Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More anti-ev gibberish

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The fossil fuel industry has an unfathomable amount to lose from widespread adoption of EVs. They will use subtle as well as blatant methods to spread their propaganda. It's no surprise that the author, Michael Lynch, is the president and director of global petroleum service at Strategic Energy & Economic Research.

The fossil fuel industry has an unfathomable amount to lose from widespread adoption of EVs. They will use subtle as well as blatant methods to spread their propaganda. It's no surprise that the author, Michael Lynch, is the president and director of global petroleum service at Strategic Energy & Economic Research.

It's all very short-term thinking. Reducing demand would extend the life of their product and the lifetimes of their companies.

If EVs really are as lame as they are claiming, then they wouldn't be afraid of them. So clearly they know the truth.

Petersen piling on with another one, this time looking only at CO2, even though he has admitted he doesn't believe in global warming or the impacts of CO2
http://seekingalpha.com/article/915081-electric-vehicles-front-loading-the-co2-emissions

- - - Updated - - -

Thumper, the LCA analysis was actually pretty bad. The main reason was that they decided to use 150000 km as their cut off. That is an very low number and well below the typical life of a modern car. They also mentioned that others used 200,000 km which is normal and gives EVs an advantage. Interesting LCA but its tripe since their initial premise is wrong and unreasonable

Renim found some interesting other errors, where the study apparently used industrial motors and inverters, much much larger and resource intensive than EV components, to calculate their environmental impacts: http://seekingalpha.com/article/910111-electric-vehicles-front-loading-the-filth#comment-10321661

Renim points out grave errors in the study: calculations based on electric motors weighing 900 kgs and inverters with some 30+ kgs of copper in them, etc.

JP's reply: "Successfully picking one or two nits does not destroy the validity of a comprehensive study."

Well mr. Petersen, it does if it proves fundamental flaws in said study, no matter how many pages it consists of. No model and no result is better than the data you put in to it. Invalid data gives invalid results. Period.

JP is the definition of 'tool'. A common response from him includes insulting the person's intelligence and reasoning skills and trying to prove that he is right and they have no clue what they are talking about.

Your beliefs about the availability of metal resources is naive beyond belief. I'm amazed that a supposed adult would even consider the arguments you favor, much less press them.

Please educate yourself about the facts before spouting nonsense.

Maybe we should all start calling SeekingAlpha customer service to complain about JP
Contact us - Seeking Alpha
646-248-7597

I sent them an e-mail to start. My comments are in moderation there and get deleted by the moderation team.

This got deleted for some reason:
Do you really need to insult people's intelligence or reasoning skills with each of your responses? Seriously.

I assume JP is the one doing the moderation?

Can file formal dispute here if you have factual information to correct
Dispute an article form - Seeking Alpha

Ok. We'll see if comments like this will get through moderation and yes, I did draw upon the Three Amigos for inspiration

That is why we have come to depend on experts like you. Without people with your superior intellect and knowledge to point out things that most humans wouldn't notice, we would be lost.

Last edited:
This is amazing. I reported one of JP's personal attacks (since they said I was doing the same but I was just posting a comment telling him to not attack people and that somehow turned into a personal attack) and got this

You reported the comment below as problematic and it has been deleted. We strive to make Seeking Alpha a place for polite discussion, and we do not tolerate attacks on users or contributors. Therefore, we delete problematic comments that come to our attention, but we never delete material merely because it disagrees with an author's opinion.

Please continue to help the community by reporting abusive comments (those which contain obscenities or highly insulting language about another user or the topic under discussion; personal attacks on another user or contributor; blanket dismissal of another user's ideas) and inappropriate comments (spam, persistent promotions, material that is clearly unrelated to the discussion in question, or comments posted in ALL CAPS).

Thank you for helping to make our community a more congenial place for serious discussion.

Seeking Alpha
Moderation Team

-----------------
User Data:
Posted by: John Petersen
Content Data:
Content submitted on October 9, 2012, 11:34
On Article Electric Vehicles: Front Loading The Filth by John Petersen
Original comment:
Your beliefs about the availability of metal resources is naive beyond belief. I'm amazed that a supposed adult would even consider the arguments you favor, much less press them. Please educate yourself about the facts before spouting nonsense.
Comment in reply to Dave_M on Article: Electric Vehicles: Front Loading The Filth

If enough people report his posts (only the ones where he resorts to personal attacks when he can't come up with a good response), maybe that'll cut back on his negative comments. He'll still post ignorant things but at least he'll be on topic.

There is a possible error in this rebuff from Renim because he assumes the EV motor has the same proportion of materials as the stationary ABB motor they are compairing against. However, a large part of that motor is "electrical steel" which he states is used for the stator and rotor. However, as we know, the Tesla motor has a copper rotor, so the copper content of the motor will be proportionately higher. Whether that makes up the difference I don't know.

- - - Updated - - -

Bobbyllew picks up on the 1 ton motor thing

http://llewblog.squarespace.com/electric-cars/2012/10/11/the-truth-will-out.html

JP is the definition of 'tool'. A common response from him includes insulting the person's intelligence and reasoning skills and trying to prove that he is right and they have no clue what they are talking about.

Maybe we should all start calling SeekingAlpha customer service to complain about JP
Contact us - Seeking Alpha
646-248-7597

I sent them an e-mail to start. My comments are in moderation there and get deleted by the moderation team.

This got deleted for some reason:

I assume JP is the one doing the moderation?

Can file formal dispute here if you have factual information to correct
Dispute an article form - Seeking Alpha

Ok. We'll see if comments like this will get through moderation and yes, I did draw upon the Three Amigos for inspiration

I like this approach, I stopped commenting because it only drew personal attacks and that was tiring. Didn't consider that JP was actually not allowed to do that. I contacted Seeking Alpha with several examples where JP violates the terms and conditions in his comments, we'll see if the moderators step in.