Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More crappy Tesla service experience. 2 days to switch the wheels!!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I got my Tesla, they gave me the wrong rear wheels. I was promised 265 on the rear, which was the only reason I ordered the 21" wheels. After a **** load of crap from Tesla and taking 2 months for them to arrive, I finally got to take my car in today.

(Valet service pickup or car return is not available. Can't even offer me a lift to the MTR station)

Guess what, it takes 2 days for them to swap out 4 wheels!!! (2 front rims get reused, but will get Michelin tires mounted on them. The rear wheels are completely replaced with the 265 width rims).
Seriously, I'm no mechanic, but I've seen tires replaced before. I'm pretty sure I could do it in 2 hours myself. I even told the service manager this and asked if I can do it myself using their equipment.

The service manager said it takes 2 days because the car computer needs to reset itself. The TPMS needs to register the new rim size. Did he lie to me? A change in wheel width requires a 2 day computer adjustment?

The car takes less time to build at the factory.

Tesla HK service, get your **** together...

no, this is true
I swap back and forth between different diameter and width wheels often. The car gets confused and thinks you are losing traction and does odd stuff either with regen or on takeoffs. It will drop power or drop regen to 0. I just turn off traction control for the first couple of days (recent firmware seems to take longer than just a couple of trips) and that takes care of it.

P85D? I don't kown ..they probably weren't lying since you can't turn off TC

crappy safety feature(not service) but it is a good thing that the car knows if the front or rear is spinning faster for some reason
they should have explained if they know

Last edited:
I just swapped out my OEM 21" (sorry, they got me the right staggered setup when delivered) for aftermarket 20"; I was going to get the tire shop to reuse the sensors from the OEM wheels but he said the factory tightened it too much into the valve stem.

So I drove without the TPMS. Obviously the warning light came on saying "low pressure, pull over safely". What I did next was just follow the video instruction here; looks like it's done with a simple tap on a button in the maintenence & reset section in the menu":

And from here: Will MS work with aftermarket Tire Pressure sensors? | Forums | Tesla Motors

"Captain_Zap | NOVEMBER 26, 2013With the new software update there is a TMPS reset switch on your control screen. There isn't a need to use a special tool anymore.
My new wheels are being put on today."

I did that and the warning went off but after about 50kms, the warning came up again but instead of saying low pressure, it's a smaller warning note saying to service the sensors soon.

But if I had the sensors actually installed, it should be as simple as pushing the button and it re-calibrates itself..... like the video shows, doesn't take 2 days..... sounds like they simply do not have enough technicians to maintain all the cars that are sold.

Again, love my Tesla, but the facts needs to be laid out and not sugar coated if we want to help Tesla grow outside of the USA. A bit frustrating Tesla US and media are posting all these wonderful stories of valet pick up, courtesy cars, power train swap; it makes people a little cynical.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had my wheels changed to aftermarket 20" from OEM 19" .... While I drove off with the new wheels, the low pressure alert comes, and I just simply reset the Tire Pressure Sensor with 21" wheels !!
However, after around a month with the new Version 7 of the software update, I could now monitor the car status with tire pressure on each wheels, and one day one of the wheel drop to 2.5 bar (all other is 2.7 bar) and the low tire pressure alert is on again ....
This time really cause me some trouble to solve it .... so I just get the tire back to 2.7 bar but the alert still keeps on and no matter how long I drive or how many times I reset the TPMS, the alert doesn't goes off !! Therefore I search online and realize that Tesla set the default psi/bar for 19" is 45/3.1 and 21" is 42/2.9 !!
So what I do is have the tire pump up over to 43 or 44 psi, that way I believe the Models S will sense the tire pressure as up to standard and the alert goes off, and after that you may leak some air and make it back to 42. Hoepfully it can help to share my little experience with the TPMS alert.

A sensor shouldn't take 2 days to "Reset"

I had asked if they were short staffed and if I should bring my car back first thing tomorrow morning, so I could get it done in 1 day. The service guy kept saying it really takes 2 days.

