Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More anti-ev gibberish

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
More fluff stories that fail to consider that, due to a whole range of issues, most people can't walk to work.

On the higher up stuff, I'm an environmentalist, and I think fracking has some legit issues to address that may even warrant stopping the practice possibly (dependent on further research), but I don't really have a problem conceptually with mining for metals. We need metal to build stuff. Each mine may have it's own environmental impact that needs assessment, but I have nothing against mining in general.

More fluff stories that fail to consider that, due to a whole range of issues, most people can't walk to work.

On the higher up stuff, I'm an environmentalist, and I think fracking has some legit issues to address that may even warrant stopping the practice possibly (dependent on further research), but I don't really have a problem conceptually with mining for metals. We need metal to build stuff. Each mine may have it's own environmental impact that needs assessment, but I have nothing against mining in general.

Same here. I think it's important to pass strong environmental regulations about mining, about restoring the terrain, etc, and to allocate nature preserves which mining doesn't occur in. But all in all, minerals need to come from somewhere. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. I'm sitting here typing on a computer, on a desk, in a building, in a city, all made out of mineral resources. I cannot disavow mining without being a total hypocrite.

And actually I like concepts that involve recovery of resources without stripping overburden. This includes fracking to help develop liquid resources. Thanks to fracking, my home is going to have geothermal hot water. They increased the flow an order of magnitude from the borehole with a couple fracking pulses, enough to feed my valley. Again, it all comes down to proper quantification of risks before mass adoption of any technology, and proper regulation to contain them.

Perfection will never be achieved, but we can strive for it.

My biggest issue is that it seems that developers and officials here always go for "what's cheapest", rather than ever being willing to spend an extra króna or two per kWh to choose "what does the same thing with the least impact". For example, they're always going for the highest temperature geothermal resources and massive hydro plants, when we don't even bother to convert lower temperature geo (that we produce in massive quantities) to electricity because it costs a bit more per kWh than the higher-temperature geo plants and big hydro. We literally take the hot water from wells and just mix it with cold to get it to the distribution temperature. What a waste :Þ

I made it about half way through it and concluded life is too short to waste time and brain cells that way. I already know how ignorant the other side of reality can be.
I don't know why it has to be so difficult. Supporting moving towards clean sustainable energy should be an easy ace in the hole that most everyone happily supports. Fossil fuels have served their purpose admirably in the past, but it's past time to move on.

Seriously. I shouldn't have to focus my life on advancing this rudimentary and obvious issue. I should be able to move on to things more in line with my profession. But here we are. Leadership and populace doing little and intent on doing even less. And a few of us who recognize the obvious need have to keep picking up more and more of the slack.

Last edited:
Appeared as a sponsored post on my Facebook timeline.

20180311_210451.jpg

As one of the commenters there points out:

20180311_210717.jpg