptical

The data in the one-page ad is not even up to today's state-of-the-art on energy density or cycle life. A little digging suggests a VC connection, by inference. Can't enumerate how many times I have seen people sucked in by claims like this.

7. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I see stuff like this and think of Gordon Moore in his apple orchard, just shaking his head. 'Moore's Law' has been so misused in so many places.

Hope it's all true, but there would be no need for hype if it was. So I'm dubious.

8. EdA

EdA Model S P-2540

Maybe they meant Murphy's Law!

9. EVenthusiast

EVenthusiast Member

#9 EVenthusiast, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    • The domain is hosted on a shared server which belongs to SquareSpace, registered via GoDaddy, by a tiny marketing/web design firm in Texas (doesn't look like a new operation tho).
    • I've checked the background of the folks involved (and a bunch of other official records), don't see anything special.
    • If this was the real deal, I think said company would have used a service such as Mark Monitor.
    • The form on the website points to https://battery-meeting.squarespace.com, but there's no additional info.
    • It looks like they used a Mac (and Adobe ImageReady) to create some of the images, which were created by taking a screenshot of something on the 15th of February. So this was a rush operation for sure, and screams inexperienced.

This is either a marketing stunt (highly likely) for this marketing company, some sort of information gathering process for a report/ad campaign/investors, or another startup which thinks it figured out something new, but hasn't even figured out a way of mass producing it yet.

disclaimer: permission to reproduce any or all parts this post outside teslamotorsclub.com is explicitly denied.