Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More broken stuff = more pictures for you

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

cinergi

Sep 17, 2010
MA
Abridged version: a 12V controller (involved in controlling 12V stuff like lights) was suspected to be faulty and needed replacement. There's a whole lot of story I'm leaving out for the moment as it's long and painful and I don't care to write it up yet but thought I'd share the photos from the dash being taken apart ...

Hi-rez versions and captions are available via the album.

IMG_0602.JPG

IMG_0603.JPG

IMG_0604.JPG

IMG_0605.JPG

IMG_0605.JPG

IMG_0607.JPG

IMG_0608.JPG

IMG_0609.JPG

IMG_0610.JPG

IMG_0611.JPG

IMG_0612.JPG

IMG_0613.JPG

IMG_0614.JPG

IMG_0615.JPG

IMG_0616.JPG

Yikes! That is a substantial "in the field" repair operation. I am surprised they didn't want to have it in the shop for that.
By the way, do you know the function of the two black boxes in the bottom of this picture?
IMG_0613.JPG

Are they "floating" in some cutouts in some kind of foam material?

Yikes! That is a substantial "in the field" repair operation. I am surprised they didn't want to have it in the shop for that.

It's remarkably easy to tear it down to that point -- maybe 30 minutes. I'm 200 miles from the nearest service center so it's definitely easier and cheaper for them to send someone up for a couple hours (and they tend to batch area jobs together).

By the way, do you know the function of the two black boxes in the bottom of this picture?
Are they "floating" in some cutouts in some kind of foam material?

They're both for the Alpine ... I'm not remembering off the top of my head, but it would be something like the Sirius module, or GPS, or whatever other options there are for the unit. And yup, they're floating in a cutout in a block of foam.

wow thats a rats nest of wires back there...you would think the wires would be a bit more organized in some sort of loom instead of just being stuffed back there