Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More anti-Solar shenanigans :(

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The plot thickens... stay tuned....

Screen Shot 2018-09-07 at 3.50.10 PM.png

Can't you install the solar so it cannot back-feed to avoid the fee? Basically, the solar is off-grid but your batteries can charge from the grid if needed.

That's not how the fees are structured. They're charging you for using less electricity because you have solar. Back-feeding or not back-feeding is irrelevant. The 'justification' is that since the infrastructure is there to support you at night then they need to charge an extra fee for having solar. Only way to avoid it is to go off-grid.

That's not how the fees are structured. They're charging you for using less electricity because you have solar. Back-feeding or not back-feeding is irrelevant. The 'justification' is that since the infrastructure is there to support you at night then they need to charge an extra fee for having solar. Only way to avoid it is to go off-grid.
Wow. That's so much worse than I thought. Instituting it as a kind of reverse demand fee is almost logical, but what they're doing is just money grubbing, plain and simple.

Wow. That's so much worse than I thought. Instituting it as a kind of reverse demand fee is almost logical, but what they're doing is just money grubbing, plain and simple.

Here's what makes it SUPER-crazy.... Imagine you have 8kW in 'Bama so you're paying ~$40/mo to the local utility gestapo. You go on vacation. You miiiight get ~$0.03/kWh (cost avoided) for what you export. So you pay $40 for having solar... and get paid ~$30 for the excess energy you exported. You're literally paying them $10 for exporting energy to the grid for them to sell....... beyond insane.

• Informative
Reactions: Sherlo and Brando
Here's what makes it SUPER-crazy.... Imagine you have 8kW in 'Bama so you're paying ~$40/mo to the local utility gestapo. You go on vacation. You miiiight get ~$0.03/kWh (cost avoided) for what you export. So you pay $40 for having solar... and get paid ~$30 for the excess energy you exported. You're literally paying them $10 for exporting energy to the grid for them to sell....... beyond insane.
Do they do any net metering at all, or is every kWh imported retail and every kWh exported wholesale? Some utilities also do net metering but settle every month. In those cases you cannot bank Summer production for Winter consumption.

We have the same problem in California and the non profit called Solar Rights Alliance is fighting the power companies.

How bad are their fees? 7.28/kW is BY FAR the worst I've seen. Even Rate 59 was 'only' the equivalent of ~$5/kW and in it's finally iteration was based on consumption AND production so if you weren't home for a month you didn't pay much. In Farmington you could be out of town for a month... use ~0kWh and if you have a 10kW system still pay ~$73 for having solar.

How bad are their fees? 7.28/kW is BY FAR the worst I've seen. Even Rate 59 was 'only' the equivalent of ~$5/kW and in it's finally iteration was based on consumption AND production so if you weren't home for a month you didn't pay much. In Farmington you could be out of town for a month... use ~0kWh and if you have a 10kW system still pay ~$73 for having solar.
We do not have that fee yet and the last time Pacific Graft and Extortion tried to get it thru the CPUC it failed by 1 vote. Plus like NM the public was outraged and I’m sure they will try again, so that is what the SRA is trying to prevent. They do keep raising the delivery charges and use the same old BS line that solar customers are not paying their fair share because we get our power from the sun. Honestly I do not mind paying for my fair share of maintaining the infrastructure, but as you know from the last 3 years of fires that money went to the investors and CEO’s and not to maintain the infrastructure.

Reactions: cpa