Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More "Bang" for your buck than Solar PV!?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

nwdiver

Feb 17, 2013
United States
With the light bulb ban going into effect Jan 1... here is some interesting math: A single 60w incandescent bulb uses ~45kWh more than its CFL/LED counterpart over the 1000 hour life of that bulb. So, if you can buy that bulb (and destroy it) for <$0.45 then you're paying ~$0.01 to "save" a kWh. I paid ~$15000 for a 10kWp array that will produce ~360000 kWh over 20 years or ~$0.04/kWh.

So... it's a mathematical fact that buying the remaining incandescent inventory and destroying it is $/$ a more cost effective way of reducing CO2 than buying solar panels...

Once they're gone they're gone. Law states they cannot be manufactured or imported. Bulb smashing party?

Don't forget to add in the cost of a good bulb (Home Depot sells a great 60W equivalent Cree bulb for $10 which uses 9.5W), but since the LED is supposed to last 25,000 hours, at least in terms of use per hour, the LED is already cheaper than the incandescent ($0.40 / 1000 hours vs $0.50 / 1000 hours) ignoring the 50 kWh per 1000 hours of use you're saving.

I have a couple of these Cree bulbs and they work great. Just slightly directional towards the top compared to an incandescent or CFL. I'm just waiting for my CFLs to die so I can eventually replace them with these bulbs.

I'm still looking for a good LED motion-sensor outdoor floor light with good directional light output (so I can also avoid unnecessary light pollution, see Internal Dark-Sky Organization), though. Although since those outdoor lights are on motion sensors and rarely stay on for more than a few minutes, the energy savings from replacing those bulbs is minimal.