Quite disappointed. The service in Hong Kong is really bad and it really feels like the service guys are trying to bluff their way around when interacting with customers. I guess most typical car owners in HK don't have much DIY experience, so normally they can get away with it.

I think the OP means it's not normal to pay for an orange and gets an apple and the store goes "ops" and then to wait two days to just exchange for the orange when it finally arrives

Or no no no wait yes you're right WE ARE THE KING OF THE WORLD CAUSE WE BOUGHT THE SAME CAR AS YOU! :tongue:

Actually maybe just that fact I bought the same car as someone who thinks companies should just ignore customers and customers should be OH SO GRATEFUL is embarrassing enough... :biggrin:

In all seriousness the think what irks me most about you picking on anyone who shares their problems is that you are pushing people away from the Tesla community. So now if a new owner faces a problem they'll be afraid to share at the risk of being judged and called "selfish" (for sharing an issue?!). If I read this post before picking up mine it would have helped me AND Tesla by reminding the delivery team to check that the car will be delivered to spec. Or if not available then it would give more time to Tesla team to offer up a solution instead of a surprise to everyone when people go pick up their cars. If it was some clown whining about oh they didn't give me a free umbrella or the guy who ran his bumper over the curb and ripped it off and blame Tesla then yea by all means shoot them down with your e-thug bullying but this is not the case and I hope for your sake you can tell the difference.

Last edited:
I'm wondering if some of you are being serious, if it's a joke or if you think you're important because you bought a Tesla. Read you post again and see if you aren't embarrassed by what you've written.

I placed an order with them for a specific product and they promised to deliver. Simple as that.
I would expect that of any transaction.

I don't care what brand or product it is, as a customer of theirs, I should be very important to them.
Why should I be embarrassed? It is right to expect to get what you pay for and when a mistake is made, that mistake corrected in a prompt, timely manner.

If it was my business and a customer's order had an issue, I would definitely be taking every step possible to fix the problem without the customer having to do any extra leg work.

You can't order a MS with the wheel set you received. So they provided you with custom wheel sizes because you asked, at no charge, and you're upset that they took too long? How much do you think they spent on your swap out tires and rear wheels? $1500 maybe+ God knows how much to ship them to Hong Kong (and you wonder why it takes 2 months) ? Of which you apparently paid zero?

If you had paid Tesla for the customization, I'd say you have a very valid complaint having to wait too long. Considering you paid exactly the same amount as someone who got the standard wheels and tires, you should be writing them a thank-you letter.

Last edited:
You can't order a MS with the wheel set you received. So they provided you with custom wheel sizes because you asked, at no charge, and you're upset that they took too long? How much do you think they spent on your swap out tires and rear wheels? $1500 maybe+ God knows how much to ship them to Hong Kong (and you wonder why it takes 2 months) ? Of which you apparently paid zero?

If you had paid Tesla for the customization, I'd say you have a very valid complaint having to wait too long. Considering you paid exactly the same amount as someone who got the standard wheels and tires, you should be writing them a thank-you letter.

Ah..... The OP ordered staggered wheels, and they delivered non staggered. How is that "can't order the MS with the wheels you wanted"? It's actually he already ORDERED the wheels he wanted and Tesla delivered something else. And he PAID for it, not like how you tried to make it look like he never paid.

When I checked in October they delivered staggered if you choose the 39k 21" wheel option. They are of different sizes and costs than a non staggered set up. This is NOT a "custom" set up, many other owners and I received this set up as per our paid purchases.

If the OP only paid for 19" or when he ordered and Tesla never promised staggered AND he's complaining to get FREE staggered set up then yea he's wrong to be crying about it. But this is not the case, read what he actually wrote and explained pretty clearly..... So it probably costed Tesla to reship the correct wheels he ordered that's called paying for your own mistakes so customers get what they paid for. The least expensive would have been if they shipped the correct items the customer ordered the first time. When I swapped out my staggered 21" for aftermarket wheels, the tire shop swapped out the TPMS and I just pressed a button in the menu to reset TPMS and I was done in 30 mins!

