Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More cells than a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is very cool ! Shipping uses a lot of fuel. Boats don't do much stop/start, so hybrid regen braking isn't going to help a lot, but having all that deck space for solar panels is nice.

OK, thanks. Yes, I see they use it to power the electrics while in port so they don't have the run the engine to keep things powered up.
Good way to reduce port pollution I guess.

OK, thanks. Yes, I see they use it to power the electrics while in port so they don't have the run the engine to keep things powered up.
Good way to reduce port pollution I guess.

The pollution is a big deal in some ports with all those large diesel/heavy oil systems. But overall it's a subsidized project to lower CO2 emissions. It'll also be a good test of battery longevity.

I'm sure the panels and batteries will be of some benefit for the electrical systems while crossing as well.

The batteries will act as ballast, so they don't take up space in the hold and I suspect that any additional weight won't be a big deal.

Next up would be to add sails. ;)

There have been electric motorhomes too:
Winston (Thunder Sky) RV EV
MVP RV World's First All Electric Class C Motorhome
Winston Battery Limited
First All-Electric Motorhome Introduced at Louisville RV Show

Vans with Tesla battery pack:
Freightliner Taps Tesla To Build an Electric Truck | Autopia | Wired.com
electric-van-tesla-photo.jpg

Reminds me of the congestion charge stuff in inner cities. Where a vehicle like the Volt/Ampera could run in EV mode when in town, then switch to gas when driving between cities.

At some point, ports could put surcharges (or fines?) on boats that don't switch to solar+battery power when in port. That would certainly encourage more boats to do this sort of thing.