So I should write Tesla a thank you letter for delivering my car with panoramic roof like I paid for? I should be thankful and kissing their feet for not delivering a car without panoramic roof that I paid for?? Even though I consider myself a huge fan boy as I bought the car without even test driving one (and actually let friends test drive mine as a recommendation for the Model S), there are just so many fan boys here that loves to jump to Tesla's defense no matter what it's kinda sad... You ask people to share experiences and no one says a word here; when someone shares an issue and suddenly everyone come out of no where to tell him to shut up you can't say anything bad about Tesla....

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity, is tesla delivering staggered 21'' wheels (245/265) now? I thought the wheels are squared step (245/245). Did you put an special order? How much extra did you pay for it? Thanks.

They did for a few months, my October delivery came with staggered set up AS I ORDERED IT AND SPECIFIED ON THE ORDER DETAILS, it is NOT "customized".
Read my post about it here: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...staggered-non-staggered-wheel-size-and-offset
Tesla recently discontinued this and lots of people have their own theories as to why

- - - Updated - - -

In all fairness maybe the OP or moderator could rename the subject of the post to something like "delays for purchased staggered wheels delivery for a month and installation takes 2 days"; maybe fan boys get so riled up with "crappy Tesla service" they are too emotional to read what the OP actually said the issue was.

Last edited:

When I ordered the car last year, the sale person saw my old car and the staggered wheels, then specifically said that ordering the 21" rims meant that it would come with a staggered setup. This was later confirmed again from Tesla a few months later, during the time when they were calling everyone to confirm if they wanted to keep their premium/performance seats.

It was not a custom wheel size, it was what Tesla offered at the time of sale, which is why I selected the 21" option.

The car was then delivered almost 12 months after ordering, with the wrong wheels.

As to your point about cost of shipping the parts to Hong Kong, if Amazon sent the wrong stuff to you, would you expect them to correct the mistake in a timely manner? Would you expect them to cover the cost of that correction?
Oh and don't forget that Teslas sold overseas are more expensive because they include an international delivery cost premium. As will any parts and accessories. This premium would also already factor in some warranty and replacement part delivery costs.
I did not pay Zero.

When I ordered the car last year, the sale person saw my old car and the staggered wheels, then specifically said that ordering the 21" rims meant that it would come with a staggered setup. This was later confirmed again from Tesla a few months later, during the time when they were calling everyone to confirm if they wanted to keep their premium/performance seats.

It was not a custom wheel size, it was what Tesla offered at the time of sale, which is why I selected the 21" option.

The car was then delivered almost 12 months after ordering, with the wrong wheels.

As to your point about cost of shipping the parts to Hong Kong, if Amazon sent the wrong stuff to you, would you expect them to correct the mistake in a timely manner? Would you expect them to cover the cost of that correction?
Oh and don't forget that Teslas sold overseas are more expensive because they include an international delivery cost premium. As will any parts and accessories. This premium would also already factor in some warranty and replacement part delivery costs.
I did not pay Zero.

People from US don't understand how Tesla fouls HK buyers. We ordered our P85D last year, with delivery time in 8-10 months. Then delay for 2-3 months, that is good according to Tesla's time frame.

During the long waiting period, Tesla kept changing (should be downgrading) the specification such as no more staggered tyre and performance suspension setting. They would not notify you and assume you need to take what it is. You could try to call and ask but these young nice kids have not much idea about the car. I guess most of them have not owned any car ever. They reply like an auto-answering machine, or they will ask you to read the manual. That may not be a bad idea. I had a chance to sit inside the demo car with a young beautiful sale girls reading through the manual together for 30 mins to look for some clarification.:rolleyes:

Needless to say, the day before you receive P85, Tesla launches P85D and the day before they you receive P85D, Tesla launches P90D. Tesla is wonderful, always a step ahead of you.

Tesla has a wonderful on-line ordering system and you can chase the order there. That's a good idea, for Tesla only, and you might find your order changed without notifying you (I have an item removed and gor known only until I received the final invoice). Then I develop a habit to keep a print copy of all the doc including all terms and conditions related. But I once got an explanation from Tesla that those document couldn't prove anything because my order number was not on the paper. FXXX. :cursing:

Tesla is a lousy company but this lousy company make a nice car to some extent.